The Student Room Group

Low UKCAT score and Band 4 in SJT

Hi all,
Unfortunately my UKCAT score was quite low. My average was 620 and Band 4 in SJT. I know this is quite awful but I am still motivated to apply this September for dentistry. I will be taking the BMAT for Leeds university but I was wondering if you guys know which unis dont rely heavily on the UKCAT and which universities will be ideal to apply to with a low SJT score.

Thanks everyone
Original post by shaun.adams
Hi all,
Unfortunately my UKCAT score was quite low. My average was 620 and Band 4 in SJT. I know this is quite awful but I am still motivated to apply this September for dentistry. I will be taking the BMAT for Leeds university but I was wondering if you guys know which unis dont rely heavily on the UKCAT and which universities will be ideal to apply to with a low SJT score.

Thanks everyone

Hi there, 620 isn't a disaster. So I will be going to Bristol this year and only had around 630. They don't put as much emphasis on UKCAT, their weighting of importance for 2018 according to their admissions statement is: "GCSE 15% | A-level 15% | Personal statement 50% | UKCAT 20%". It's good that you are considering BMAT as well. https://www.ukcat.ac.uk/media/1062/using-my-2016-ukcat-result.pdf - this link shows how Unis used the UKCAT for 2017 entry. Keep an eye out for an updated version for 2018 entry.
Original post by shaun.adams
Hi all,

Thanks everyone

620 isn't that bad, its more the SJT that I am worried about. I'd advise heavily on taking the BMAT and applying to as little UKCAT heavy universities as possible. Leeds is definitely an option to apply to. Stick away from universities like Newcastle and Manchester though.
Reply 3
Original post by DentApp13
Hi there, 620 isn't a disaster. So I will be going to Bristol this year and only had around 630. They don't put as much emphasis on UKCAT, their weighting of importance for 2018 according to their admissions statement is: "GCSE 15% | A-level 15% | Personal statement 50% | UKCAT 20%". It's good that you are considering BMAT as well. https://www.ukcat.ac.uk/media/1062/using-my-2016-ukcat-result.pdf - this link shows how Unis used the UKCAT for 2017 entry. Keep an eye out for an updated version for 2018 entry.

im applying to bristol!! My ukcat did not go to plan either and i got around 627. I was going to apply to kings, barts birmingham and bristol but not sure about barts anymore as i know they are really ukcat heavy. I know that kings is too but im willing to take that risk i want to go there so badly!!
I have 9A*s and a couple As at gcse and predicted 41 in the IB. My teachers say that my personal statement is strong too!! Do you think any i will be considered despite the ukcat score? I know you might only really know about bristol
Original post by 804804
im applying to bristol!! My ukcat did not go to plan either and i got around 627. I was going to apply to kings, barts birmingham and bristol but not sure about barts anymore as i know they are really ukcat heavy. I know that kings is too but im willing to take that risk i want to go there so badly!!
I have 9A*s and a couple As at gcse and predicted 41 in the IB. My teachers say that my personal statement is strong too!! Do you think any i will be considered despite the ukcat score? I know you might only really know about bristol

Sorry for the late reply, perhaps Birmingham, since your academics seem strong and that is something that I have heard that like in the past. My UKCAT was around 630 and I got into Bristol. With regards to UKCAT scores, it is something that unfortunately just depends on the cohort you apply against, since this can vary each year. Barts will rank you against other candidates, 50 on UKCAT and 50% on your grades. I can't say I can give you much information about the others I'm afraid. It is best to read through each universities entry requirements and even send them emails if you are unsure.
Reply 5
Sorry for the late reply, perhaps Birmingham, since your academics seem strong and that is something that I have heard that like in the past. My UKCAT was around 630 and I got into Bristol. With regards to UKCAT scores, it is something that unfortunately just depends on the cohort you apply against, since this can vary each year. Barts will rank you against other candidates, 50 on UKCAT and 50% on your grades. I can't say I can give you much information about the others I'm afraid. It is best to read through each universities entry requirements and even send them emails if you are unsure.

thanks for the reply!! i know that bristol depend a lot on personal statements as well. i have looked at the website to see what they expect to be included in it. do you have any tips on how to make my personal statement stand out? x
Original post by 804804
thanks for the reply!! i know that bristol depend a lot on personal statements as well. i have looked at the website to see what they expect to be included in it. do you have any tips on how to make my personal statement stand out? x

Make sure to cover all the main qualities that they look for in a dentist/dental student, so things like communication skills, being organised, work experience - especially what you gained from it, being able to interact with the wider community for example by volunteering or working with the elderly or disabled, being willing to learn and develop, proof of manual dexterity and any extra curricular you do that you are passionate about.
Reply 7
Make sure to cover all the main qualities that they look for in a dentist/dental student, so things like communication skills, being organised, work experience - especially what you gained from it, being able to interact with the wider community for example by volunteering or working with the elderly or disabled, being willing to learn and develop, proof of manual dexterity and any extra curricular you do that you are passionate about.

thank you so much!!
Reply 8
Did you get into dentistry and what uni did you end up applying to?
Original post by HK787
Did you get into dentistry and what uni did you end up applying to?

Don't bump old threads. The OP hasn't logged on since 2018 so it's better to make a new thread regarding your question. Today is the BMAT registration deadline so do it if you haven't already and apply to Leeds

Quick Reply

Latest