The Student Room Group

The Tories have a young person problem

Before anyone just rubbishes this as typical lefty students, lets remember that Thatcher had a strong lead with the young back in the 80s. The were on the right side if history then, they can be on the right side if history now. The next few decades are going to be dominated by social democratic values :colonhash:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Tories need to focus on housing. It's a key issue and worry for young people
Because the young oiks are just blinded by all the "free stuff" promised by Labour. If they actually thought about what would be best for them and the country then they'd be moving towards the right.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Of course, different parties offer different things to different groups of people, and thus results in a more popular vote for a party from certain age groups. What labour offer, on a whole, is more appealing to the younger age groups (such as university being free, and brexit negotiations.) The conservatives on the other hand appear more appealing to the more older age groups as their points in their manifesto are more appealing to people who have a comfortable, healthy income. It's obviously subjective, but yes, labour won the age group represented by a long shot. From what many of my friends have said, it was the free university education and brexit negotiations that were the key deciders in who they voted for. Interesting post, and good for a discussion.
Children are idiots. What do you expect.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Tbh, mainly surprised that so many young people think highly of Tory economics. They've been amazingly effective at pursuading the population that they are good economists and anti-immigration.

How does this compare to previous YouGov polls?

Yeah I found that odd as well. They rate the Tories really really badly on unemployment, housing and brexit, all things that are fundamentals to economic competence, yet rate them unusually high on the economy. Propaganda will do that to you. I guess the Labour proliferacy myth is still very strong.

Original post by mattymoo432
Tories need to focus on housing. It's a key issue and worry for young people

Yes but their support base is full of people who make a living from renting and owning property in general. Half the flipping Tory party are landlords and directly benefit from high house prices and rent costs.

May has already had to back down from stuff like workers on company boards due to who funds her party.
(edited 6 years ago)
And Labour have an old people problem. What's the difference?
Original post by Dot.Cotton
Because the young oiks are just blinded by all the "free stuff" promised by Labour. If they actually thought about what would be best for them and the country then they'd be moving towards the right.

The free university point displayed on labour's manifesto was indeed a key decider, I believe; a lot of people my age voted labour for that reason (as well as the brexit negotiations.) I guess it's what appealed to the age group as a majority, just like the conservatives manifesto was more appealing to the older age groups. Personally, I wouldn't say university should be free, whereas many believe it should be, but that's my opinion. Yes, my age group prevented a majority, but a lot of us decided against things such as free university.
Reply 8
Sometimes I find it hard to reconcile how Corbyn himself remains so popular amongst 18-24s, the massive majority of whom voted to remain, considering the extent to which his own euroscepticism and that of his inner circle (Milne, McDonnell etc.) compromised the effectiveness of the Stronger In campaign.
Labour have more policies that sit well with young people as things currently stand, where the Conservatives do not. I'm not sure how they would rectify this without alienating another demographic, at least without it being slow progress.
Original post by TheMannMountain1
Of course, different parties offer different things to different groups of people, and thus results in a more popular vote for a party from certain age groups. What labour offer, on a whole, is more appealing to the younger age groups (such as university being free, and brexit negotiations.) The conservatives on the other hand appear more appealing to the more older age groups as their points in their manifesto are more appealing to people who have a comfortable, healthy income. It's obviously subjective, but yes, labour won the age group represented by a long shot. From what many of my friends have said, it was the free university education and brexit negotiations that were the key deciders in who they voted for. Interesting post, and good for a discussion.

The problem is that the young are no longer flipping to voting Conservative as they get older. All the usual things that help facilitate the move "you move rightwards as you get older" cliche no longer exist as much as they used to. Home ownership, a well paying middle class job or a good trade are all on the decline and rents are sky rocketing. People don't like seeing a large chunk of their pay check go to rent in the same way they don't like it when it goes to tax. You can't sell capitalism to people if you don't offer them any capital.

Also not to mention young people are socially liberal and this tends to stay the same throughout life, something Theresa May totally took for granted when she came out with all this citezens of nowhere stuff. The Tories are not the nasty party again, something David Cameron managed to fix somewhat with their image.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm not sure what's worse. The fact that it seems as though only Labour and the Conservatives were includes in the survey or that you think Thatcher was on the right side of history. The latter is so ridiulous it's almost comical.
Reply 12
Immigration

Islam

What no one dare talk about.
Original post by DingusDongus
And Labour have an old people problem. What's the difference?

You have to get over 50 before the conservatives lead in the last election (I think, definitly over 40). It isn't good when the majority of people of working age are not voting for you.

Also old people die sooner and an increasingly politically motivated generation of young people become of voting age, also as the younger people get older they are not flipping to voting Tory.

But don't take my word for it XD

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/conservative-voters-dying-off-lord-michael-heseltine-tory-part-elderly-support-base-pensioners-a7798386.html
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Conceited
I'm not sure what's worse. The fact that it seems as though only Labour and the Conservatives were includes in the survey or that you think Thatcher was on the right side of history. The latter is so ridiulous it's almost comical.

She ushered in a new political consensus. How is that not on the right side of history?
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Children are idiots. What do you expect.

And older people are bitter, arrogant people who thinks they know best. What's the point?
She ushered in a new political consensus. How is that not on the right side of history?

Just because you happen to foster an environment for political consensus doesn't mean it's good or bad.
The problem is that the young are no longer flipping to voting Conservative as they get older. All the usual things that help facilitate the move "you move rightwards as you get older" cliche no longer exist as much as they used to. Home ownership, a well paying middle class job or a good trade are all on the decline and rents are sky rocketing. People don't like seeing a large chunk of their pay check go to rent in the same way they don't like it when it goes to tax. You can't sell capitalism to people if you don't offer them any capital.

Also not to mention young people are socially liberal and this tends to stay the same throughout life, something Theresa May totally took for granted when she came out with all this citezens of nowhere stuff.

I have to agree with you on that, if I'm being honest. The cost of everything is increasing, so yes, labour is perhaps the way to go. Degrees are also becoming more and more popular, and so decreasing the graduate jobs available (depending on the trades available through your set degree.) Everything is becoming more expensive, and more competitive, and obviously the majority are trying to find a way around it. You have to respect the majority vote, even if you may not agree with it. It will be interesting within the coming decades.
Original post by Conceited
Just because you happen to foster an environment for political consensus doesn't mean it's good or bad.

By right side of history I mean being on the side that history flows in. Good or bad has nothing to do with it.

As a leftist I obviously do not like thatcher. I'm hoping what is happening now is the coming of a new consensus which is more in light with what I want.
By right side of history I mean being on the side that history flows in. Good or bad has nothing to do with it.

As a leftist I obviously do not like thatcher. I'm hoping what is happening now is the coming of a new consensus which is more in light with what I want.

Ah, I see. I understood '... ...the right side of history... ...' to be as taking a liking to her or otherwise thinking of her as correct.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending