The Student Room Group

Do I have to pay for university in Scottland?

I heard if you are a EU citizen you get university in Scottland for free?I lived in the UK since I was 7 and I don't have UK citizenship or passport and have citizenship in an EU country and an EU passport?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous1502
I heard if you are a EU citizen you get university in Scottland for free?I lived in the UK since I was 7 and I don't have UK citizenship or passport and have citizenship in an EU country and an EU passport?

No. Only scottish residents get uni for free.
Original post by stoyfan

Yep, I believe you would've had to have been a Scottish resident for 3 or 4 years prior :smile:

Original post by stoyfan

Original post by econflower
Yep, I believe you would've had to have been a Scottish resident for 3 or 4 years prior :smile:

EU students don't pay fees in Scotland under European law. However, you are unlikely to classify as an EU student due to your residency in the UK (which I assume is outside of Scotland).
Original post by Cubone-r
EU students don't pay fees in Scotland under European law. However, you are unlikely to classify as an EU student due to your residency in the UK (which I assume is outside of Scotland).

I think you still qualify for EU Fees (i.e. free) due to your EU citizenship. Look at the fee status guide on edinburgh Uni's website

https://www.ed.ac.uk/student-funding/tuition-fees
Original post by djdubzzy
I think you still qualify for EU Fees (i.e. free) due to your EU citizenship. Look at the fee status guide on edinburgh Uni's website

https://www.ed.ac.uk/student-funding/tuition-fees

Ah yeah, I forgot how outrageous it was. Charge the home nation fees, but not EU students. My mistake. :laugh:
Reply 6
It will vary from university to university.

I am from N.Ireland, but I hold an Irish passport only. St Andrews classed me as an EU citizen simply for having the passport. Glasgow and Dundee wanted evidence of me living in the south of Ireland in order to be classed as EU fees.
Original post by Airmed

I am from N.Ireland, but I hold an Irish passport only. St Andrews classed me as an EU citizen simply for having the passport. Glasgow and Dundee wanted evidence of me living in the south of Ireland in order to be classed as EU fees.

What about Edinburgh?
Reply 8
What about Edinburgh?

I can't answer that. I have looked at what they say online and you could be classed as either fee paying or EU fees, tbh. Best phoning up and asking them
Original post by Airmed

To add to that, it's not just Scottish universities that do that. Cardiff charges me international fees despite being born in Wales due to holding an Irish passport.

What about Edinburgh?

Edinburgh follows the same process of going by passport classification, if my experience last year was anything to go by
Reply 10
Original post by CastCuraga
To add to that, it's not just Scottish universities that do that. Cardiff charges me international fees despite being born in Wales due to holding an Irish passport.

Edinburgh follows the same process of going by passport classification, if my experience last year was anything to go by

Wales, the little shits. :angry:

They may have changed it, since the places are capped and unis like money. So, best to just talk to the uni.
Original post by Airmed
Wales, the little shits. :angry:

They may have changed it, since the places are capped and unis like money. So, best to just talk to the uni.

Might be why I'm leaving! Know how we feel about Norn Iron, but they are gonna fund me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edinburgh in particular you might find difficult, in part because they're already hard to get into. There's talk they have a preference for Scottish students first, no idea if that's true but again might be a factor - talking to them is still the best course of action.

Quick Reply

Latest