The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ftpmoj
Hello.

I'm not sure if this has been answered yet, so apologies if it has.

My question is: Is average science UMS still used during the selection process for students who have taken external AS exams? And if so, which 3 relevant subjects are used when calculating the science UMS average for Medicine? I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths, and I think i'm certain that I did pretty badly in Biology. I was wondering if that would be me at a disadvantage?

Thanks (:

Do you have UMS? Which exam board did you sit?

Average UMS is calculated if it's available but it was never used as a key selection criteria. It was used as part of some winter pooling calculations but never for medicine anyway.

Edit: gah! Wrong thread again...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
Do you have UMS? Which exam board did you sit?

Average UMS is calculated if it's available but it was never used as a selection criteria. It was used for as part of some Pooling calculations but never for medicine anyway.

Edit: gah! Wrong thread again...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah! I forgot that the new linear qualifications don't have UMS... ignore me.
Original post by vincrows
There're many informal, casual music groups/bands in & across colleges, both contemporary and classical. It's usually formed on friendly basis, often quite randomly, so some lasts for years, some just for a few sessions.
Those things are quite fluid, often much influenced by who happens to be where and when, but something is happening somewhere all the time. Once you get to know or involved in something, a network of like-minded musicians develops naturally, so it's not too difficult to find out their activities.

If you can't find an existing group you'd be interested, you just make one yourself.
AFAIK, most colleges have music practice rooms, but you'd have to ask each college (or their JCR) what sort of facility (and number of rooms) they have if you want to know details.

Yeah tbh this is mostly hypothetical because I haven't even started playing any instruments so I doubt I'll be at a level tgat I'll be capable of playing in a band.
Original post by black1blade
Yeah tbh this is mostly hypothetical because I haven't even started playing any instruments so I doubt I'll be at a level tgat I'll be capable of playing in a band.

Tip: pick up the bass guitar, simpler than many instruments and you will get proficient much faster. bands always need bassists and the basics of bass are simple to master, often needing only a note or repeated pattern.
Original post by JackNott
Am I correct to assume that I wouldn't be disadvantaged by not mentioning any extracurricular activities not related to the subject I want to study on my personal statement (in the case that Cambridge is the only university I want to apply to in the U.K.)?

You are absolutely correct, yes, as a number of other people have already pointed out!
(edited 6 years ago)
I have specific questions about Christ's accommodation and facilities. Firstly, is internet access unlimited data? Secondly, are there any music practice rooms? Actually a general question about cambridge as a whole, is there even a culture for performance of more contemporary music (like do people form bands ect)? If a particular society or activity doesn't operate at your college, how usual is it to go to over colleges or locations to engage in those activities?

Where Christ's specifically is concerned, yes, the internet access is as far as I know unlimited data (or at least, if there is a limit, no student appears to have hit it yet - and I imagine quite a few of them have had a really good try!)

There are a number of music practice rooms, yes, and a pretty vibrant music scene in College generally - we have what is reputedly the oldest Music Society in Cambridge, and plenty of talented classical musicians, but as someone who regularly works late in College I can testify that I've heard plenty of non-classical music being played too :smile:
Original post by 210555
Exactly' me thinks there is no magic formula for the perfect PS. As I acknowledged in my post the OP is only interested in Cambridge and for them, no extra curriculars aren't important.

My post was just to reassure future students that. other RG unis may well be interested if you can show what you have learnt from them and not to ignore them completely. I wanted to reassure students that you don't have to be a "geek" with your head in a book 24/7 to be eligible to apply to Cambridge or any other university for that matter. So not true in my own experience.

Congrats on your offer by the, enjoy the experience😀

Our general advice for students applying to a range of RG universities is 75/25 - i.e., devote no more than 25% of your PS to extra-curricular activities that are not relevant to the course you wish to study. That 25% will allow you to satisfy universities that are interested in such things, without eating up too much of the space that Cambridge would like to see dedicated purely to relevant academic and super-curricular activities :smile:
Original post by edzay
For someone applying for deferred entry because of military service, must any additional letter or documentation be submitted as proof of this?

No, you don't need to submit proof.
Original post by Ftpmoj
Ah! I forgot that the new linear qualifications don't have UMS... ignore me.

Well, for the benefit of anyone out there who is doing Welsh, Northern Irish or International A-levels, the answer to your question is that we are for the time being continuing to collect UMS/PUMS, and to calculate UMS averages (in the Arts, this is usually "best three", in the Science, it is the average across all science subjects and Maths), but it is unlikely to play quite as significant a role it did in the past. (And sorry to contradict you, @Doonesbury, but that role could at times be very significant, especially in competitive subjects like Medicine.)
Hello,

A few questions. I took only 5 IGCSE (5A*) because those are all the courses offered in my school. Will this put me at disadvantage?
I took an American aptitude test called ACT, which is kind of equivalent to SAT, and got good results. Is this helpful?
As a potential applicant for math, I took all STEP I/II/III this year but might have done badly in STEP III. Will this affect my application, or can I decide whether to submit the result?
(Besides I'm international and non-native speaker)

Thank you very much!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Where Christ's specifically is concerned, yes, the internet access is as far as I know unlimited data (or at least, if there is a limit, no student appears to have hit it yet - and I imagine quite a few of them have had a really good try!)

Although, as at all colleges, you can get told off for downloading stuff you shouldn't :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by southpacific
Hello,

A few questions. I took only 5 IGCSE (5A*) because those are all the courses offered in my school. Will this put me at disadvantage?
I took an American aptitude test called ACT, which is kind of equivalent to SAT, and got good results. Is this helpful?
As a potential applicant for math, I took all STEP I/II/III this year but might have done badly in STEP III. Will this affect my application, or can I decide whether to submit the result?
(Besides I'm international and non-native speaker)

Thank you very much!

Hi there,

Where the GCSEs are concerned, no, you won't be at a disadvantage - it's common for international applicants to have only a small number of IGCSEs, and we understand that most are constrained in terms of what is available to them.

We don't generally accept ACT as a qualification for entry, in itself, but good results in ACT would certainly strengthen your application, yes.

Where STEP is concerned, there are two things to consider: (i) some colleges prefer students to sit STEP in the year of admission, rather than applying post-STEP, and some don't mind (we're very happy to accept post-STEP applications at Christ's, for example); (ii) you do have to declare your results in STEP this year, whatever they are. Whether a bad result in STEP III would affect your application will depend how you do in the other two STEP exams, and your precise academic profile and context.

I'd be very happy to advise further if you PM me when you have your STEP results.
(And sorry to contradict you, @Doonesbury, but that role could at times be very significant, especially in competitive subjects like Medicine.)

No problem! The SUMS as well as individual module UMSs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by auburnstar
Tip: pick up the bass guitar, simpler than many instruments and you will get proficient much faster. bands always need bassists and the basics of bass are simple to master, often needing only a note or repeated pattern.

That's the instrument I want to learn actually although to be honest I'm not hugely enamoured with songs with repetative bass lines but I guess you've gotta start somewhere.
That's the instrument I want to learn actually although to be honest I'm not hugely enamoured with songs with repetative bass lines but I guess you've gotta start somewhere.

:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What would you say are some common pitfalls for applicants in their personal statement and interviews?

Honestly I feel the same way but quickest instrument to make cash with is bass guitar. From experience the learning curve for piano is much steeper (and coordination for drums requires time also, not including predominantly classical instruments like violin)

Things might have changed now as it's been a couple of years since my daughter graduated but in those days most colleges did have some limit on internet access though the allowance was usually quite generous.
But if you play a lot of internet games or do streaming & downloading its not too difficult to hit the limit. But you get a warning from a college (most commonly from Porter's office) that you're nearing to their limit, so you can avoid getting charged for excess use.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
No problem! The SUMS as well as individual module UMSs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes - the reason we started calculating SUMS systematically was because they were shown to have a good correlation with outcomes in Tripos... I imagine that correlation will weaken now that we're working with a much smaller sample size and three exam boards only, however.
Original post by vincrows
Things might have changed now as it's been a couple of years since my daughter graduated but in those days most colleges did have some limit on internet access though the allowance was usually quite generous.
But if you play a lot of internet games or do streaming & downloading it want too difficult to hit the limit. But you get a warning from a college (most commonly from Porter's office) that you're nearing to their limit, so you can avoid getting charged for excess use.

Having checked this, the standard limit now appears to be 10GB a day without permission, 20GB a day with permission from a Tutor or DoS.

Latest

Trending

Trending