The Student Room Group

Quorn booms as "flexitarians" increase.

Meat substitute company Quorn Foods says it has seen and "unprecedented" global growth in the first half of this year with sales up 19% world wide. They have suggested that this is due to the grow in "flexitarian" (flexible vegetarians) diets as more people are reducing the amount of meat they consume in favour of the more sustainable protein sources.

As a result, it is investing £150m to double production at its main plant in Teesside and expects to create 300 new jobs there in the next five years.

Read more on the story here.

What do you make of this? Do you eat Quorn? How do you feel about the increase in flexiaritans?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Danny Dorito
Meat substitute company Quorn Foods says it has seen and "unprecedented" global growth in the first half of this year with sales up 19% world wide. They have suggested that this is due to the grow in "flexitarian" (flexible vegetarians) diets as more people are reducing the amount of meat they consume in favour of the more sustainable protein sources.

As a result, it is investing £150m to double production at its main plant in Teesside and expects to create 300 new jobs there in the next five years.

Read more on the story here.

What do you make of this? Do you eat Quorn? How do you feel about the increase in flexiaritans?

Flexit is the new Brexit it seems :redface:

I've tried Quorn but wouldn't substitute meat for it. I mean people can do what they want, it doesn't really bother me.
I am trying to cut down on the amount of meat I eat. But quorn doesn't really appeal to me.
Flexitarian is ****ing stupid term, it is just people trying to be healthier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Meany Pie

Posted from TSR Mobile

lmfao, don't know why people think they label themselves like they're a special snowflake; it's just f***ing stupid.
Yay we love Quorn! Maybe this will mean they work on new products too, and it'll be easier to get a hold of...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad I'm not the only one. Just because you don't eat meat at every single meal doesn't mean you need a special name, other than "omnivorous", or "healthy". Are they trying to gain the kudos doled out to vegetarians/vegans?
Original post by BTAnonymous
lmfao, don't know why people think they label themselves like they're a special snowflake; it's just f***ing stupid.

I shouldn't annoy me as much as it does :angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
My issue with quorn is the same as tofu, it has no real flavour on its own, so you're reliant on other ways to make it edible.

I don't really agree with the concept of making meat substitutes taste like meat.

Quorn if you want to get really technical isn't vegetarian, certainly isn't vegan. It contains eggs.
Original post by Tubbz
My issue with quorn is the same as tofu, it has no real flavour on its own, so you're reliant on other ways to make it edible.

It is a great way of bulking out a bolognese, add it with the regular mince and you have twice as much and you can't tell the difference.
Reply 9
It is a great way of bulking out a bolognese, add it with the regular mince and you have twice as much and you can't tell the difference.

Quorn is £3 a 500g bag of mince, 750g of pork/beef is £2

That's not a great way of bulking out bolognese, in an economical sense.
Original post by Tubbz
Quorn is £3 a 500g bag of mince, 750g of pork/beef is £2

That's not a great way of bulking out bolognese, in an economical sense.

It is healthier though.
Original post by Tubbz

I don't really agree with the concept of making meat substitutes taste like meat.

Quorn if you want to get really technical isn't vegetarian, certainly isn't vegan. It contains eggs.

Tofu is yum. What's wrong with adding seasoning? Chicken doesn't have much flavour on its own either... You're not one of those terrifying people that serves unseasoned chicken are you? :frown:

Why don't you agree? If it helps people stop eating so much meat (which is bad for both their health and the environment) then what's the harm?

Most vegetarians eat eggs as they're generally sterile so wouldn't be counted as a living thing..
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
It is healthier though.

In what sense? It's less protein dense than a meat option. It also doesn't contain any fats, which means you have to add them into your diet else where.
I ate it before it was fashionable

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tubbz
In what sense? It's less protein dense than a meat option. It also doesn't contain any fats, which means you have to add them into your diet else where.

Too much red meat is not good for you.
Reply 15
Original post by AmeliaLost
Tofu is yum. What's wrong with adding seasoning? Chicken doesn't have much flavour on its own either... You're not one of those terrifying people that serves unseasoned chicken are you? :frown:

Why don't you agree? If it helps people stop eating so much meat (which is bad for both their health and the environment) then what's the harm?

Most vegetarians eat eggs as they're generally sterile so wouldn't be counted as a living thing..

Have you never had a roast chicken? If you simply roast a chicken, the flavour comes from the naturally occurring fats. That's my point, it has no taste, you're only tasting seasoning.

I object to meat flavoured substitutes more so in people who object to meat eating for ethical reasons. You don't like people eating meat, so why do you want to feel like you're eating meat?

Most =/= all. But I'll take your point, I know vegetarians who don't eat eggs, but will drink milk.
Reply 16
Too much red meat is not good for you.

No, too much saturated fat is not good for you. Lean mince vs Quorn mince, you're getting a far better protein density meal out of the meat.

There's a tenuous link between red meat and bowel cancer, but it's not enough to suggest you shouldn't eat red meat.
Original post by Tubbz
No, too much saturated fat is not good for you. Lean mince vs Quorn mince, you're getting a far better protein density meal out of the meat.

There's a tenuous link between red meat and bowel cancer, but it's not enough to suggest you shouldn't eat red meat.

I never suggested you shouldn't eat red meat, I said you should reduce consumption.
Original post by Tubbz

Quorn do have a vegan range now. Not many products, but it's a market they're starting to aim at.

Personally I've eaten Quorn for years. I was a vegetarian through the second half of my childhood and enjoyed their burgers, mince, and sausages etc. I eat it less now because I switched to eating meat when my IBS made it difficult for me to be a vegetarian (can't eat cheese) or vegan (struggle with pulses, fruit, and some veg). Quorn also contains milk in some of its range and, as I can't eat milk, that limits what Quorn products I can eat. It's nice for a change, but I do worry about how processed vegetarian 'meat substitutes' are and how good they are for you as the main part of a diet. I know meat has its downsides, but it's easier to see where a chicken breast came from than a soya or fungus based protein.
Original post by Tubbz
Have you never had a roast chicken? If you simply roast a chicken, the flavour comes from the naturally occurring fats. That's my point, it has no taste, you're only tasting seasoning.

I object to meat flavoured substitutes more so in people who object to meat eating for ethical reasons. You don't like people eating meat, so why do you want to feel like you're eating meat?

Most =/= all. But I'll take your point, I know vegetarians who don't eat eggs, but will drink milk.

I've never roasted it without lots of rosemary and thyme. Without that then no, it doesn't taste like very much.

I don't really follow your process. It still means you're not eating an animal though, so the ethical reasoning still stands. Just because you're duping your taste buds with whatever it is that you find tasty doesn't suddenly erase the positive ethics. Do you disagree with people with murderous tendencies taking that out with hack'n'slash games rather than just murdering people?? If more people consume less meat, then that's a good thing on lots of fronts, with few reservations on the method.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest