The Student Room Group

A-Level Options

I've applied for Modern History, Psychology, Biology & Politics. Anyone got any advice or tips? Will these fit well together and what is the workload like?
Reply 1
I only take biology out of those A-levels, but my advice would be to keep on top of the work load (because there's a lot to know) but it's do-able if you stay organised
i'd recommend you get rid of one of your essay-based subjects. So: History, psychology, or politics
Reply 3
Original post by mariejuana
i'd recommend you get rid of one of your essay-based subjects. So: History, psychology, or politics

I see your point, but at my sixth form we either have to take 4 subjects or 3 and an EPQ and I know that an EPQ is my idea of hell 🙄 I was originally taking chemistry instead of politics but I know that I'll struggle with the maths aspects of it, even though it's pretty simple formulae I really can't get my head around it. I just wish my sixth form offered more options
Reply 4
I only do history and it obviously consists of a lot of work. The memory game in History is pretty hard to nail down initially considering you are studying hundreds of years worth of historical events, however the most important part personally is getting down essay technique. In my first history essay of Y12 I got a D, in my second I got an A, just by pinning down where the hell I went wrong. History isn't too bad in terms of workload, but it really just depends on whether you enjoy the topics you are learning. Many people in my class complained about learning British politics, but they ended up loving it at the end of Y12.

(I take History, Eng Lit, Eng Lang and Art, also did an EPQ)
Sounds like a good varied mix to me, with 2 facilitating subjects which will keep options open. Do you know what you are looking to studying in the future?
I do history and the workload is a lot - lots of essays, learning dates and statistics and stuff and essay technique practice etc

Quick Reply

Latest