The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi all,

I'm starting in October as well (assuming SFE clear the funds/make the payment to the OU in time!). I'll be starting BSc Psychology, beginning with module DD102 (though was very tempted to start with E102). As I've not studied the subject before, and haven't done any official studies since school many, many years ago, I'll be doing just the 60 credits in year one, though hopefully I can then do 120 a year after that. Quite nervous about it all, and how well I'll be able to keep up with studying at this level!

Anyone able to recommend any other good active forums for discussing degree / general OU stuff? The OU section here seems relatively quiet in terms of topics etc. I know the OU Student Home forums are probably the place to talk about modules/subject stuff when they open, but at the moment the general forum seems dead, and the one that is open for my course also seems dead, and also has just a terrible looking design. (for example they've merged stuff like the welcome/introductions into one thread that's been going since 2015, which just looks messy as hell!)

Anyway, fingers crossed I end up making it through successfully! Good luck to all that are starting too!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Matsura
Hi all,

I'm starting in October as well (assuming SFE clear the funds/make the payment to the OU in time!). I'll be starting BSc Psychology, beginning with module DD102 (though was very tempted to start with E102). As I've not studied the subject before, and haven't done any official studies since school many, many years ago, I'll be doing just the 60 credits in year one, though hopefully I can then do 120 a year after that. Quite nervous about it all, and how well I'll be able to keep up with studying at this level!

Anyone able to recommend any other good active forums for discussing degree / general OU stuff? The OU section here seems relatively quiet in terms of topics etc. I know the OU Student Home forums are probably the place to talk about modules/subject stuff when they open, but at the moment the general forum seems dead, and the one that is open for my course also seems dead, and also has just a terrible looking design. (for example they've merged stuff like the welcome/introductions into one thread that's been going since 2015, which just looks messy as hell!)

Anyway, fingers crossed I end up making it through successfully! Good luck to all that are starting too!

There' a DD102 facebook forum for the Oct 2017 intake (not a member so no idea what it's like) and probably all kinds of other groups.
I haven' t decided what to do yet, I'm thinking either Bachelor of Laws, Criminology and Law, History or English Literature. I've only got a few weeks to decide.
Hi all!

Starting my second year in October and working towards completing a history degree while I do part time work, but I am brand new to TSR! :smile:

I was wondering if anyone could perhaps recommend any computer software/programs, or even apps that you've used and liked to help their studies? The only thing I have installed on my computer at the moment is Open Office! or even some websites would help too :tongue:

Sorry if this has already been addressed but thank you to anyone that answers!
Original post by sianeoco
Hi all!

Starting my second year in October and working towards completing a history degree while I do part time work, but I am brand new to TSR! :smile:

I was wondering if anyone could perhaps recommend any computer software/programs, or even apps that you've used and liked to help their studies? The only thing I have installed on my computer at the moment is Open Office! or even some websites would help too :tongue:

I'm starting my first year in October, so haven't got anything yet that I've used specifially for studying. But I use Trello quite a lot to keep track of, and organise my work projects which involve working on several areas at once, so I think it would be useful for keeping track of assignments as well.

Other than that, Sticky Notes is a very useful app, my second monitor is normally plastered with various notes on it lol
Original post by Matsura
I'm starting my first year in October, so haven't got anything yet that I've used specifially for studying. But I use Trello quite a lot to keep track of, and organise my work projects which involve working on several areas at once, so I think it would be useful for keeping track of assignments as well.

Other than that, Sticky Notes is a very useful app, my second monitor is normally plastered with various notes on it lol

Ah thank you!! :biggrin:
Original post by sianeoco
Hi all!

I save a lot of time using a reference management application. You have to be careful to find one that's A) compatible with your office software, B) compatible with your browser, and C) compatible with the OU's specific version of Harvard Referencing. (Though even if all you use is a webpage, it's better than nothing.) I used to use RefMe, but it was bought out by the technically inferior CiteThisForMe, so I stopped using it. I currently use Zotero along with Firefox and the free Office 365 package.
Original post by JollyCynic
I save a lot of time using a reference management application. You have to be careful to find one that's A) compatible with your office software, B) compatible with your browser, and C) compatible with the OU's specific version of Harvard Referencing. (Though even if all you use is a webpage, it's better than nothing.) I used to use RefMe, but it was bought out by the technically inferior CiteThisForMe, so I stopped using it. I currently use Zotero along with Firefox and the free Office 365 package.

thank you! I've heard of the first two you mentioned but not that last one so I'll go and have a look :smile:
I'm starting this October with DD102 too. :smile:

Original post by Matsura
Hi all,

Is anyone still waiting for confirmation of student finance? How long did yours take to come? I'm waiting for a confirmation letter
Original post by Persipan
I don't think you can accept your qualification until you get your results? But I can't remember if you need to have accepted the qualification to be able to book. If you can, I'd book asap, because presumably you can cancel should you need to (which I'm sure you won't), but if the ceremony you want gets booked up while you're waiting, you'd miss out.

Here's the list of ceremonies if you haven't already seen it: http://css2.open.ac.uk/students/ceremonies/

I did book my ceremony in the end, despite not having my results! :smartass:

I got a 2:1 for my degree mark overall, annoyingly close to getting a First :unimpressed: but oh well, I'm happy with a 2:1!
Original post by Leanney
I did book my ceremony in the end, despite not having my results! :smartass:

I got a 2:1 for my degree mark overall, annoyingly close to getting a First :unimpressed: but oh well, I'm happy with a 2:1!
Congratulations!
Original post by Persipan
Congratulations!

Thank you :smile:
Anyone studying health and social care through the open uni
Hi everyone! I've just registered to study Natural Sciences in October, so I created the following thread for those doing the same :smile:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4925700&p=73591932#post73591932
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Charlotte.el
Anyone studying health and social care through the open uni

Hey Charlotte, I'm starting health and Social Care with the open uni next month :smile:
Hi, is anyone doing primary education part time in October 2017?
Original post by SunburnedCactus
Tends to be a bit quieter in here than the other forums, but sure, why not. Let's chat!

Hi do you know if I can take level 2 (ti finish) and level 3 credits at the same time? Thank you.
Hi choosed stage 2 module of 30 credits.
Then another stage 3 module with 60 credits, in the students app to register everything was fine. When I have paid surprise just level 2 module charged.
And a message online of the ou Facebook Messenger you are not allowed to take level 3 module till next year. This must be an error.
I was awarded 210 credits for my Ba/Bsc Hons I won't be a year just with 30 credits. It is ridiculous and next year 120 credits.
If you study an access course, say science, technology and maths, are you confined to studying a degree in that area? Or could you change your mind and study, for example, History and Politics?
Original post by Stinktank
If you study an access course, say science, technology and maths, are you confined to studying a degree in that area? Or could you change your mind and study, for example, History and Politics?

Access courses at the OU are just for fun. Well, more confidence building. But they're not required for anything, and you won't be disadvantaged by starting a course without one. It's not a bad idea (ignoring expense) to use it to decide whether or not a pathway is well suited to you.

Quick Reply

Latest