The Student Room Group

Craig Shakespeare sacked

Not yet confirmed by Leicester, but media reporting it. With 1 win in 8 PL games it possibly ain't a surprise.

2nd PL manager to be sacked this season.
Sigh. Another talented albeit inexperienced British manager sacked way too soon before he had much of a chance.
Reply 2
Meh like Leicester aren't going to get relegated. Like wait after 19 games at least. If the club are near the drop get an allardyce in until the end of the season.

Unless there are dressing room issues.
Original post by Saoirse:3
Sigh. Another talented albeit inexperienced British manager sacked way too soon before he had much of a chance.

He wasn't talented. tactically out of his depth - went to Huddersfield and treated it like a trip to the nou camp with how negative we were. Did the same at Bournemouth.

Don't know if he lost his bottle after spurs last season but he's not shown any sort of ambition or intent in his tactics and line-ups, and seems terrified of playing for more than a 0-0 draw. I'd have binned him two weeks ago.
Was a strange appointment to begin with. How many times has appointing an interim manager permanently actually worked out? I can't think of anyone other than Gary Monk and even that was only for a season. They've nearly always flopped.
The irony if it was his assistant who undermined him consider how brazen Shakey was, the day after Ranieri, was sacked to put himself in for the permanent job. No sympathy at all for him and it turns out he was just to ensure survival by playing in the way Leicester did and he was close to the players.

I don't see Big Sam returning to management, and Pearson is working at one of the owners' other clubs so there's not a candidate at the forefront who would be considered a shoe-in.
The only odd thing is that the fixture list was very tough for Leicester - Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea. I guess you would expect more points against the other 4 teams played and potentially a point or two against those 4?
Original post by Zerforax
The only odd thing is that the fixture list was very tough for Leicester - Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea. I guess you would expect more points against the other 4 teams played and potentially a point or two against those 4?

Nothing to do with a tough fixture list or anything like that. All that did was provide an excuse for the obvious failings. Not even about the results in the other games - if we'd fluked a win at hudders or Bournemouth he'd have still needed to go because of how he approached them: if you have any inclination of staying up then you earmark away to the previous seasons play-off winners at the very least as a game to take three points from, to go and set up to contain and hopefully steal a point (which we did - no complaints if we lose that 3-1, it's what would have been warranted) is a confession that you're out of your depth.
He tried but alas, it just wasn't to be. Or not to be? That is the question.
Replaced by Claude Puel.
Bizarre appointment.

Quick Reply

Latest