The Student Room Group

attempts to change course at uni failed , idk what to do now

Currently I am a first year at uni of Bristol studying Economics and Management
I tried changing my course earlier on in the semester but i was told i would have to leave and come back in september 2024 to start the new course ( Economics and philosophy )
Beyond this , I just genuinely don’t like bristol that much and i feel like i’m forcing myself to like being here - I always find myself going back home anyways
I just don’t know whether to just reapply to other unis for this course for 2024 entry since I clearly don’t like it here , leave and come back to bristol next year september or just stick to my current course and see how it goes

p.s I am classified as an international student , even though i have a british passport , as I haven’t been in the Uk for 3 years consecutively ( only 2 years for Sixth form ) so the financial considerations if i were to reapply can be left out of any advice given

Any advice at all would be helpful:smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I tried changing my course earlier on in the semester but i was told i would have to leave and come back in september 2024 to start the new course ( Economics and philosophy )
Beyond this , I just genuinely don’t like bristol that much and i feel like i’m forcing myself to like being here - I always find myself going back home anyways
I just don’t know whether to just reapply to other unis for this course for 2024 entry since I clearly don’t like it here , leave and come back to bristol next year september or just stick to my current course and see how it goes

p.s I am classified as an international student , even though i have a british passport , as I haven’t been in the Uk for 3 years consecutively ( only 2 years for Sixth form ) so the financial considerations if i were to reapply can be left out of any advice given

If you really don't like Bristol then go somewhere else. But analyse what you don't like about it and choose unis that are different.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot

If you really don't like Bristol then go somewhere else. But analyse what you don't like about it and choose unis that are different.

how would i go about doing that? if i were to go somewhere else?
how would i go about doing that? if i were to go somewhere else?

You can apply elsewhere whilst still enrolled at Bristol. If you get offers back, you can take some time to decide whether you actually want to withdraw and start elsewhere in Sept.

With regards to whether it's worth changing; you certainly don't sound happy there, but you need to quantify what it is that's not meeting your expectations. Could be things like location, module choices, teaching and assessment methods, placement year options, career support etc. If you can pinpoint what it is, you can determine whether moving elsewhere will address it.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One

You can apply elsewhere whilst still enrolled at Bristol. If you get offers back, you can take some time to decide whether you actually want to withdraw and start elsewhere in Sept.

With regards to whether it's worth changing; you certainly don't sound happy there, but you need to quantify what it is that's not meeting your expectations. Could be things like location, module choices, teaching and assessment methods, placement year options, career support etc. If you can pinpoint what it is, you can determine whether moving elsewhere will address it.

so i can apply for first year entry to another course at other unis whilst still at bristol? would i have to let bristol know about this and is this the same as transferring?
Sorry for all the questions 😭

yea I’ll reflect on the things i don’t like about being here and move from there
so i can apply for first year entry to another course at other unis whilst still at bristol? would i have to let bristol know about this and is this the same as transferring?
Sorry for all the questions 😭

Yes to the first bit. But you must ensure that you list your study at Bristol in your education history.

With regards to letting them know, technically, no. BUT your new uni choices will more than likely need a reference from your current one anyway. So it's best to have that conversarion with your personal tutor now tbh. You can also frame it as keeping your options open, whilst maybe discussing some of your concerns and seeing if anything is likely to change.
Reply 6

Yes to the first bit. But you must ensure that you list your study at Bristol in your education history.

With regards to letting them know, technically, no. BUT your new uni choices will more than likely need a reference from your current one anyway. So it's best to have that conversarion with your personal tutor now tbh. You can also frame it as keeping your options open, whilst maybe discussing some of your concerns and seeing if anything is likely to change.

oh okay thank you for the help!!

when including bristol in the education section would i set my end date to the end of first year?
oh okay thank you for the help!!

when including bristol in the education section would i set my end date to the end of first year?

Yeah, just whenever you would plan to leave if you were successful and decided to go elsewhere.
Hi, sorry for starting up this thread again but I saw that you did economics and management at Bristol but didn’t like it. Can I ask why? Was the course too maths heavy? I’m doing economics Bsc first year in Bristol now and i’m looking to change to Economics and Management because I can’t handle the maths workload in my current course.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hi, sorry for starting up this thread again but I saw that you did economics and management at Bristol but didn’t like it. Can I ask why? Was the course too maths heavy? I’m doing economics Bsc first year in Bristol now and i’m looking to change to Economics and Management because I can’t handle the maths workload in my current course.

It would be worth looking at the structure of the Economics and Management course; go to
https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2024/business-and-management/bsc-economics-and-management/ head down to "Course structure" and click on the link to the programme catalogue.

If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest that you have a chat with your personal tutor to discuss your concerns. They can hopefully advise on the level of maths that would be involved in the new course, and confirm whether or not it will be a lighter load.
Yeah, just whenever you would plan to leave if you were successful and decided to go elsewhere.
sorry to come back to this , but i’ve just gotten an unconditional offer from the uni i plan to transfer to and i was wondering when the best time to withdraw from bristol would be?
my parents think i should complete the year but are also concerned about getting a partial refund if i withdraw now
Original post by Anonymous #2
hey! it isn’t maths heavy at all but the management modules are just not as interesting/intellectually stimulating as i thought they would be plus there isn’t necessarily an even split between economics and management as currently we’ve only done 2 compulsory economics modules ( one is TB4 ) but we’ve done 4 management modules . the rigidity of the course also puts me off a little bit since you barely pick your modules
Reply 12
If you really hate it and won't aren't prepared to work and learn as much as you can then why do it? Better to find something more productive to do imo. Otoh, if you are going to continue working seriously and try and gain as much as you can from the year so that next year is easier then it will be helpful. Only you know how hard you are prepared to work.
sorry to come back to this , but i’ve just gotten an unconditional offer from the uni i plan to transfer to and i was wondering when the best time to withdraw from bristol would be?
my parents think i should complete the year but are also concerned about getting a partial refund if i withdraw now

I can’t really answer this so would recommend contacting SFE to check on the implications of withdrawing now versus later.

I can’t really answer this so would recommend contacting SFE to check on the implications of withdrawing now versus later.

i’m not a home student btw , would there be an advantage to completing the year rather than leaving now even though i already have an unconditional?
Original post by AriTem
If you really hate it and won't aren't prepared to work and learn as much as you can then why do it? Better to find something more productive to do imo. Otoh, if you are going to continue working seriously and try and gain as much as you can from the year so that next year is easier then it will be helpful. Only you know how hard you are prepared to work.

thanks but i’ve sorted it out :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Anonymous #1
thanks but i’ve sorted it out :smile:
Great good luck next year and I hope the new start brings much success and happiness 😀
Original post by AriTem
Great good luck next year and I hope the new start brings much success and happiness 😀
thank you so much!! i hope so too :smile:
i’m not a home student btw , would there be an advantage to completing the year rather than leaving now even though i already have an unconditional?

No advantage that I can think of, although it would prevent your current visa being withdrawn early.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending