The Student Room Group

I think my predicted grades are way too high and everyone is going be disappointed

. .
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thecallousheart
I was predicted 4 9s, 4 8s and 2A*
I think it's really unlikely but my teacgers are all expecting these grades now and I'm going to end up being disappointed with 7s and I'll end up failing everything.

In what way is "7" a failure?

If you don't end up with your predicted grades it isn't the end of the world. A-Levels are more important.
Original post by Blue_Cow
In what way is "7" a failure?

If you don't end up with your predicted grades it isn't the end of the world. A-Levels are more important.

Because I have parents that I'll be mad if I get less that predictions.

I find GCSE predictions to be wildly inaccurate for most people.
Reply 4
I was predicted 4 9s, 4 8s and 2A*
I think it's really unlikely but my teacgers are all expecting these grades now and I'm going to end up being disappointed with 7s and I'll end up failing everything.

How does a 7 which is an A mean you failed? That's the most stupid thing I have ever heard, an A literally means you are one of the top students in the country for that specific subject, calling that a failure is just retarded. When I get my GCSE results I will admit that if I end up with As in subjects where I was expecting A*s I would be disappointed but calling that a failure is just exaggerating.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5

Asian I am guessing, don't worry, if you are Asian then your parents will forget about it after you get your GCSE results, they are just pretending to be mad to scare you.
A 7 is an A... That's nowhere near failing. But I get where you're coming from. I'm going into year 11 with all predicted grades of 9s, and everyone is expecting way too much. I'm aiming for all 7s with 3 8s in the subjects I'll be studying at A level. You did your best, be happy with your results and ignore people. They're your results, be proud of whatever you get.
Reply 7
I can relate to this feeling so much. I remember starting Year 10 and having A* and 8/even a 9 in Maths target grade (which my school calls Minimum Expected Grades or MEGs which makes it even worse). When I started my GCSEs, achieving an A* in assessments was a great feeling but this quickly changed when that became the "expectation" and this led to me struggling badly with my mental health (which lead to my physical health deteriorating) so I would advise speaking to your school (your tutor?) to see if they can help you in any way before it gets to the stage that I got to. There may be a sixth former who had a similar experience or they might start a support group: the options are endless.
Everyone struggles in some way in Year 11 but if you can prevent any of these struggles it's best to start now. People will tell you an A is amazing and it is! But I had to write targets after getting my reports in which I had to take my 'below' A and 8 grades and make a strategy as to how to improve them but after speaking to my tutor this stopped for me. You have to find a way to bring your brain back to the reality that all grades are an achievement because you have done your GCSEs! Good luck next year and remember any grade you achieve is an achievement to be proud of!
Reply 8
Original post by The RAR
an A literally means you are one of the top students in the country for that specific subject

You have a rather disproportionate definition of 'top'.
Reply 9
Original post by Zacken
You have a rather disproportionate definition of 'top'.

Not many people get As and above do they? If you think my definition is wrong would you kindly give me your detention of top?
Reply 10
Original post by The RAR
Not many people get As and above do they? If you think my definition is wrong would you kindly give me your detention of top?

Many people do get A's... "Top student" = someone scoring in the top ~10/100/1000 place depending on your intended scale.
Original post by Zacken
Many people do get A's... "Top student" = someone scoring in the top ~10/100/1000 place depending on your intended scale.

We are talking nationally so the top 100000 place I guess
Reply 12
Original post by The RAR
We are talking nationally so the top 100000 place I guess

No, that's ridiculous...
Typical TSR, finding anything less than A* bad :rolleyes:
I feel the exact the same about my A Level predictions.

Yes your parents may be disappointed at your grades, but they're your grades. If your happy with them that's all that counts. :tongue:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
No, that's ridiculous...

Erm, what EXACTLY is the point of this?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Zain_Ahmed
Erm, what EXACTLY is ridiculous? He never specified the region that he was talking about, YOU just interpreted that he was talking about a specific country/ continent.

This has got to be the biggest display of stupidity I've seen on TR today, congratulations!
Reply 17
Original post by CinnamonSmol
Typical TSR, finding anything less than A* bad :rolleyes:

True :wink: but sadly this was, for me anyway, caused by my school and other people's expections of me which slowly came part of my subconcious thought. I remember feeling really proud of A grades in year 10 until the pressure was placed on me to get the a* grades which were the 'minimum' expected of me! We need people to speak out about the expectation placed on people to get top grades because it is a serious issue for young people's mental (as well as physical) health rather than mock them but I can understand why it annoys you because it annoyed me that I felt that way!
Original post by Zacken
This has got to be the biggest display of stupidity I've seen on TR today, congratulations!

LOOL, at least ik that it is TSR not TR... And, FROZEN? Srsly?
This is my tactic: it's called lower expectation.
So when I go home I say " ahhh i think I got a D in that test mayne", then when I get like a C I be like " hey I passed, DIDN'T GO TO BAD B1TCH"

Quick Reply

Latest