The Student Room Group

Teacher keeps making mistakes... what to do?

Self explanatory title, the subject is Science. I'm currently at GCSE level but I want to take a couple of sciences at A level... there's quite a considerable amount of content we still haven't covered.

I have nine hours a week timetabled, 6 of which are with this teacher. They're nice enough but I notice more and more that things are being said, and they're just not right.

E.g. Abortion limit is 16 weeks in England, no human has ever lived beyond the age of 104...
and more that won't come to mind.
I know everyone makes mistakes and stuff but it genuinely feels like a case of they don't know 😐

I'm just worried I guess. The inaccuracies that I spot I can overlook, but what about the new content? I really don't want to be told wrong and then regurgitate it in the exam for it to be incorrect.

Is my best bet to just try and learn out the textbook, or...?
Help appreciated.
(edited 6 years ago)
millions of people are being affected by hurricanes in America + Caribbean, homes have been lost, lives have been lost and families have been split up as a result of the hurricane phenomenon.

And here you are complaining about your teacher making mistakes, everybody makes mistakes get over it !

try telling this to the people who have lost their health, homes, lives over in Americas following the hurricanes and see if they don't get mad , your problem pales in significance
hurricanes could have eaten that text book
Reply 3
Thanks, not really what I asked though!

We all have questions/issues on here we'd like answers to.

What has happened in America is obviously terrible, not disputing that. It's also out of my hands completely :/ thanks for your answer though?
Talking about the abortion limit or the oldest person in the world isn't totally related to your subject though? They don't really have impact on your studying. So long as your teacher can deliver the curriculum to you so you can learn and pass your GCSEs, surely that is what matters? If other teachers or pupils shared the same concern, they would have said something about it? If your other classmates are worried about your teacher, perhaps you could talk to another teacher.
Reply 5
Teachers can offer some questionable trivia (an old teacher of mine once claimed that bipolar disorder was an outdated term for schizophrenia, to give one example), but when it comes to the actual content, they're usually quite secure - or as secure as they can be, given all the changes to the system. Still, if you're wary about the teacher's grasp of the content, then you could use that as extra motivation to read ahead before lessons (which is a very useful habit to get into anyway), so that you can spot any mistakes the teacher might make. I found that CGP revision guides were a good supplement to the textbook if you can get hold of any of them.
If you are really worried about your science teacher I suggest just looking over any information she gives you at home. I had a really bad teacher for physics and did most of the work myself at home for gcse
Original post by Cleverboy1991
millions of people are being affected by hurricanes in America + Caribbean, homes have been lost, lives have been lost and families have been split up as a result of the hurricane phenomenon.

And here you are complaining about your teacher making mistakes, everybody makes mistakes get over it !

try telling this to the people who have lost their health, homes, lives over in Americas following the hurricanes and see if they don't get mad , your problem pales in significance

Does that mean that nobody has a right to complain about anything because someone in the world is in a worse situation than them?

Of course this is nothing compared to a natural disaster. But it's still a legitimate issue and needs adressing. Other than donating to aid charities, there's little we can do about the hurricane over here. But we can easily give advice about the teacher.
Original post by TheMindGarage
Does that mean that nobody has a right to complain about anything because someone in the world is in a worse situation than them?

Of course this is nothing compared to a natural disaster. But it's still a legitimate issue and needs adressing. Other than donating to aid charities, there's little we can do about the hurricane over here. But we can easily give advice about the teacher.

meh
Original post by Cleverboy1991
meh

And meanwhile, you're complaining about someone complaining about their education. Don't you think that's really trivial compared to the hurricane that you bring up?
Original post by ethistu7
Self explanatory title, the subject is Science. I'm currently at GCSE level but I want to take a couple of sciences at A level... there's quite a considerable amount of content we still haven't covered.

I have nine hours a week timetabled, 6 of which are with this teacher. They're nice enough but I notice more and more that things are being said, and they're just not right.

E.g. Abortion limit is 16 weeks in England, no human has ever lived beyond the age of 104...
and more that won't come to mind.
I know everyone makes mistakes and stuff but it genuinely feels like a case of they don't know 😐

I'm just worried I guess. The inaccuracies that I spot I can overlook, but what about the new content? I really don't want to be told wrong and then regurgitate it in the exam for it to be incorrect.

Is my best bet to just try and learn out the textbook, or...?
Help appreciated.

Politely point out his or her mistakes. That way you can find out if it was their mistake, or if it was something you could have understood better.
Original post by TheMindGarage
And meanwhile, you're complaining about someone complaining about their education. Don't you think that's really trivial compared to the hurricane that you bring up?

meh
shut up shut up shut up shut up ^^^^ :afraid:

Quick Reply

Latest