The Student Room Group

Can someone help me with this maths problems?

A greengrocer admits his scales are biased , so he sells you 2kg of apples by firstly measuring 1kg with weights on the left and apples on the right, then 1kg with weights on tge right and apples on the left. Who benefits?
Original post by sadunicorn
A greengrocer admits his scales are biased , so he sells you 2kg of apples by firstly measuring 1kg with weights on the left and apples on the right, then 1kg with weights on tge right and apples on the left. Who benefits?

I think its you. if we say that one sides weighs 50% more than it seems. In one scenario, he uses 1.5kg of weights and gives you 1.5kg of apples. Ont he other side you have 1 kg of weights and 0.667kg of apples. Add the apple masses together and you get 2.167kg, which is more than the 2kg you were meant to be sold.
Reply 2
Original post by an_atheist
I think its you. if we say that one sides weighs 50% more than it seems. In one scenario, he uses 1.5kg of weights and gives you 1.5kg of apples. Ont he other side you have 1 kg of weights and 0.667kg of apples. Add the apple masses together and you get 2.167kg, which is more than the 2kg you were meant to be sold.

Thank you. Do you think I also use moments to work it out?
Reply 3
Someone???
Original post by sadunicorn
Thank you. Do you think I also use moments to work it out?

I dont know tbh. I cant really see how you could use moments to do it.

Quick Reply

Latest