The Student Room Group

Maths Homework - Multiplying Algebraic Fractions

Basically, I am on MyMaths seriously debating throwing my laptop out of the window. I’m stuck on multiplying algebraic fractions and I just don’t get it! I really need a good mark on this homework as well! If anyone understands this please comment below so I can ask you some questions :smile:
Which questions are you having problems with and what year are you in?
Let's see the homework and i'll try to help you answer it : )
Reply 3
839E8F97-463E-4D01-8569-DD2635459F4B.jpg.jpeg
Reply 4
@black1blade and @Maxiimoose
Original post by saxophonemma

First, have you got some paper? Trying to work out my maths by hand usually takes longer than just using scrap paper, but I know a lot of people just try to do it in their head!
then think about how you would multiply a fraction such as 57×37 \frac {5}{7} \times \frac {3}{7}
You need to do the same as you would for this just including the xs.
Let me know if you're still stuck
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Basically, I am on MyMaths seriously debating throwing my laptop out of the window. I’m stuck on multiplying algebraic fractions and I just don’t get it! I really need a good mark on this homework as well! If anyone understands this please comment below so I can ask you some questions :smile:

Firstly ignore that Tutors Person you will get the help you need here.

So on the first one, Can you cancel anything down like does 6x^4 cancel down with 6x in any way? like for example 6x(x^3) is the same as 6x^4 and that makes 6x a factor of it so can be cancelled down can't it? give it another shot.
Yeah multiply the both numerators together to create the numerator of a combined fraction then multiply both the denominators to give the denominator. Then look for common factors of the numerator and denominator to cancel things out. Btw the one you entered is incorrect although you got the power of x (just x on the bottom) correct.

Do you know how to cancel fractions?

To multiply fractions, you have to multiply the numerators and the denominators, so ab×cd=acbd \frac{a}{b} \times \frac{c}{d} = \frac{ac}{bd}

Next think about canceling, a5a3=a2\frac{a^5}{a^3} = a^2, this is because of the division rule for indices, which means you must subtract the denominators power from the numerator's power, if they have the same base, a.

Also the multiplation rule means you must add the powers of two numbers with the same base, i,e. a2×a4=a2+4=a6 a^2 \times a^4 = a^{2+4} = a^6

Now, applying that to your question; 6x33×56x=6x3×53×6x\frac{6x^3}{3} \times \frac{5}{6x} = \frac{6x^3 \times 5}{3 \times 6x}, here you can do whats known as cancelling, 6 cancels with 6 since 66=1\frac{6}{6} =1 and you can use the division rule for your powers of x. Try to do the same thing with the other questions.

Multiply tops together and multiply bottoms together, then cancel out anything that's common on both the top and bottom. And write down the intermediate steps on paper! It's very difficult to do the whole thing in one go unless you've done it so many times it becomes automatic.
Reply 10
Thank you! I’m still a little stuck on it as I’ve got a lot of work to do today so I’ve been procrastinating a lot..I still don’t really under how to do it 😂
Thank you! I’m still a little stuck on it as I’ve got a lot of work to do today so I’ve been procrastinating a lot..I still don’t really under how to do it 😂

How far have you been getting with the questions? Do you understand how to multiply them into one fraction from the explanations above or do you need this explaining further?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12

You need to build up your confidence on these by practising with simpler examples and then working up to more complicated problems.

Can you work out the answer to something like this:

2x×x23\frac{2}{x} \times \frac{x^2}{3}

Quick Reply

Latest