The Student Room Group

More maths help because I seem to be an idiot right now

Ok, so I was trying to do some work to prepare for A levels, but I keep getting the wrong answer to a certain question. I can't work out exactly where I have gone wrong, but I keep getting the answer of 8.01m when the answer sheet says that the answer is 7.52m. Could someone possibly give me a step by step method so that I can see exactly where I keep going wrong?

The question is to find the value of x and this is the diagram: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=bi19w7&s=9#.WXjmw73TXqA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Coco_Monkey
Ok, so I was trying to do some work to prepare for A levels, but I keep getting the wrong answer to a certain question. I can't work out exactly where I have gone wrong, but I keep getting the answer of 8.01m when the answer sheet says that the answer is 7.52m. Could someone possibly give me a step by step method so that I can see exactly where I keep going wrong?

The question is to find the value of x and this is the diagram: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=bi19w7&s=9#.WXjmw73TXqA

HOLD THE FOOK UP, are you doing a level work in the holidays?
Reply 2
Original post by sweet boner
HOLD THE FOOK UP, are you doing a level work in the holidays?

Yes, one of the sixth forms that I applied to wants us to prepare for a test that there will be on the first week. So I'm doing some stuff in case I end up going there.
Yes, one of the sixth forms that I applied to wants us to prepare for a test that there will be on the first week. So I'm doing some stuff in case I end up going there.

Ooooh good luck with the integration, trigonometric equations, Pythagorean identities and all that *******s
you get the idea
Reply 4
Original post by sweet boner
Ooooh good luck with the integration, trigonometric equations, Pythagorean identities and all that *******s
you get the idea

Can't you help me?! And just looking at the names of those makes me want to cry a little on the inside
Can't you just use sine/cosine rule?
Anyway, what do you think you got the maths gcse? I got around 125, is that a 6?
Can't you help me?! And just looking at the names of those makes me want to cry a little on the inside

Just by looking at it, i say use pythag to find the hypotenuse.
You know you have 1 right angle and 70 degree angle soo.....
180- (70-90)= You get another angle then it's just easy work.
Reply 7
Original post by Vexillarius
Can't you just use sine/cosine rule?
Anyway, what do you think you got the maths gcse? I got around 125, is that a 6?

It's in the trigonometry section, so I'm guessing it wants me to use that. And I have no clue about grade boundaries
It's in the trigonometry section, so I'm guessing it wants me to use that. And I have no clue about grade boundaries

Btw, sine and cosine rule are both uses of trigonometry AFAIK.
Reply 9
Original post by Vexillarius
Btw, sine and cosine rule are both uses of trigonometry AFAIK.

I meant the whole sin, cos, tan area because that is the only stuff mentioned in the lesson part of the sheet.

Calculate the hypotenuse (y) of the 60 degree triangle. That is the opposite for the 70 degree triangle.

cos(60)=11ycos(60)=\frac{11}{y}

y=11cos(60)\therefore y=\frac{11}{cos(60)}

For the second triangle, you have the opposite (y) and the adjacent (x). Using tan(70) you should be able to calculate x.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
I meant the whole sin, cos, tan area because that is the only stuff mentioned in the lesson part of the sheet.

In the left/up triangle, you can find the length of its hypotenuse by noting that cos60=ah\cos 60^{\circ} = \frac{a}{h} where you know the adjacent a=11a = 11. So you can get h=acos60h = \frac{a}{\cos 60^{\circ}}. Now that you have the hypoteneuse of the first triangle, you can use tan70=ox\tan 70^{\circ} = \frac{o}{x} where the opposite of 70 degrees is the hypoteneuse of the first triangle (whose length you've found).

You can now use this to rearrange for xx.
Reply 12
Original post by RogerOxon
Calculate the hypotenuse (y) of the 60 degree triangle. That is the opposite for the 70 degree triangle.

cos(60)=y11cos(60)=\frac{y}{11}

y=11cos(60)\therefore y=11cos(60)

For the second triangle, you have the opposite (y) and the adjacent (x). Using tan(70) you should be able to calculate x.

cos 60 would be adjacent/hyp, so 11/y, surely?
So is the hyp of the first triangle (the diagonal between the two triangles) 22 then? Because that's what I got originally before asking this question.
Original post by AnIndianGuy
Yes Roger got it wrong.

You could use sin 30 too obvs

Oops. Yes.
Original post by rogeroxon
oops. Yes.

roger help me
Reply 16
So is the hyp of the first triangle (the diagonal between the two triangles) 22 then? Because that's what I got originally before asking this question.

yes
roger help me

The diagonal is y:

y=11cos(60)y=\frac{11}{cos(60)}

Substitute for cos(60) to simplify y.

tan(70)=yxtan(70)=\frac{y}{x}

Rearrange and you'll get the answer.
Original post by Zacken
yes

Then how does x = 7.52? Have I used the wrong ratio to find the answer? I used Tan.
Reply 19
Then how does x = 7.52? Have I used the wrong ratio to find the answer? I used Tan.

how did you use tan

Quick Reply

Latest