The Student Room Group

Which do you prefer? Books or films?

Poll

Books or films?

I personally prefer books in general, though I can't deny the awesomeness of some films! I find that books paint a better picture of a story, and that I care more about written characters as you get more insight into them throughout.

But which do you prefer, and why? :holmes:
Leaning towards books. I find that books are more descriptive, but films are good if you don't understand something (e.g. how the book is written). When I was younger the 6th Harry Potter film explained the plot easier than the book did, then I went back to read the book and it was a lot clearer.
At the moment I'd say books, though I find films are much easier if you're feeling lazy. I do get easily distracted with films so books would help with that :smile:
Both. Some things are better picturised and some better written.
You can watch 10 films in the time it takes to read one book. Or at least for me that's the case I'm a slow reader.
Reply 5
I love both but I would say in terms of actual content - I usually prefer books as they usually have a lot more detail and back story but in terms of the actual activity, I prefer watching films to reading since I am a tad lazy at times :teehee:
If you're comparing them, for me certain things are always better on paper:

Things like crime thrillers and detective books are usually better on screen, but fantasy books are so much better in your head if you can imagine the scene properly compared to films. The Harry Potter films are excellent but the books destroy them for me :smile:

As for books on their own VS films on their own I can't really choose. I enjoy films a lot but a good really book is pretty hard to beat :tongue:
I normally prefer reading the original book to seeing the film version.

The first reason for enjoying the book more than the film is because a book usually takes several days or weeks to read where as a film only lasts for two or three hours. So I can enjoy reading a book for much longer than watching a film. Furthermore, be cause most films are much shorter than books, the director has to cut a lot of the interesting details from the story. As a result, films only show the most important scenes of the story and don't usually tell the audience what the characters are thinking.

Another reason I prefer the books is that when you are reading a story you have to use your imagination. The reader imagines what the people and the places in the story look like and how the characters speak. However, this isn't possible when you watch a film because the director makes the decisions about the appearance of the characters and the scenes.

Finally, reading a book is a great way to relax and to enter the world that the author has created. You can read a book anywhere you like - in bed, on the beach or on a train as you travel to work. While it is true that these days you don't have to watch a film at the cinema or on TV it is still much easier to take a book with you and read a chapter when you have nothing else to do for half an hour.

So, although it is much easier to watch the film adaptation of a novel than to read the original book. I prefer reading the book. It lasts longer and gives me more enjoyment, it allows you to use your imagination and it is a very good way to relax.
This is a good analysis in my view; some things are suited to screen and others to book, as you say. Definitely good to be able to appreciate both :biggrin:
Books. Don't know why, I just like reading and don't particularly enjoy watching TV tbh.
films i guess, but tbh i'm not into books or film most of the time. It's just i can't stay focused for a long time when reading a book whereas when watching a movie i can
Do you mean of the same story? Or generally?

If it's the former, generally the books. Often TV/films miss out a lot of important storyline for time

If it's generally - I like both, but I probably watch more than I read (reading tends to be before I go to sleep or while travelling)
Original post by shadowdweller
I personally prefer books in general, though I can't deny the awesomeness of some films! I find that books paint a better picture of a story, and that I care more about written characters as you get more insight into them throughout.

But which do you prefer, and why? :holmes:

Same here. Would prefer books to, if I have to decide between films and books. It is right that films may awesome and I like it to watch such ones now and then.

Books are better to relax and to calm down and it does not matter what kind of book it is.
books because a lot more is left up to the imagination.
however, some films are simply magical and you're left feeling numb.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending