The Student Room Group

First set of 9-1 GCSE maths grade boundaries published

Scroll to see replies

Original post by helloman1
A person with a Grade 7 has the potential to get a Grade A/A* in A Level. You just need to put the effort in.

Which is why I said it's what is expected. Someone who achieves a 7 obviously can get an A* but if they got a 7, it would show one's not motivated for the top grade and it's expected they carry this on to get B/A at A Level.
Hi
Sorry to jump in on this thread. I did a maths retake in the summer - GCSE edexcel legacy paper. Does anyone have any grade boundary predictions for the legacy gcse?
Thanks
Original post by Hanuk1987
Hi
Sorry to jump in on this thread. I did a maths retake in the summer - GCSE edexcel legacy paper. Does anyone have any grade boundary predictions for the legacy gcse?
Thanks

You can look at grade boundaries for the previous legacy sittings and that will give you a good idea.
When does CIE publish its results? Because I took Latin IGCSE with CIE and got my result two days ago(???).

Spoiler

Original post by Treblebee
When does CIE publish its results? Because I took Latin IGCSE with CIE and got my result two days ago(???).

Spoiler

Well done. What do you mean when does CIE publish its results? You know when as you got your result on results day?!
To be honest these are quite high, but I took aqa so I just hope theirs are a lot lower
Original post by Banny0509
To be honest these are quite high, but I took aqa so I just hope theirs are a lot lower

High? On the contrary, I think they're low. I also took AQA but since a lot of people sat Foundation compared to previous years and other factors - I would add 5-15 marks to be safe.
does anyone have the grade boundaries for the ocr 9-1 maths?
Reply 48
Original post by Nadia1233
does anyone have the grade boundaries for the ocr 9-1 maths?

OCR GCSE 9-1? You'll need to wait until results day.
Original post by Notnek
OCR GCSE 9-1? You'll need to wait until results day.

oh okay then, thank you
Reply 50
Seems pretty low, but then I suppose it has to be if these new GCSEs are harder. Can't have the distribution too different to previous years without pissing people off, and GCSE grade boundaries have tended to be low for a while now.
I wonder what grade one would get if They got around 210 in edexcel maths gcse
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Seems pretty low, but then I suppose it has to be if these new GCSEs are harder. Can't have the distribution too different to previous years without pissing people off, and GCSE grade boundaries have tended to be low for a while now.

The English 9-1 First Language IGCSE has very high boundaries, though I guess thats due to the paper. Somehow easier than the old GCSE.
Original post by honeybooooo
I wonder what grade one would get if They got around 210 in edexcel maths gcse

GRADE 9!!!!
Mathematically speaking, these grade boundaries are more or less accurate. According to this set of grade boundaries, only 3% of all candidates who took this course got 191 or above. If this course was taken by all 700,000 or so GCSE candidates, then that would mean around 19,000 people would get a grade 9. Considering that around 35,000 (5%) students normally get A* from the old specification, and around about 15% of all GCSE candidates get a grade A or an A* previously, which is about 105,000 students. Now, 20% of people who get at least a grade 7 will get a grade 9, which is about 21,000 students. So it is fairly similar.

However, this course was only taken by a much smaller number of candidates - mainly those in private schools. Using basic maths, it's clear that these boundaries are going to be less accurate than if this course was taken by all 700,000 or so candidates. In other words, the grade 9 boundary will probably be higher than this, most likely. In addition, this CIE IGCSE course and the other 9-1 courses most likely had varying levels of difficulties, thus why it isn't safe to assume that these marks can be used to accurately predict what the boundaries will be.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by Einsteinium*
Mathematically speaking, these grade boundaries are more or less accurate. According to this set of grade boundaries, only 3% of all candidates who took this course got 191 or above. If this course was taken by all 700,000 or so GCSE candidates, then that would mean around 19,000 people would get a grade 9. Considering that around 35,000 (5%) students normally get A* from the old specification, and around about 15% of all GCSE candidates get a grade A or an A* previously, which is about 105,000 students. Now, 20% of people who get at least a grade 7 will get a grade 9, which is about 21,000 students. So it is fairly similar.

However, this course was only taken by a much smaller number of candidates - mainly those in private schools. Using basic maths, it's clear that these boundaries are going to be less accurate than if this course was taken by all 700,000 or so candidates. In other words, the grade 9 boundary will probably be higher than this, most likely.

You're assuming that the CIE IGCSE is the same level of difficulty as the GCSE but this isn't clear.
Original post by Notnek
You're assuming that the CIE IGCSE is the same level of difficulty as the GCSE but this isn't clear.

Indeed, my calculation also assumes that the difficulty of the paper is the same - which it is most likely not. Hence why the grade boundaries are assigned systematically - whereby the highest marks obtained (3%) of all marks achieved will be used to give the appropriate 'mark' boundary. Really though, it doesn't matter what the mark itself is, as the boundaries are only assigned in comparison to how everyone else has done - relatively speaking. That's how that the genuinely most able will always get the grade 9, regardless of how hard the paper was. People like to see a set of actual figures, because they often don't understand that the boundaries are only assigned relative to how everyone does.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Mr M
My school requires 6 for Maths and 7 for FM. The last three lines of your quote sound reasonable but I am disappointed your school doesn't appear to be interested in students who might achieve lower A level pass grades.

My school says that you need a 7 to do maths.

8 to do Maths and FM (seperate).

9 to do double maths.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by stoyfan
My school says that you need a 6 to do maths.

7 to do Maths and FM (seperate).

8 to do double maths.

Mine says you need a 6 just to get in sixth form
Original post by stoyfan
My school says that you need a 6 to do maths.

7 to do Maths and FM (seperate).

8 to do double maths.

Double maths? Do they mean doing maths in year 12, and further maths in year 13? (bit of an odd way to put it but I've heard it used in that sense)

Quick Reply

Latest