The Student Room Group

Training Contract Chances

hey everyone! I have the following situation

I have just graduated from Exeter University. It is a great university based on rankings, it is a part of Russel group and is within top 10 best UK unies in most of the lists.

I have completed a Law degree (LLB) and Have attained a strong 2.1 overall. In my first year I got 44% overall, with most of models being 42% and some 60% (I had sever anxiety and panic attacks and depression). In my second year I got 61% overall, with half of my modules being 67% and the other half 54% (I kid you not, i am just unlucky, but I had sever illness due to a complicated allergy. I basically spent 2 months in hospitals and one month recovering). In my third and final year I scored 67%, with most of almost all of my modules being 68% and two being 64%. So I think my academic record is within a good range to apply for a TC.

In terms of my extra-curriculum, I had a 2 weeks work experience at Hogan Lovells, and also worked as an administrator at a Mediation firm for a month. i am also undergoing a Career Mentor scheme, where I am partnered with a partner at a top city law firm, who provides some insights into the world of law for me.

Some other information: I am half Ukranian, Half Belgian. I speak 4 languages, and generally consider myself very sociable and hard-working.

However, I am just NOW starting to apply for TCs, and I was wondering if you guys could tell me what are my chances of getting a TC, based on these circumstances?

MANY THAAANKS
Original post by JohnGreek
That 44% is gonna put a serious question mark over your ability to produce consistent levels of work. Make sure that you do your best to explain the reasons behind it in detail. The final two years average out to a 64%, which doesn't count as a strong 2.1 (typically 65-66%+), unless your grades are only calculated on the basis of the third year. Even then, they're going to see the 44% and 61%, which don't exactly look that great.

I'm not quite sure as to why you're hyping up Exeter so much. It won't make or break your application.

Work experience is decent but not amazing. Seems well-focused on the legal sector, even though I'm sure that having a complementary bit of work experience in the industry of interest (e.g. one of financial institutions, consultancies, tech companies, etc) is always a bonus. It's good to see you having worked for a month and a half, even though you should keep in mind that a number of TC applicants have months or years of paid work under their belt (either paralegalling, or working in entry-level roles in other sectors). That gives them so much more insight into the fine nuances of working in a corporate, possibly client-facing role, something that grad rec will be aware of.

Im not sure how many decimal places he wants the % calculation of his chance to be.

I think law firms will know where Exteter is.

For the variance in marjs then you have the dilemma the more they say they couldnt cope and had depression......

All depends where they are applying.

Didnt think the w experience was strong considering.
Original post by JohnGreek
Fair enough. It seems that the OP is going to be applying to City commercial firms given his Hogan Lovells/Mediation background, so a bit of industry-specific work experience shouldn't go amiss. I don't think that the partner-mentor thing is going to be CV-able.

Agreed on the grades, but I think that he should have a decent time explaining them if he puts some exogenous reason as their cause (e.g. bereavement, mental health), and not some stress-related cause ('I couldn't sleep before exams because I was too nervous':wink:. But then again, mental health may be a major turn-off for some grad recruiters, even if they're not willing to admit it.

Afterthought: the 44% may get him rejected from the tougher firms that use automatic cut-offs for grades. An overall Third will probably fail such restrictions, even if it was only in one year.

Agree. It depends how far up the food chain he applies and ofc the quality of his application. The languages are good though.

He will soon find out when he starts getting the replies back. JSP might have a firmer idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending