The Student Room Group

Birmingham trio avoid jail after racing at 134mph

What is even more shocking apparently the judge praised them for indicating when changing lanes http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/birmingham-trio-caught-racing-manic-13377663
Reply 1
I get the impression that judges would be a lot stricter if they'd done a shift or two with an ambulance crew dealing with car crashes.
Reply 2
I don't understand the article where it says "the offences had breached an injunction banning car cruising in parts of the West Midlands" and "At the last hearing a judge told them to expect custodial sentences", but also says "All three of these men were of previous good character, law abiding citizens".

It looks like they were warned before and chose to ignore it? And the judge is a super idiot for not only neglecting to protect the public due to this incident, but ignoring the prior incident and ruling too?
Original post by Rock Fan
What is even more shocking apparently the judge praised them for indicating when changing lanes http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/birmingham-trio-caught-racing-manic-13377663

Why didn't they just go to a track day. Why be total arses about it and do it on public roads.

tbf, this is commendable behaviour as the standard of driving in Birmingham is atrocious.
Reply 5
Original post by moonkatt
tbf, this is commendable behaviour as the standard of driving in Birmingham is atrocious.

And installing working indicators in a Mercedes too. I hear you have to explicitly ask for them as an optional extra.
Reply 6

Basically someone needs to die for serious action to be taken. Sad.
Just watched the video...

The cheek the guy has sitting in the back of the police car on his phone. He honestly couldn't care less.
I always feel like driving offences are incredibly lenient, particularly if a death occurs as a result of reckless driving. It doesn't surprise me therefore that these three avoided prison.
Original post by ThomH97
I don't understand the article where it says "the offences had breached an injunction banning car cruising in parts of the West Midlands" and "At the last hearing a judge told them to expect custodial sentences", but also says "All three of these men were of previous good character, law abiding citizens".

It looks like they were warned before and chose to ignore it? And the judge is a super idiot for not only neglecting to protect the public due to this incident, but ignoring the prior incident and ruling too?

This is my bugbear turn of phrase - obviously they were of previously good character because you hadn't caught before then. People don't go from always following the limit to topping a ton in a race. More to the point they already had been convicted of the same thing so its a load of bs.

Original post by Reality Check
Why didn't they just go to a track day. Why be total arses about it and do it on public roads.

Cost. Track days are expensive as anything and highly limited on top ie you only have a few very specific days to go. I'm not agreeing with these people, but maybe a halfway house - like a skate park for racing cars or something (obviously that's just a top of the head suggestion without real forethought) might keep boy racers off the streets. It's hard to have fun sensibly when it rips a hole in the bottom of your pocket. As someone who loves driving, paying out for track days in my own and other cars is expensive as anything.
Original post by GonvilleBromhead
This is my bugbear turn of phrase - obviously they were of previously good character because you hadn't caught before then. People don't go from always following the limit to topping a ton in a race. More to the point they already had been convicted of the same thing so its a load of bs.

Yeah, I'd taken the 'good character' to mean they had a clean history which was then contradicted anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending