The Student Room Group

Separable differentiation

answer18.jpg

Attachment not found

(3i) , so as usual, where did I mess up?
Original post by ckfeister
answer18.jpg

Attachment not found

You had dydxy2=1\displaystyle \frac{\mathrm dy}{\mathrm dx} - y^2 = 1, not y2dydx=1\displaystyle -y^2\frac{\mathrm dy}{\mathrm dx} = 1 (as you treated it)

Instead, divide both sides by 1+y21+y^2, to obtain,

11+y2dydx=1\displaystyle \frac 1 {1+y^2}\frac{\mathrm dy}{\mathrm dx} = 1. Should be relatively clear where this is going.
answer18.jpg

To be honest, I'm struggling to make any sense of that at all. What does the (x dx) (-y^2) bit mean?

The first step is to separate the variables i.e. formally write:

dy1+y2=dx\frac{dy}{1+y^2} = dx

then integrate.
Reply 3
Original post by _gcx
You had dydxy2=1\displaystyle \frac{\mathrm dy}{\mathrm dx} - y^2 = 1, not y2dydx=1\displaystyle -y^2\frac{\mathrm dy}{\mathrm dx} = 1 (as you treated it)

Instead, divide both sides by 1+y21+y^2, to obtain,

11+y2dydx=1\displaystyle \frac 1 {1+y^2}\frac{\mathrm dy}{\mathrm dx} = 1. Should be relatively clear where this is going.

I don't get where this is meant to go, whats the link with tanx?

Are you familiar with how to approach

11+y2dy\displaystyle \int \frac 1 {1+y^2} \mathrm dy?
Reply 5
Original post by _gcx
Are you familiar with how to approach

11+y2dy\displaystyle \int \frac 1 {1+y^2} \mathrm dy?

Nope... first time. I would try sub but I'm sure it won't get tan(x)
Nope... first time.

Have you covered integration by substitution? Try substituting y=tanθy = \tan\theta.
Reply 7

Which module are you doing currently?
Reply 8
Original post by notnek
which module are you doing currently?

aqa - fp2
Reply 9
aqa - fp2

Then you'll need to know how to integrate that using a trig substitution and you should also be aware that is in your fomula book.

Do you have any ideas which substitution you can use?
Reply 10
Original post by Notnek
Then you'll need to know how to integrate that using a trig substitution and you should also be aware that is in your fomula book.

Do you have any ideas which substitution you can use?

x/a tan-1 x/a?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
u = 1+y^2

du/dy= 2y

du/2y = dy

Only one I know, I'm going to watch a video soon on khan academy but this hasn't been on the lessons yet... strange.

It seems like you haven't covered trig substitutions so you shouldn't be doing this question yet. _gcx has given you the correct substitution above.
u = 1+y^2

du/dy= 2y

du/2y = dy

Only one I know, I'm going to watch a video soon on khan academy but this hasn't been on the lessons yet... strange.

Have you covered integration by substitution? Try substituting y=tanθy = \tan\theta.

:smile: It's not an obvious substitution, but it works quite well as you'll see. Watching a khanacademy video on trig subs, or similar, might be beneficial as you suggested.
Reply 13
Original post by Notnek
It seems like you haven't covered trig substitutions so you shouldn't be doing this question yet. _gcx has given you the correct substitution above.

Original post by _gcx
:smile: It's not an obvious substitution, but it works quite well as you'll see. Watching a khanacademy video on trig subs, or similar, might be beneficial as you suggested.

Is it x/a tan-1 x/a?
Is it x/a tan-1 x/a?

Not quite, you might have made a slip. Can you show your working? (Also, where has a come from? I'd dissuade you from copying from a formula booklet, it's more beneficial to do it yourself first)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by _gcx
Not quite, you might have made a slip. Can you show your working? (Also, where has a come from? I'd dissuade you from copying from a formula booklet, it's more beneficial to do it yourself first)

C3 - which I learnt there, I'm going to watch khan academy (£350 course cost doesn't cover this)

Quick Reply

Latest