The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Cardiff or Bristol

So I’ve applied for geography for Bristol university and Cardiff University.

I did the access to Bristol scheme as I live in Bristol so I’ve been offered a contextual offer of ABB and Cardiff has sent me a contextual offer of BBB but only if I choose them as my firm.

I’ve always been set on Bristol but now that all my offers have come through I’m not sure if I should move out instead and go to Cardiff. I haven’t been able to visit Cardiff yet but I’m going soon for an offer holder event. The ranks for geography in Bristol are higher but I’m not sure if I should just go for it and move out of the city. I feel quite nervous at the thought of moving away but I know Cardiff isn’t too far from home.

Could anyone give me advice on choosing a uni as time is running out ?
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by matching-citizen
So I’ve applied for geography for Bristol university and Cardiff University.
I did the access to Bristol scheme as I live in Bristol so I’ve been offered a contextual offer of ABB and Cardiff has sent me a contextual offer of BBB but only if I choose them as my firm.
I’ve always been set on Bristol but now that all my offers have come through I’m not sure if I should move out instead and go to Cardiff. I haven’t been able to visit Cardiff yet but I’m going soon for an offer holder event. The ranks for geography in Bristol are higher but I’m not sure if I should just go for it and move out of the city. I feel quite nervous at the thought of moving away but I know Cardiff isn’t too far from home.
Could anyone give me advice on choosing a uni as time is running out ?

Hi! Totally understand your situation, as there tends to be quite a few students who decide between Bristol and Cardiff! I think that there are a lot of factors that ranking doesn't cover. It's good to consider the location - Cardiff and Bristol are quite different. Whilst there is a lot to do in Cardiff is a bit smaller, everything is at a walkable distance (in comparison to Bristol where you might rely a lot on public transport, but lots more to do there!) Whilst they are both technically "city" campuses, the Cathays campus is sort of all in one place whilst Bristol is spread over the city center. There's nothing right or wrong about either - its just what you prefer :smile:

Some other things to consider might be the social aspect - such as the student union and how active student organisations are, if they're your kind of thing.

Another thing is the variance between different geography courses. I'd recommend having a look at the course modules, see which modules you'd feel like you'd enjoy more :smile:

~ Fatiha, Cardiff University Student Rep
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
bristol I would say is signifcantly better regarded than cardiff, cardiff is one of the weakest RG unis. Id defo go bristol if I were you. I also think cardiff is a far worse city
(edited 1 day ago)
Original post by new-sick
bristol I would say is signifcantly better regarded than cardiff, Id defo go there if I were you. I also think cardiff is a far worse city

Hi, sorry for the late reply. What makes you think Cardiff is a far worse city ?
Hi, sorry for the late reply. What makes you think Cardiff is a far worse city ?

Hi there,

I don't know if you've decided yet but I'd recommend that you really need to come to Cardiff, perhaps for an open day, and decide for yourself how you feel about the city and your potential life here. Also, I'm unaware of your personal circumstances, but it may be good for you to move away from home - however, that's up to you. I have a uni blog on meeting people at university, uni life in Cardiff and improving employability that you can access here for more insight.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

it isn't - my niece loved it at Cardiff. I've visited a few times and I think it's a nicer place than Bristol.
(edited 2 days ago)
Original post by Muttley79
it isn't - my niece loved it at Cardiff. I've visited a few times and I think it's a nicer place than Bristol.

Thanks, I’ve visited Cardiff now and I do think it’s a great city. Im just not sure about the uni itself now
Thanks, I’ve visited Cardiff now and I do think it’s a great city. Im just not sure about the uni itself now

My niece got a place on a DPhil [Oxford] after her first degree at Cardiff.

Cardiff is really run down, Bristol has its nasty parts too but at least Bristol has nice redeeming areas near the uni etc - also what’s with your hatred of Bristol seen you in a few forums and from your impression you act like it’s the worst uni and city in the uk

The uni is decent but Bristol is objectively better, higher entry standards,ranking,competition for places, representation in top careers. Cardiff is not a bad uni but it’s worse than Bristol and that’s a fact
Original post by Anonymous
Cardiff is really run down, Bristol has its nasty parts too but at least Bristol has nice redeeming areas near the uni etc - also what’s with your hatred of Bristol seen you in a few forums and from your impression you act like it’s the worst uni and city in the uk

Putting students in halls in Wales is not great - every time I've been to Bristol it seems dirty and the violence/crime stats are worrying. The unis is not a campus either - it's very over-rated.
The uni is decent but Bristol is objectively better, higher entry standards,ranking,competition for places, representation in top careers. Cardiff is not a bad uni but it’s worse than Bristol and that’s a fact

In your opinion it's a fact but many would not agree.
Putting students in halls in Wales is not great - every time I've been to Bristol it seems dirty and the violence/crime stats are worrying. The unis is not a campus either - it's very over-rated.

To be honest, I’m not too concerned with the crime rate and litter for Bristol since I already live there and know what to expect. Are the student accommodations for Cardiff good ?
In your opinion it's a fact but many would not agree.

I really doubt that... Bristol is objectively a better university than cardiff by every metric that matters, you are just incredibly biased and youre entitled to your own opinion, just know your opinion is based on conjecture and not fact

have you walked around clifton or around the suspension bridge, its really beautiful there. But fair enough valid points, wouldnt say its overrated, one of the best in the UK for Law, Semi-target for careers in investment banking, regardless of the location the Uni is good, defo better than cardiff and to suggest otherwise its just incorrect.
have you walked around clifton or around the suspension bridge, its really beautiful there. But fair enough valid points, wouldnt say its overrated, one of the best in the UK for Law, Semi-target for careers in investment banking, regardless of the location the Uni is good, defo better than cardiff and to suggest otherwise its just incorrect.

The OP isn't looking at Law. Cardiff Bay is beautiful too and the park near the river and the cricket ground.
(edited 1 day ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending