The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hi everyone, I'm the Admissions Tutor at Christ's College, and I'm here to answer any questions you might have about applications or admissions to the University of Cambridge, or to Christ's College specifically, until August 08. So please fire away!

Hey!
What scholarships or bursaries do you offer your students?
Original post by games211
Hey!
What scholarships or bursaries do you offer your students?

Assuming you mean undergraduate students, rather than postgraduates, all colleges offer British and EU students with an annual household income of £42,620 or less the Cambridge Bursary:

http://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac.uk/cambridgebursary

Some colleges offer additional support to British and EU students in financial need (at Christ's, for example, we offer substantial rent rebates to Cambridge Bursary holders and those with an annual household income just above the £42,620 threshold, as well as additional funding for EU medics), and we're looking at ways to present this information on a central University website in the near future - at the moment, you have to look on individual college websites to find out what they provide.

Where international students are concerned, the Cambridge Trust is the principal provider of part-cost scholarships (there are no full-cost Cambridge Trust scholarships) and these are available to students at any college; see https://www.cambridgetrust.org/scholarships/.

Some colleges also offer additional funding for outstanding international students, and this usually takes the form of awards that can be held on their own or in conjunction with other scholarships and/or bursaries.(Christ's is about to launch awards worth around £5000 per annum, with the first £1000 awarded solely on merit, rather than need, and we will in exceptional cases provide more extensive support.) Again, we're looking at ways to present this information centrally in the near future, but again, you have to look on individual college websites for details at the moment.

All colleges provide modest "scholarships" to students who perform at an exceptionally high level in the course of their degree, though the value of these scholarships is primarily their prestige.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi everyone, I'm the Admissions Tutor at Christ's College, and I'm here to answer any questions you might have about applications or admissions to the University of Cambridge, or to Christ's College specifically, until August 08. So please fire away!

Hi! i jist finished my AS-level i came out with relatively good grades: A1 in chemistry, B1 in Physics(i had a bad day, honest) and i'm predicted an A1 in mathematics we'll find out the actual result on the 17th of august. My teachers recognise i have potential to be an oxbridge candidate and i am applying to Queen's college to study engineering in the university of cambridge. I have a good working relationship with my teachers and i'm predicted 3 A*s next year
I have major doubts about that B1 in physics and how it will affect my chances, could you please offer any advice
Reply 4

Hi, I'm an IB student (not from the UK) with about 42/45 predicted (I'll probably be able to get it up to a 43/45 until october) and a solid application. Voluntary work, ECs at school, competitions, sports, hobbies, passion for law, you name it.
When I was writing my igcses I was going through a rough time in my life and ended up performing pretty poorly. I had 2 A* , a few As, a few Bs and one C. I got good grades for subjects I cared about like history or business studies or english but did rather badly in ones I hated (like chemistry).

These are the unis I'm applying to for LAW:

- lse
- ucl
- oxbridge
- kings college

These are my questions:

1. What are, reaslistically, my chances of getitng in to those unis with those gcses if my application on the whole is strong?

2. Will I be put at a definitive disadvantage?

3. Would it be wiser to apply to Cambridge rather than Oxford as I heard they tend to value progress and not pay as much attention to gcses because their IB requirements are higher?

4. Would it be TOO personal for my PS to write about why I improved as a studernt and how I'm not the person I was then, what changed me and how I will continue to improve, if the event in quesiton is very dark and potentially depressing? I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses or looking for sympathy, I just want to let every uni know exactly who I am, that I do not give up easily and that I have singlehandedly picked myself up after the most traumatic event in my life and dragged myself from rock bottom to the top.

Thanks in advance. Honesty will be appreciated
Reply 5
Original post by Oruese
Hi! i jist finished my AS-level i came out with relatively good grades: A1 in chemistry, B1 in Physics(i had a bad day, honest) and i'm predicted an A1 in mathematics we'll find out the actual result on the 17th of august. My teachers recognise i have potential to be an oxbridge candidate and i am applying to Queen's college to study engineering in the university of cambridge. I have a good working relationship with my teachers and i'm predicted 3 A*s next year
I have major doubts about that B1 in physics and how it will affect my chances, could you please offer any advice

Which qualification/country are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi!

How much emphasis would be placed on the ecf form for an economics applicant whose maths fm AS ums would be between 90-95% due to extenuating circumstances?
Original post by Doonesbury
Which qualification/country are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

right here in England and i'm taking the AQA for both physics and chemistry and OCR for Mathematics. I'm also doing the EPQ (AQA)
Reply 8
Original post by Oruese
right here in England and i'm taking the AQA for both physics and chemistry and OCR for Mathematics. I'm also doing the EPQ (AQA)

A1 isn't an official grade - sounds like these are your school's internal exams (i.e. mocks, PPEs) not external exams.
A1 isn't an official grade - sounds like these are your school's internal exams (i.e. mocks, PPEs) not external exams.

yeah precisely they were PPE's cos both physics and chemistry are reformed subjects (AQA) but Maths isn't cos thats OCR
Reply 10
Original post by Oruese
yeah precisely they were PPE's cos both physics and chemistry are reformed subjects (AQA) but Maths isn't cos thats OCR

So you shouldn't say you got grade X or Y at AS-level. You haven't. Just say you got it in your PPEs - it's clearer and simpler.

Anyway I'm sorry to the AT for derailing her thread... :wink:
So you shouldn't say you got grade X or Y at AS-level. You haven't. Just say you got it in your PPEs - it's clearer and simpler.

Ok.i should have rephrased that
my worry is if my B1 in my physics PPE will hinder my admission chances in anyway?
Original post by Oruese

It's difficult to give you a fully informed opinion without also knowing your grade in Mathematics. That said, I don't think the B1 in Physics will necessarily have too negative an impact on your chances, assuming your scores in the pre-interview assessment are solid, and you can handle Physics-related problems at interview, should you be shortlisted. If your referee shares your view that the B1 was the result of a single "off day", and is outweighed by other evidence of your potential, they may not even mention it in the reference. If they do choose to mention it, however, they should ensure that they provide a convincing explanation as to why it happened (and why it is not representative of your ability).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by j23m

Hi, I'm an IB student (not from the UK) with about 42/45 predicted (I'll probably be able to get it up to a 43/45 until october) and a solid application. Voluntary work, ECs at school, competitions, sports, hobbies, passion for law, you name it.
When I was writing my igcses I was going through a rough time in my life and ended up performing pretty poorly. I had 2 A* , a few As, a few Bs and one C. I got good grades for subjects I cared about like history or business studies or english but did rather badly in ones I hated (like chemistry).

These are the unis I'm applying to for LAW:

- lse
- ucl
- oxbridge
- kings college

These are my questions:

1. What are, reaslistically, my chances of getitng in to those unis with those gcses if my application on the whole is strong?

2. Will I be put at a definitive disadvantage?

3. Would it be wiser to apply to Cambridge rather than Oxford as I heard they tend to value progress and not pay as much attention to gcses because their IB requirements are higher?

4. Would it be TOO personal for my PS to write about why I improved as a studernt and how I'm not the person I was then, what changed me and how I will continue to improve, if the event in quesiton is very dark and potentially depressing? I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses or looking for sympathy, I just want to let every uni know exactly who I am, that I do not give up easily and that I have singlehandedly picked myself up after the most traumatic event in my life and dragged myself from rock bottom to the top.

Thanks in advance. Honesty will be appreciated

Hi there,

I can't answer on behalf of the other universities you mention, as they will all have slightly different approaches to the weighting of GCSE grades, and may also be factoring in the LNAT (which Cambridge doesn't use).

From a Cambridge perspective, your GCSEs are weaker than those of many of our successful applicants, but we also regularly admit students with fewer than two A*s. So if your predictions are high, your referee is supportive, and you put in a solid performance at interview and in the Cambridge Law Test, there is absolutely no reason you should not be competitive for a place here.

It would be sensible to provide some explanation for your under-performance at GCSE, but I wouldn't recommend you go into too much detail in the personal statement, which is better focused on your subject interest and academic activities; a couple of lines at most would be fine. You could, however, ask a third party to submit an Extenuating Circumstances Form on your behalf if the event was, as you say, traumatic.

Derail away :smile:
Hi there, will GCSEs count towards your application to the University of Cambridge?
Original post by The RAR
Hi there, will GCSEs count towards your application to the University of Cambridge?

They may be one "piece of the puzzle" we consider in determining your academic potential, and how likely you are to make our standard offer, particularly if you haven't done AS and/or your referee doesn't provide clear predictions and/or you under-perform in our pre-interview assessment. But we don't weight them as heavily as some other universities, and whilst the majority of our successful applicants do have at least 5 A*s at GCSEs, there are plenty of examples of people getting in with much weaker grades than that.
It's difficult to give you a fully informed opinion without also knowing your grade in Mathematics. That said, I don't think the B1 in Physics will necessarily have too negative an impact on your chances, assuming your scores in the pre-interview assessment are solid, and you can handle Physics-related problems at interview, should you be shortlisted. If your referee shares your view that the B1 was the result of a single "off day", and is outweighed by other evidence of your potential, they may not even mention it in the reference. If they do choose to mention it, however, they should ensure that they provide a convincing explanation as to why it happened (and why it is not representative of your ability).

Thank you so much for the detailed answer, that really relaxes my nerves, i'll make sure i inform you of my mathematics grade once i get it.
They may be one "piece of the puzzle" we consider in determining your academic potential, and how likely you are to make our standard offer, particularly if you haven't done AS and/or your referee doesn't provide clear predictions and/or you under-perform in our pre-interview assessment. But we don't weight them as heavily as some other universities, and whilst the majority of our successful applicants do have at least 5 A*s at GCSEs, there are plenty of examples of people getting in with much weaker grades than that.

With the A levels changing I will no longer be able to do AS, how can I make a competitive application with weak GCSEs? Say GCSEs with no more than 3 As
Hello,
I was wondering how Cambridge looks at retakes?
I haven't yet received my results, but I think I may miss one of my results by a few UMS, and get a B
I do think that I will get an A* in the other two, and the only reason I think I did bad in that one subject is because I fell ill. I will only be re-taking a module or two if I decide to retake
I also have very good GCSEs
The subject I wish to apply for is Computer Science.
Thank you for any guidance

Latest

Trending

Trending