The Student Room Group

How many degress do you take at university?

I was interested to know how many degees do people take at university? I am currently in Year 11 and I am choosing my A-level options.
I do about 2, I'm doing a Business degree and a Medical Science Degree. My friend is super talented so he does 3, however, Some are a bit slow so only do about 1 degree over three years.
Ignore the above.

You do an undergraduate degree. Its one qualification, although it may involve one or two different subjects studied at the same time. You dont do 'lots of degrees' like you do 3 A levels at once.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
Ignore the above.

You do an undergraduate degree. Its one qualification, although it may involve one or two different subjects studied at the same time. You dont do 'lots of degrees' like you do 3 A levels at once.

So how many undergraduate degrees do you do?

Give me a number?
Original post by saras2710

Give me a number?

You do one. End of question. I don't know why you'd think you'd do more. You apply for degrees like medicine, geography, history, maths, etc. It's one degree you do.
Um, only one degree. I genuinely cannot see how you are confused. You apply to a max of 5 universities for the same or different courses, but you only go to one university and do one degree. You do an undergraduate degree, then you can move on to postgraduate if you want.
Reply 6

Give me a number?

Just one.

Unless you want to a second one after you graduate.
Ok Thanks Everyone
Reply 8
Yes, it can be like: Associate's Degrees/Bachelor's/Graduate/Master's/ Doctoral/Professional Degrees. it depends on you. :smile:
I was interested to know how many degees do people take at university? I am currently in Year 11 and I am choosing my A-level options.

So I've only read the top few replies so not sure if someone has pointed this out

However people have got heavily mistaken because you mentioned university. If you are in year 11 and looking into courses for A Levels, you aren't looking for University courses. Look at colleges for degrees (or your 6th form). They usually are under the category "A-levels" "Diplomas" etc. (Diploma's, at least with my Diploma, consists of one whole course which you end up with or under 5-7 A levels from). You'll stay in this education till you're 18, then you h can look at universities (undergraduate courses. Under graduate courses are one step higher than A levels and usually require you to have A Levels for you to have a place in the course.

GCSE -> A Levels -> Undergraduate (often Bachelor degrees (i.e BA(Hons), BSc(Hons) etc) -> Postgraduate (Usually Masters degrees) etc

Don't look at undergraduate courses right now if you haven't studied and completed your A Levels yet. No point as your wooing in the wrong area
Looking in the wrong area*
Original post by DrawTheLine
Um, only one degree. I genuinely cannot see how you are confused. You apply to a max of 5 universities for the same or different courses, but you only go to one university and do one degree. You do an undergraduate degree, then you can move on to postgraduate if you want.

Re-read their original post. Everyone has got confused as they mentioned uni. However they said they are still in year 11 and looking for courses after that. They aren't/shouldn't be looking for undergraduate courses right now as they haven't done their A Levels :tongue:

So I forgot to mention in my original comment.

So in A Levels it depends on where you study and what course. For example in 6th form in High schools, you will have to pick a minimum amount of aubjects, usually around 4 subjects, to study. Each subject will be usually 1 A level each.

Or you can go to college and study one course. This usually costs of multiple A levels. (For example during college I did an level 3 (and extended level 3) Diploma in Art and Design. Altogether that was equivalent to 5 A levels).
So college is good if you need to devote yourself to one certain subject for your chosen career (if you know what you want at this time)

6th form would be good if you need to study multiple subjects for your chosen career, or if you aren't fully sure what you want to do for a job yet and are studying multiple subjects you enjoy (keeping your options open).

Or you can try apprenticeships which esrns you qualifications while working in your chosen career.

Once you've finished your course(s) (usually around the age of 18), you can advance onto university if you want and do an undergraduate course which usually lasts around 3-4 years, (or longer if it's a part time course). Then after them years of that course you can try postgraduate or go into your chosen career.
Original post by TooNocturnal
Re-read their original post. Everyone has got confused as they mentioned uni. However they said they are still in year 11 and looking for courses after that. They aren't/shouldn't be looking for undergraduate courses right now as they haven't done their A Levels :tongue:

No I'm not confused. They were asking about university, so my answer related to university. When I was in year 11 I was looking at universities too. Schools encourage you to look early so you're prepared when it comes to choosing your A-Levels. Maybe the OP was confused about what they were asking about, however it seemed pretty clear to me and others who have answered.
Original post by DrawTheLine
No I'm not confused. They were asking about university, so my answer related to university. When I was in year 11 I was looking at universities too. Schools encourage you to look early so you're prepared when it comes to choosing your A-Levels. Maybe the OP was confused about what they were asking about, however it seemed pretty clear to me and others who have answered.

I wasn't saying you was wrong, I was saying that the OP was confused and seems to have wrote the wrong thing, giving them answers that further confuse them (However in the right context are 100% right).

I wasn't replying to you to start an arguement/debate or telling you you're wrong. I was replying to what you said "I can't see why you're confused"
Original post by Lemon Haze
I do about 2, I'm doing a Business degree and a Medical Science Degree. My friend is super talented so he does 3, however, Some are a bit slow so only do about 1 degree over three years.

What a joker:lol::lol::lol:

You do one degree but it's split into multiple modules which are basically like topics. You usually pick around 6 modules a year and tend to do 3 per semester. (semesters are like terms in school. You have one from the summer to Christmas and then one from Christmas to sort of May ish) It can vary from degree to degree because some degrees like for example something in nursing you have to do work placements as part of your degree so the set up may be different but it's usually still similar. Also can vary from uni to uni and even just within different parts of the uni. For example at my uni if you do English lit instead of doing 3 modules per semester the modules are spread out over both semesters so instead of doing 3 per semester you would do 6 lasting both semesters, obviously bc you're doing 6 and it's spread over double the time the work load in each module is less than if you're doing it over one semester so it balances out.
(edited 6 years ago)
10 is the average
You dont ‘take’ degrees in university the same way you take A level subjects. At one time, you study only one degree. First you do an undergraduate degree, then you do a postgrad. For now, pick the A level subjects you vibe with most and think is most useful for you. Don’t feel that you need to take certain A levels for a degree you may or may not do in the future, esp if you wont enjoy them. At the end of your A levels, you can decide if you want to go to uni to do a degree in a field which takes what you learnt in A levels, a step further. Or do something completely different, it’s up to you.

As for how many degrees people do, it’s up to them and their own personal circumstances. For example, you can easily do multiple undergrad degrees one after the other, or do what most people do and do one undergrad followed by a postgrad. After completion, you can choose to do a postgrad (pg certificate, pg diploma, masters, phd, etc) if you want to and if you think its useful for your career development.

I can give you my example. I did 5 A levels in English, Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. I have almost finished my MBBS medical undergrad degree and I’m currently doing a Masters (pg degree) in genetics. In my case, I would have done 1 undergrad and 1 postgrad degree. I’m planning on doing another postgrad degree, but thats cos i’m a mega nerd and you certainly dont need to do this.

An undergrad degree can last anywhere form 3-6 years, depending on the course (mine is 5). Now I’ve seen some people say that degrees are split into modules and semesters, but this isn't always true with all degrees and it differs from university and courses. In any case, that isn't something you need to worry about until you have finished A levels and are thinking about UCAS applications.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest