The Student Room Group

570 in the UKCAT...what now?

I'm trying to be positive. I want this really badly and I'm not giving up, at the same time...I have to be realistic right?

UKCAT- 2280 (570 average) SJT Band 2

VR- 510
DM- 650
QR- 490
AR- 630

GCSE (older, I'm a mature student)

3 A*
4 As
1 Bs

A Levels ("":wink:

A*A*A

Access To Medicine 2018 - Manchester College. Start 11th September no predicted grades as of yet.

What do you think are my best chances? I had been thinking ideally of HYMS but thinking the UKCAT will make that impossible now. How about Aberdeen? I definitely feel it's still worth applying as I know this poor score isn't related to my abilities as a potential doctor. I don't want to give up but I'm very limited now I know. Any advice on next moves would be so appreciated. Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by alanjames
I'm trying to be positive. I want this really badly and I'm not giving up, at the same time...I have to be realistic right?

VR- 510
DM- 650
QR- 490
AR- 630

3 A*
4 As
1 Bs

A*A*A

Access To Medicine 2018 - Manchester College. Start 11th September no predicted grades as of yet.

What do you think are my best chances? I had been thinking ideally of HYMS but thinking the UKCAT will make that impossible now. How about Aberdeen? I definitely feel it's still worth applying as I know this poor score isn't related to my abilities as a potential doctor. I don't want to give up but I'm very limited now I know. Any advice on next moves would be so appreciated. Thanks

if you have A*A*A for A levels then why are you applying via the access course?

Also can i just ask, how did you find the interview for that course? I only ask as i plan on studying the same one for entry to medicine.

Have you thought about taking the BMAT, and applying to BMAT universities to widen your chances? As your UKCAT score is relatively low, so really the BMAT may grant you another chance.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Dann.It
if you have A*A*A for A levels then why are you applying via the access course?

Also can i just ask, how did you find the interview for that course? I only ask as i plan on studying the same one for entry to medicine.

Have you thought about taking the BMAT, and applying to BMAT universities to widen your chances? As your UKCAT score is relatively low, so really the BMAT may grant you another chance.

Hi :smile:

I'm 26 so they were completed quite some time ago and not relevant to any med application in 2017.

I found the interview very laid back and friendly. It's a lovely place. I was offered places on both COWA and Manchester Access courses and though COWA has a more recognisable reputation, I went with Manchester because of how friendly and supportive the atmosphere was. Distance played a part too mind you.

BMAT has crossed my mind, can't help but feel I'd do even worse in that but it's an option I am considering.

VR- 510
DM- 650
QR- 490
AR- 630

3 A*
4 As
1 Bs

A*A*A

The GCSE and particularly A levels are fine. Are your A levels too 'old' to use for this medicine entry, or are they in the wrong subjects or something, hence the Access to Medicine.

There's no point soft-soaping about the UKCAT - it's really not great, particularly the VR and QR. Different unis place a different degree of importance to UKCAT scores, but it would be safe to say that you can discount Newcastle, if this was one of your original choices.

It's not over, but you'd need to be clever with your choices and add some value somewhere to make up for a poor UKCAT performance.
BMAT is screaming out to me reading this post. You have amazing A levels. Just revise well for the BMAT, you still have hope.
Reply 5
Hi :smile:

I'm 26 so they were completed quite some time ago and not relevant to any med application in 2017.

I found the interview very laid back and friendly. It's a lovely place. I was offered places on both COWA and Manchester Access courses and though COWA has a more recognisable reputation, I went with Manchester because of how friendly and supportive the atmosphere was. Distance played a part too mind you.

BMAT has crossed my mind, can't help but feel I'd do even worse in that but it's an option I am considering.

Hi,

That's good to hear. Did they provide any sort of information as to what percentage of those studying the course actually goes onto to study Medicine?

And to be honest, with your GCSE stat's you can pretty much apply to all of the universities which accept the Manchester Access course.

But yes, i think you should consider the BMAT. What's the worst that could happen?:h:
Reply 6
Original post by Dann.It
Hi,

That's good to hear. Did they provide any sort of information as to what percentage of those studying the course actually goes onto to study Medicine?

And to be honest, with your GCSE stat's you can pretty much apply to all of the universities which accept the Manchester Access course.

But yes, i think you should consider the BMAT. What's the worst that could happen?:h:

Thanks for the advice everyone, any thoughts on unis that might be more accepting of such a bad ukcat?

In answer to your question, I didn't get any specific stats but they did say the majority of people on the course go onto Manchester Uni as they have a "special relationship" with the college.

It's a bit frustrating because on their website they don't list med schools that accept the course but I did find this online:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/admission_statistics_by_universi_3?unfold=1

stats at the bottom.
Reply 7
Thanks for the advice everyone, any thoughts on unis that might be more accepting of such a bad ukcat?

For that you're gonna have to conduct your own research and see which ones aren't UKCAT heavy. You can simply just ask the admission teams.

In answer to your question, I didn't get any specific stats but they did say the majority of people on the course go onto Manchester Uni as they have a "special relationship" with the college.

It's a bit frustrating because on their website they don't list med schools that accept the course but I did find this online:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/admission_statistics_by_universi_3?unfold=1

stats at the bottom.

Thanks for that. It has been useful. Although i'm slightly annoyed, as some of the universities there stated they do not accept the access course from Manchester when I'd asked the admission teams. Sheffield being one for example. So it makes it confusing if i must say! :colonhash:
Reply 8
Any other thoughts? :smile: Much appreciated.

Latest

Trending

Trending