The Student Room Group

I really want to do medicine!

I absolutely failed my UKCAT with 590 average and band 3. I am stressing about the BMAT and don't know what to do anymore. I'm not sure if I'm even going to get accepted into medicine.
I got 8A*s and 3As at GCSE and am predicted an A* in psychology an A in biology and an A in chemistry. Someone please help!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Pommedeterre1
I absolutely failed my UKCAT with 590 average and band 3. I am stressing about the BMAT and don't know what to do anymore. I'm not sure if I'm even going to get accepted into medicine.
I got 8A*s and 3As at GCSE and am predicted an A* in sociology an A in biology and an A in chemistry. Someone please help!!

HI in similar position to you 10A* 2A GCSE and UKCAT 607.5 band 2. Will be doing the BMAT, hoping for good performance and strong personal statement
What universities are you applying to?

I am considering Oxford, UCL, Cardiff and Bristol
Original post by DvsAmjed
I am considering Oxford, UCL, Cardiff and Bristol

I was thinking exactly the same except I'm conflicted between Imperial/UCL I hear UCL has no BMAT cut off score.
I was thinking exactly the same except I'm conflicted between Imperial/UCL I hear UCL has no BMAT cut off score.

They are both have similar competition ratios, and standards. May be choose imperial if you're more confident in the bmat/ your personal statement is weaker etc.. UCL like to see things like EPQ and NCS etc.. and also they put large emphasis on BMAT essay so if you're not good at the essay part go for I lmperial. Also take into account the course style and which one you prefer when choosing as they are in different areas of London.
Original post by fruitshoot
If you want good experience and a chance to talk to representatives from loads of other unis you should attend PotMed, it’s basically an all-day course held at Imeperial this Saturday (23rd) where you get advice, tips and feedback on your entire application from current medical students. They help you improve the quality of your application massively; you get 1-on-1 analysis of your personal statement, mock interview of both panel and MMI, UKCAT/BMAT advice and practice, and basic ethics teaching which is useful for interviews. I went when I was in year 13 and it helped me get into university, and from what I remember it’s super cheap (£25 when I went).

This link is to their website, where you can get more info and buy tickets:
https://muslimmedics.co.uk/potmed/

I did this when i was in year 12 and i really enjoyed it ( would be more useful in year 13 tho)
You have a couple of options, don't worry and revise the best you can for the BMAT,
lets say you for some reason don't get the results you want, do not give up here
focus on your A- Levels and get the grades, this will give the option of a gap year and reapplying with more time to focus on the BMAT and UKCAT,
and don't let the ukcat dishearten you, it different for everyone, you might have been unlucky and got a set of harder questions.
Everyone takes the same BMAT, so if it is hard, everyone will find it hard
Original post by DvsAmjed
They are both have similar competition ratios, and standards. May be choose imperial if you're more confident in the bmat/ your personal statement is weaker etc.. UCL like to see things like EPQ and NCS etc.. and also they put large emphasis on BMAT essay so if you're not good at the essay part go for I lmperial. Also take into account the course style and which one you prefer when choosing as they are in different areas of London.

I'm in year 12 and would love to study at UCL. What type of things should I be doing now in order to boost my PS so they are more likely to give me an interview/offer?

Latest

Trending

Trending