The Student Room Group

I have a place, but do I go?

So I have a place at a university, but I don't know if I want to go.
I really don't know if I can do uni. I'm not passionate or interested enough in anything to try go do something like that. Like uni or an apprenticeship
And I know I'm awful at studying and focusing, I've been second guessing going to uni since I started college so I have no idea why I decided to. I'd feel awful if I withdrew though
I don't think this is typical going to uni anxiety tbh. I know this is obvious due to my start date getting closer but I don't think I've ever been sure about going
And after getting my grades I'm even less sure because I didn't do great. I know it's because I had no interested so I couldn't focus and apply myself, but I don't know how I could fix that.
Reply 1
Original post by syracz
I really don't know if I can do uni. I'm not passionate or interested enough in anything to try go do something like that. Like uni or an apprenticeship
And I know I'm awful at studying and focusing, I've been second guessing going to uni since I started college so I have no idea why I decided to. I'd feel awful if I withdrew though
I don't think this is typical going to uni anxiety tbh. I know this is obvious due to my start date getting closer but I don't think I've ever been sure about going
And after getting my grades I'm even less sure because I didn't do great. I know it's because I had no interested so I couldn't focus and apply myself, but I don't know how I could fix that.

Honestly if the passion and want isnt there dont go.
Society puts so much pressure on people going to uni because it means you get a higher paying job. Life doesnt always work like that.
Dont go because you feel like people expect you to go.
Original post by syracz

If you think there's a possibility of you dropping out of uni then don't go. Because what a lot of people forget is that university is an investment as much as they're helping you secure a career thru a degree, you're also helping them out by giving them money. As ii'm pretty sure in England tuition cost around £9k for each year of study and even if u drop out and dont finish your course you will still have to pay the university back that money. If money isn't an issue for you though it would be less of a problem. If you're going to university make sure you get more out of it than you put in.
Reply 3
Original post by syracz

If you don't feel like it is the right decison because you're not passionate about uni or looking forward to it, don't go. If you decide a few years (or more than a few) later that you do want to go to uni, then you can but if not, then that is also fine. It's a big commitment and it's not the right path for everyone. You need to do what is best for you - don't put yourself in a situation where you don't think you will be happy. Best of luck xx
Original post by syracz

Hey there @syracz !

The worst thing you can do is push yourself firmly into a stage of your life that you don't feel you're ready for. University is a lot of money in the long term if you're not 100% on it. Think about when you're older and working in your dream career, you'll always have to keep paying back those loans that may not feel worth it to you. Sometimes the experience of university is not always enough to justify paying so much for a degree you don't actually want. Nowadays having a degree is not everything and rather than spending the next few years of your life doing exams and essays and things you say you don't want to do, you could be spending it getting experience for your future career and building up your CV whilst earning at the same time.

I understand the pressure after college of going to university. It seems to be the "normal" thing that everyone does and it's kind of expected that that's the "natural" next step, but that doesn't always have to be the case. It's also the pressure of seeing what everyone else is doing and feeling like you're one step behind because university might not be for you. University doesn't have to be the next step. Not everyone thrives from exams and they definitely don't show everyone's best ability. Have you tried looking down the apprenticeship route? It may be a good idea for you to get some real-world experience from any interests you have. It sounds like you're not really sure what you want to do so for now I'd definitely suggest taking a year out to gather yourself and just get your head together. You've just gone through a really tough period of exams and stress so you owe it to yourself to take some time away and reflect. No one is saying you have to know what you want to do with your life at the age of 18 and it's so common that people get pressured to go down routes they don't want to go down. Don't put yourself through it if you don't want to.

Hope this helped, you've got this!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Hi there @syracz congratulations on securing a place at University.

The decision to go to University is quite an important one and there are a lot of factors that you can think about:

Firstly, University costs is something to consider. Taking out student loans would mean years to pay it off completely. Or if you can afford to pay it all off in one go, it is a large sum payment. Given this, you may feel pressured to continue with your education.

Next, I think University studies do take a lot of commitment and time. If you are doing a course that you find difficult, motivation is something that will be important to get you through your degree.:smile:

One think that you can do is to take a gap year, or get deferred entry (if your course allows you to) so you can have more time to think through you options. In the end, if you do not have the passion and decide not to go to University this year, it is always possible to gain a few years of work experience. Even then, it will not be too late to then go back into University.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending