The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

What's Bristol uni like

Hi, I'm from London and I just wanted to ask if anyone here is from Bristol or studies there what it is like studying there.

I'm Asian and from a working class kind of background and from what I've gathered it seems that Bristol uni has a stereotype of being of predominantly white upper class people.

Just wanted some opinions from people that actually know what it's like. Thanks
Lots of Asians there. Social class doesn't really matter.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
61.4% of Bristol Uni students went to state school. I'm pretty sure you'll find some lovely down to earth people to be friends with.
Original post by mjustliving
Hi, I'm from London and I just wanted to ask if anyone here is from Bristol or studies there what it is like studying there.

I'm Asian and from a working class kind of background and from what I've gathered it seems that Bristol uni has a stereotype of being of predominantly white upper class people.

I live in Bristol. It's pretty diverse, but obviously not as much as London. Most people will be from a state school. You'll be fine.
Reply 4
I have also heard that its predominantly private school people and hippies? are these just stereotypes or is there any truth in this?
There are lots of myths about Bristol (like there are at most other Unis). At Bristol there are a lot of 'southern' accents, but thats because of where it is and how close it to places like London, but they are certainly not all public school which is often the assumption. And it certainly isnt 'white'!
Reply 6
I attended University of Bristol graduating about 5 years ago and I don’t see it changing much in that time.

That being said, Bristol was fairly monolithic,it was populated by mostly white British students, I could not comment on their class status,as it did not matter to me.

I did not see many BME students at all, and I had classes throughout the University. Did I feel excluded no, not in the least. Like anything Uni is what you make of it, if you want to feel isolated you will.

However I will say this, I later attended Uwe For a vocational course in 2013and the student body couldn’t have been anymore different if you tried. At UWE there were many more BME students I would say it appeared to be about 50-50...on anecdotal observation.

However the same applied, I didn’t feel more or less included than I did in Uni of Bristol.

It’s what you make of it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7

I have the same social status as you - asian, working class, london.

For a university outside of London and that isn't Birmingham or Manchester, Bristol certainly is one of the most diverse universities you could go to. Of course it is predominantly white, but people still come from a range of social backgrounds (from state schools mostly) and tend to have an experience of diversity since they tend to come from cities also (eg Liverpool, Newcastle).

And even people who don't come from diverse big cities, there has been no difficulty in getting along and bonding with them just the same as people from cities!

People will be like-minded - they want to mingle and meet people! Most will be super friendly, no matter the background, honestly!
Reply 8
Original post by .ella.
I have also heard that its predominantly private school people and hippies? are these just stereotypes or is there any truth in this?

I think there is less of a percentage of private school people (i haven't met that many). There is quite a lot of hipsters tbh (but it is Bristol - super liberal and cool place).

But, man, I have met private school people, and some of them are fed up with the stereotypes about them and wish people acknowledged that they worked hard too. Another student told me sometimes she felt less intelligent than working class people because they managed to get to the same university as her, but with less money and opportunities.

WE NEED TO BE SPEAKING ABOUT THESE THINGS and breaking the stereotypes guys!!
from what I've gathered it seems that Bristol uni has a stereotype of being of predominantly white upper class people.

A) Its a myth. Bristol has plenty of students from every background.

B) You go to Uni to meet all sorts of different people, not just 'Asian'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending