The Student Room Group

AS Level Options:

I'm currently in Year Eleven, and have started thinking about which A-Levels I'd like to take. I'm aware there should be some sort of continuity and theme when taking them, but the ones I'd like to do don't really compliment each other. What I'm currently thinking is :
Psychology
English Literature
French
Music

Any advice on what to do would be muc appreciated !

Thank you ! x
Psych and English Lit go together quite nicely, actually.

Also, do you want to take French/Music because you genuinely like the subjects, or because you're good at them? Usually you don't need consistency across all 3/4 subjects, so having 2 that fit quite nicely is useful, and you have that.
There doesn't have to be any continuity or theme :smile:, do what interests you
Reply 3
Hi! I'm starting Year 12 in a few days and I'll be taking two of the subjects you've mentioned, Psychology and English Literature.

Although I can't comment on the courses themselves just yet, but I've read and been told countless times that Psychology students tend to take subjects along the lines of English, History, or any other essay-based subject along with this A Level. So in regards to Psychology and English Literature, they'll be fine! They're both essay-based subjects that compliment each other quite well.

As for French, if you enjoy it, then go for it! French would be especially good to take as it's a facilitating subject, and will leave your options more open in university (if you plan to go to uni, that is). That's good if you're not sure what you want to do for your career. Also, languages are pretty damn great in general. I wish I was still interested in French enough to take it Lol. French is also great to take with English as you also write French essays in A Level (according to my friend who's taking English Literature and French). So I imagine that's also a good combo!

And if you enjoy Music that's also great. Not all of your subjects have to compliment each other, some people mainly do that so they meet certain entry requirements for courses at university (which I've commonly seen in Maths / Science [especially Medicine] courses).

But, to summarize, do the subjects you enjoy. Prioritize that above all else. Good luck with Year 11, I hope your Gcses go well and good luck with everything else too!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Fractite
Psych and English Lit go together quite nicely, actually.

Also, do you want to take French/Music because you genuinely like the subjects, or because you're good at them? Usually you don't need consistency across all 3/4 subjects, so having 2 that fit quite nicely is useful, and you have that.

French is genuinely my favourite, but it also happens to be my best. Music, I do like, but not as much as the other three.
Original post by Kellyyy_
Hi! I'm starting Year 12 in a few days and I'll be taking two of the subjects you've mentioned, Psychology and English Literature.

Although I can't comment on the courses themselves just yet, but I've read and been told countless times that Psychology students tend to take subjects along the lines of English, History, or any other essay-based subject along with this A Level. So in regards to Psychology and English Literature, they'll be fine! They're both essay-based subjects that compliment each other quite well.

As for French, if you enjoy it, then go for it! French would be especially good to take as it's a facilitating subject, and will leave your options more open in university (if you plan to go to uni, that is). That's good if you're not sure what you want to do for your career. Also, languages are pretty damn great in general. I wish I was still interested in French enough to take it Lol. French is also great to take with English as you also write French essays in A Level (according to my friend, who's also taking English Literature and French). So I imagine that's also a good combo!

And if you enjoy Music that's also great. Not all of your subjects have to compliment each other, some people mainly do that so they meet certain entry requirements for courses at university (which I've commonly seen in Maths / Science [especially Medicine] courses).

But, to summarize, do the subjects you enjoy. Prioritize that above all else. Good luck with Year 11, I hope your Gcses go well and good luck with everything else too!!

Thank you so much, it's helped a lot ! x

Quick Reply

Latest