The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University International Applicants 2017

Hi everyone!

My name's Ethan, I work here at Newcastle University, UK. I'm here to answer any questions from European and International applicants. Are you joining us soon or thinking about it? I'm here to help :smile:

Our website is a good place to start if you want to know more about applying to Newcastle as a European or International student. If you have any questions about your application to Newcastle and what it's like to study with us, please get in touch.

For any questions you may not wish to post publicly, feel free to send me a private message.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Ethan
Original post by Newcastle University International Team
Hi everyone!

My name's Ethan, I work here at Newcastle University, UK. I'm here to answer any questions from European and International applicants. Are you joining us soon or thinking about it? I'm here to help :smile:

Our website is a good place to start if you want to know more about applying to Newcastle as a European or International student. If you have any questions about your application to Newcastle and what it's like to study with us, please get in touch.

For any questions you may not wish to post publicly, feel free to send me a private message.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Ethan

Hi Ethan!

I'm thinking about applying for the MLitt in Philosophy. I've already graduated from the University of Malta with an MA in Modern and Contemporary Literature and Criticism, and happened to be in Newcastle for the last open day, which was super helpful. I'm just curious about what I should think about as a postgrad student who would have to move to Newcastle from an EU country (Malta) with dual citizenship (Maltese-British). Would I be guaranteed accommodation with the university? What's the deadline for enrollment/accommodation? When should I think about getting there to get settled and sorted before term starts? What are my options in terms of funding? Do you have any tips/suggestions for EU/International student to make friends/get integrated into student life there?

Sorry for all the questions! :smile:

Kelly
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by DrHQuinzel
Hi Ethan!

I'm thinking about applying for the MLitt in Philosophy. I've already graduated from the University of Malta with an MA in Modern and Contemporary Literature and Criticism, and happened to be in Newcastle for the last open day, which was super helpful. I'm just curious about what I should think about as a postgrad student who would have to move to Newcastle from an EU country (Malta) with dual citizenship (Maltese-British). Would I be guaranteed accommodation with the university? What's the deadline for enrollment/accommodation? When should I think about getting there to get settled and sorted before term starts? What are my options in terms of funding? Do you have any tips/suggestions for EU/International student to make friends/get integrated into student life there?

Sorry for all the questions! :smile:

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

Thanks a lot for your post (I'm sorry for the late reply). I'll try to help with your questions :smile:

- About accommodation, we have a New Students' Guarantee for bachelor's (undergraduate) and master's (postgraduate) students. There are some conditions, like applying for accommodation before 30 June. You can see how it works on our website.

- If you're applying for a postgraduate course, there isn't a deadline as such. You can apply anytime, even quite close to the start of the course. We ask "international" students to apply at least 2 months before the course starts because visa and other paperwork. But in your case, as EU/British citizen, you don't have to worry about that.

- We organise an International Welcome Week before the term starts, which has lots of activities to get to know our campus, the Students' Union and make friends. We can even pick you up from Newcastle Airport. There's more information on our website.

- In terms of funding, we have a Funding Database online that might be helpful. There you'll find a list of scholarships and funding options.

- I've met many EU and International students here and I wouldn't worry about making friends. You'll get to know people from all over the world and there are plenty of opportunities to get involved. Our Students' Union is a great place to start, they have over 200 clubs and societies.

I'll be very happy to help with any more questions, just let me know here. Or if you prefer email, please drop me a line on [email protected]. I promise I'll reply quicker next time (sorry!).

Ethan
Hi!

For incoming international students, when would you recommend paying any possible tuition deposits? I'm absolutely positive that I'll be attending Newcastle, so should I pay this deposit sooner, or would you recommend waiting until after I meet my conditional offer requirements (I still have to upload final degree transcripts after I graduate my BA)? Thanks for your thoughts on the matter!

Best,
Anna
Original post by annaconner
Hi!

For incoming international students, when would you recommend paying any possible tuition deposits? I'm absolutely positive that I'll be attending Newcastle, so should I pay this deposit sooner, or would you recommend waiting until after I meet my conditional offer requirements (I still have to upload final degree transcripts after I graduate my BA)? Thanks for your thoughts on the matter!

Best,
Anna

Hello Anna

You can pay your deposit at any point during the application process however you must be aware that the deposit is none refundable if you do not meet your conditions.

If you have any more questions please get in touch!

Isabella :smile:
Reply 5
Dear Ethan, I'm a student from Greece and I applied for law at Newcastle. I eventually got an offer of either 19 in the Apolytirion and 17 in the Panhellenics or AAA at A levels. I dealt actually both the Apolytirion and the A levels in my last year of high school , and so I did the A levels instead of sitting the Panhellenics. As I thought that the A levels are unpredictable and kind of uncertain , I contacted the admissions office and asked them to consider my Apolytirion along my A levels , without the Panhellenics though. I would like to ask you , if I get AA at A levels and already having the Apolytirion of 19 , do you think That I can still get in , considering that Newcastle University still have available places for law in clearing?*I made Newcastle my insurance choice.
Original post by N.K.Roska
Dear Ethan, I'm a student from Greece and I applied for law at Newcastle. I eventually got an offer of either 19 in the Apolytirion and 17 in the Panhellenics or AAA at A levels. I dealt actually both the Apolytirion and the A levels in my last year of high school , and so I did the A levels instead of sitting the Panhellenics. As I thought that the A levels are unpredictable and kind of uncertain , I contacted the admissions office and asked them to consider my Apolytirion along my A levels , without the Panhellenics though. I would like to ask you , if I get AA at A levels and already having the Apolytirion of 19 , do you think That I can still get in , considering that Newcastle University still have available places for law in clearing?*I made Newcastle my insurance choice.

Hi,

Ethan is away right now but I passed your message on to one of his colleagues in the International Office and received the following response:

"This is a decision for our Admissions Team, but I would imagine you have a very good chance of being accepted by us with these good grades."

Hope that helps!

Persephone
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi, I'm applying for the INTO Physical Sciences & Eng program due to A-Levels not working out for me. I took the standard IELTS and got 7 overall, but the uni is asking for IELTS for UKVI. May I know what makes IELTS for UKVI preferred rather than the standard one? Also last week the uni consistently replied me for my application process, the weekend came and I waited for them to reply me yesterday but no email came through so I'm getting anxious :frown: is it bcs of the overwhelming applications? Also will A-Levels be considered in this application?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by sheyrazen
Hi, I'm applying for the INTO Physical Sciences & Eng program due to A-Levels not working out for me. I took the standard IELTS and got 7 overall, but the uni is asking for IELTS for UKVI. May I know what makes IELTS for UKVI preferred rather than the standard one? Also last week the uni consistently replied me for my application process, the weekend came and I waited for them to reply me yesterday but no email came through so I'm getting anxious :frown: is it bcs of the overwhelming applications? Also will A-Levels be considered in this application?

Hello,

Thanks a lot for getting in touch. We're able to accept the standard IELTS test for direct entry to our undergraduate (Bachelor's) and postgraduate (Master's, PhD...). But an INTO course is classed below undergraduate level. For courses like that one, the UK Government requires the IELTS for UKVI test. We're sorry about this, this isn't our requirement, it's the UK Government's.

Our Admissions team have been very busy over the weekend and yesterday, fingers crossed they can get in touch with you soon. Sorry again for delays, they're working as fast as they can.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll be happy to help.

- Ethan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending