The Student Room Group

starting uni in sep

hii everyone, i’m hoping to study undergrad law in uni from this september and i just wanted to know if there’s any advice for uni overall?

plus, if anyone else is in the same boat as me (applying for uni at 18 with no idea what’s going on) or anyone who is already in uni atm, id love to chat :smile:
Hi, I’m hoping to study undergrad law in September too :smile:

I’m on the mobile version of TSR, so I can’t see if you’ve posted this under a specific uni, but what uni are you hoping to get into?
Reply 2
Original post by Squiggles1238
Hi, I’m hoping to study undergrad law in September too :smile:

I’m on the mobile version of TSR, so I can’t see if you’ve posted this under a specific uni, but what uni are you hoping to get into?

omg hihiii

i’m hoping to get into the university of surrey, wbu? :smile:
Original post by jas_h72
omg hihiii

i’m hoping to get into the university of surrey, wbu? :smile:

I really hope you get in!! What grades do you need?

I’m hoping to get into Bristol :smile:
Reply 4
I really hope you get in!! What grades do you need?

I’m hoping to get into Bristol :smile:

aw thank you, i hope you get in too!

I need BBB, what do you need?
Original post by jas_h72
aw thank you, i hope you get in too!

I need BBB, what do you need?

How confident are you feeling?

I just need a B
Reply 6
How confident are you feeling?

I just need a B

i’m not sure how to feel tbh, wbu?
Original post by jas_h72
i’m not sure how to feel tbh, wbu?

I’m sure you’ll be fine! What courses did you take?

I’m honestly terrified!
Reply 8
I’m sure you’ll be fine! What courses did you take?

I’m honestly terrified!

thank you :frown: i’m sure you’ll be fine too !!

i took sociology, law and psychology at a-level, you?
Original post by jas_h72
thank you :frown: i’m sure you’ll be fine too !!

i took sociology, law and psychology at a-level, you?

Hey no way, those are mine too! I’ve already done psychology and law, but I fast tracked sociology this year, so just waiting for my result in that!
Reply 10
Hey no way, those are mine too! I’ve already done psychology and law, but I fast tracked sociology this year, so just waiting for my result in that!

oh wow!! how did you do in psych and law?
Original post by jas_h72
oh wow!! how did you do in psych and law?

A*A*

How do you think you’ll do in them?
Reply 12
A*A*

How do you think you’ll do in them?

omg that’s amazing, well done!

i’m not too sure tbh. i’m worried about law as i kinda messed up my exam and i’ve never been good at psych so it could go any way atp!
Original post by jas_h72
hii everyone, i’m hoping to study undergrad law in uni from this september and i just wanted to know if there’s any advice for uni overall?

plus, if anyone else is in the same boat as me (applying for uni at 18 with no idea what’s going on) or anyone who is already in uni atm, id love to chat :smile:

Hi!

I've just finished my second year at Lancaster University and I was definitely in the same situation before starting uni, having no idea what to expect. From my experience I'd say try to be open-minded with regards to new experiences, and make the most of freshers week. Not necessarily in terms of going out every night but more in terms of meeting as many people as you can and trying out new experiences, for example attending tasters for as many different societies as possible. In the first few weeks of term especially everyone is in the same boat looking to make friends so it's quite easy to just start talking to people. Your course will likely run orientation events such as welcome talks and tours of departments and these are great to meet people studying your course.
Furthermore, don't worry if you don't instantly click with your flatmates. It's definitely not the be all and end all and there's lots of opportunities to meet new people whether that's on your course, in societies or sports teams or at other social events. Don't put too much pressure on yourself in terms of grades in first year, it's more about getting used to a new way of learning and studying as well as how to live independently.

One thing I also did before starting uni was to work out where the nearest shops were located and how things like laundry and buses worked and this definitely helped me to acclimatise a little bit quicker when I arrived.

One other important piece of advice is to ask questions/seek support when you need it. There are lots of places at university to go for support, whether that's academic, financial or pastoral. It's better to solve problems earlier before they escalate and the university will have experience supporting students through many issues.

Hope this helps, and if you have any more questions just let me know,
Best of luck at university,
Becky (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
(edited 8 months ago)
@jas_h72

Give yourself time to adjust to university life. There will be lots of new information and it will take time to get used to food shopping, cooking, laundry, housemates, the course and university. It is perfectly fine to feel like your going from one day to the next, just trying to keep up with what needs to be done. In time, you will get into a routine and feel more confident and able to manage your time, studies and the social side of uni.

Try not to panic about friendships. Be friendly and talk to different people. Anyone could become a good friend, so make the effort to get to know people by spending time with them.

Enjoy university. Yes, you do have to study, but it's also a great opportunity to try different societies, to meet new people and to enjoy yourself! This is easier to do in first year when there is less pressure with work and when marks generally do not count towards your final degree.

All the best for September!

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by jas_h72

Hi!
I have just finished my first year at York St John studying English Language and Linguistics. My advice would be to get involved with as much as possible, I found this was the best way to make friends and to have fun! Additionally, having a small to do list for everyday is a great way to stay on top of all tasks from uni deadlines to laundry.
Hope this helps, Faye :smile:
Original post by jas_h72

Hi jas

I just finished my second year of Law at the University of Kent. I also applied at 18 and I was confused at the time.

University is a really good place to meet new people and gain new experiences. You are given a lot of independence and freedom, so remember to have fun whilst focusing on your studies. It is key to develop organisation skills :smile:

Having a work-life balance is key for a law degree. Try not to get stuck in a cycle of a constant studying and always allow yourself time to relax.

All the best at University.

Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by jas_h72

Hi @jas_h72,

I've just finished my second year studying geography, and I definitely felt the same way when I was applying and getting ready to go!

You'll regularly hear people tell you to get involved with anything and everything you can, be open-minded to university life and new experiences, and put yourself out there as much as you can - which is actually good advice! There is so much going on when you first start university, and it can be overwhelming, but definitely keep in mind this advice and make sure to make time for yourself too!

Don't worry about making friends! There are so many opportunities to meet people at university (e.g. in your accommodation, on your course, through a sport or society, etc.), so I'd recommend just taking to as many people as you can.

Don't put so much pressure on your first year, but also strive to do well! First year is a really great time to find out how you can be the most productive, what areas you need the most help with, and how you can do better, so make sure to reach out to staff and lecturers in this time and organize yourself well.

A few of things that really helped me to settle into my first year were making sure my room felt homely; researching laundry facilities, nearby supermarkets, activities, and interesting things around the city that I could do; and taking the time to walk around campus (a few times!) to make sure I knew where everything was.

Best of luck, and I hope this helps!
Isabella
Original post by jas_h72

Hello,

Good to hear you are interested in going to Uni! Well, be really prepared in terms of accommodation, feeding, transport etc Get involved in class, jobs, volunteer groups, clubs and societies. Don't be afraid to speak up, ask questions or ask for help. Be confident in yourself. Plan and schedule how you spend your time and resources. Don't get carried away by unimportant stuff. Be open-minded and tolerant. Know your surroundings. Try not to be anxious or scared. Take very good care of your health. Everything would probably be different than what you know but you'll learn a lot and meets lots of people and make many memories.

Benedicta
Digital Ambassador-UoS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending