The Student Room Group

Anthropology Personal statement

Hi, i want to study Anthropology at university, but i am struggling to construct a good draft. My teachers have told me that they cant help because no one has ever applied for this subject and don't know what advice to give me.

Any advice or dos or don'ts would be great,

Thanks x
Well Anthropology is broadly the study of humans, and more particularly of "people". In the UK specifically, Anthropology normally refers to Social Anthropology, which tends to primarily focus on culture - particularly considering non-Western cultures historically, and in more modern times adopting a comparative view.

You may want to look at some texts by Jared Diamond (I particularly enjoyed "Guns, Germs, and Steel" which also has some more history oriented content, and "Collapse" is often recommended highly). "The Innocent Anthropologist" is also meant to be quite good, and somewhat humorous. These might be good starting points for inspiration for a personal statement, and further reading generally.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Well Anthropology is broadly the study of humans, and more particularly of "people". In the UK specifically, Anthropology normally refers to Social Anthropology, which tends to primarily focus on culture - particularly considering non-Western cultures historically, and in more modern times adopting a comparative view.

You may want to look at some texts by Jared Diamond (I particularly enjoyed "Guns, Germs, and Steel" which also has some more history oriented content, and "Collapse" is often recommended highly). "The Innocent Anthropologist" is also meant to be quite good, and somewhat humorous. These might be good starting points for inspiration for a personal statement, and further reading generally.

wow thank you so much, i will read them all

Quick Reply

Latest