The Student Room Group

Need Advice Please!!!

Hi guys,

I'm on a gap year currently reapplying for medicine for 2018 entry.
I applied last year for 2017 entry to

Oxford
Sheffield
Birmingham
Edinburgh

Unfortunately I only recieved 1 interview from Sheffield who rejected me post-interview.

This year my main interest is actually getting in, my stats are:

UKCAT: 2890 (722.5 AVG) BAND 1
GCSE: 7A* 3A 1B
AS-LEVEL: 4A
A-LEVEL: 3A

My current list is:

Queen Mary University
Sheffield University
Southampton/Leicester (I feel Leicester is the safer option but i think I prefer Southampton slightly) (although this slot is basically my 'safe' option in case all others fail)
Nottingham (or UEA but mainly interested in Nottingham)

How likely would I be to get an interview for each of these?
I'm a bit uncertain regarding Queen Mary and the tarriffs, I don't really understand how good a chance I have there.

Thanks guys!
what were your a levels
3As in Maths Chem and Bio,
AS I had physics aswell
What are the typical grade offers for the course you want to study at each of those universities? If you are within those boundaries, you're more than likely to get an interview/offer
They're all 3As, I felt like applying to one with A*AA would be a bit too risky for my liking.
My main concern is Queen Mary, looking at these stats for last year:

Top and Bottom examples:
Low Tariff of 152 supported by a high UKCAT of 2,290
High Tariff of 330 supporting a low UKCAT of 1,760
Mid-range examples:
Tariff 300 UKCAT 1,870
Tariff 282 UKCAT 1,960
Tariff 216 UKCAT 2,120
Tariff 196 UKCAT 2,240

Tariff of 196, about 32 higher than mines had a UKCAT score of 2240, avg 746.6, so he/she had higher tariff, aswell as higher UKCAT avg - if these are representative of the average offer than man i feel really worried
Original post by thebossman313
Hi guys,

I'm on a gap year currently reapplying for medicine for 2018 entry.
I applied last year for 2017 entry to

Oxford
Sheffield
Birmingham
Edinburgh

Unfortunately I only recieved 1 interview from Sheffield who rejected me post-interview.

This year my main interest is actually getting in, my stats are:

UKCAT: 2890 (722.5 AVG) BAND 1
GCSE: 7A* 3A 1B
AS-LEVEL: 4A
A-LEVEL: 3A

My current list is:

Queen Mary University
Sheffield University
Southampton/Leicester (I feel Leicester is the safer option but i think I prefer Southampton slightly) (although this slot is basically my 'safe' option in case all others fail)
Nottingham (or UEA but mainly interested in Nottingham)

How likely would I be to get an interview for each of these?
I'm a bit uncertain regarding Queen Mary and the tarriffs, I don't really understand how good a chance I have there.

Thanks guys!

Do you know why Sheffield rejected you post-interview? Whats their policy on applicants who have previously been rejected post interview? I would consider reapplying is probably risky and you may be better applying to somewhere where your UKCAT gives you a high chance of interview (e.g. Newcastle).

I don't think Southampton is particularly risky with that UKCAT. You could swap Sheffield for Southampton and apply to Southampton and Leicester.
Original post by ForestCat
Do you know why Sheffield rejected you post-interview? Whats their policy on applicants who have previously been rejected post interview? I would consider reapplying is probably risky and you may be better applying to somewhere where your UKCAT gives you a high chance of interview (e.g. Newcastle).

I don't think Southampton is particularly risky with that UKCAT. You could swap Sheffield for Southampton and apply to Southampton and Leicester.

Yes there was 2 or 3 sections in the MMI that i didn't score high enough according to the email they sent.

Their official policy is that reapplications are welcome and have no bearing on the acceptance; the reason i'm thinking about applying to it is because of how they select for the interviews (on their website it states that they rank based on UKCAT scores only)

I've swapped out southampton for Manchster as Manchester invite the top 1/3 UKCAT for interviews.
Yes there was 2 or 3 sections in the MMI that i didn't score high enough according to the email they sent.

Their official policy is that reapplications are welcome and have no bearing on the acceptance; the reason i'm thinking about applying to it is because of how they select for the interviews (on their website it states that they rank based on UKCAT scores only)

I've swapped out southampton for Manchster as Manchester invite the top 1/3 UKCAT for interviews.

Unless they've changed recently, Southampton work top downwards for UKCAT and usually get into the high 600s (or less). I think you would have a very good shot at interview. But if you're happy with Manchester, then that sounds like a good option too.
Unless they've changed recently, Southampton work top downwards for UKCAT and usually get into the high 600s (or less). I think you would have a very good shot at interview. But if you're happy with Manchester, then that sounds like a good option too.

Well the deciding factor for me would be the likelihood of interviews
Am i correct in saying Manchester uni interview the top 3rd UKCAT scores?

If we assume the likelihood of interviews to be the same for both then i'd select Manchester simply because i feel it looks a better place to live in.

Also i cant find any information as to how the online questionnare is used?
Well the deciding factor for me would be the likelihood of interviews
Am i correct in saying Manchester uni interview the top 3rd UKCAT scores?

If we assume the likelihood of interviews to be the same for both then i'd select Manchester simply because i feel it looks a better place to live in.

Also i cant find any information as to how the online questionnare is used?

I'm afraid I don't really know much about Manchester's selection methods so I can't help.
I'm afraid I don't really know much about Manchester's selection methods so I can't help.

thats alright dont worry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending