The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by utr
Birmingham (namely Alum Rock) & East London (Tower Hamlets) to name two.

What make them no white zones? Is it because mainly black and minority ethnic groups reside in those areas? Unless they explicitly say ‘no whites allowed here’ or express racism towards white people, they aren’t no white zones. If you only feel that way because most of the people you will see there do not have the same skin tone as you then that’s your personal problem
(edited 6 years ago)
I think it's more than ok for there to be more non-whites. Why it be a problem?

I think it should be promoted and the racist white people who have a problem with it just need to face the fact that Britain is changing.
Original post by utr

45% of Tower Hamlets' population is white. In fact, whites are the plurality.
Original post by AlexanderHam
In my view, what matters is not race but culture. If someone adopts the British culture, the accent, the way of speaking, the attitude to rule of law and democracy, if they take up British citizenship and contribute to this nation and engage as a full citizen, I accept them as such. The colour of someone's skin is irrelevant, the character of someone's cultural makeup is not. It is the political and artistic and historical/aesthetic culture of this country I seek to preserve, not the genetic disposition of its inhabitants

British culture both lacks a clear definition and is also fluid. There are certainly plenty of indigenous white British people who do not participate in popular British cultural activities (like drinking in pubs, watching Eastenders and X-Factor, etc.) but does that make them less British than those that do? There are also plenty of indigenous white British people who question or disapprove of certain British cultural norms (like old relatives leaving their money to be inherited when they die rather than giving it to younger members of the family whilst they are still alive) but does that make them less British than those that do?

In past decades criticism was fired at Jamaicans for having a culture which fostered lewd and obnoxious behaviour along with a passion for street crime, and Asians (of all religions) for not integrating into mainstream society. Since 2001 a new factor has come into play and that is large scale opposition to British foreign policy by Muslims. This political and foreign policy factor has set Muslims apart from non-Muslim blacks and Asians who are assumed by the media and society as generally accepting British foreign policy - or at least rarely having any grievances with Britain going to war in the Middle East and supporting Israel and it's interests. Should it be the moral duty for all British citizens to accept and respect British foreign policy or does this run counter to liberty and democracy?
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
Maybe if more white people decided to live in those areas they're be less "non white".

Yes it's OK.

There used to be more/majority white people living in these areas but many moved out as they either began earning enough to live somewhere "nicer" or they moved out later on as their communities disappeared (see the first reason also obviously when you get a new population in they tend to cluster as they use the same services (religious buildings, food shops etc) which has always been the case, just look at Irish immigrant communities in the Victorian period etc)
Original post by AlexanderHam
In my view, what matters is not race but culture. If someone adopts the British culture, the accent, the way of speaking, the attitude to rule of law and democracy, if they take up British citizenship and contribute to this nation and engage as a full citizen, I accept them as such. The colour of someone's skin is irrelevant, the character of someone's cultural makeup is not. It is the political and artistic and historical/aesthetic culture of this country I seek to preserve, not the genetic disposition of its inhabitants

Your criteria seems to impose a higher standard of "Britishness" on 'non-natives' than on natives and is a gross generalisation of UK public consensus on many issues (e.g. public opinion on the death penalty etc).

Also, "the accent" is a very unfair way of determining whether someone should be "accepted" as British because it ignores their upbringing and circumstances which can make it far harder for them to change their accent. Your conditions of assimilation seem more aligned with those in China than a supposedly pluralistic liberal society. The presupposition of a 'British accent' ignores the regional variations that make a mockery of the concept.

But other than that I agree with the rest of your post and your general sentiment.
Original post by MartinF98
There are entire neighbourhoods of cities/towns like London, Bradford, Luton, Leicester, Rotherham, Slough, Batley, Blackburn, Birmingham and small towns across the country that are majority Asian. There seems to be a lot of racial segregation in a lot of cities, which points to a clear integration problem. In a majority white British country like the UK, it's quite shocking, especially to tourists, that there are parts of London which are majority non-white where you'd struggle to find an English person. I feel like we are losing our identity. The non-white population is increasing at a rapid rate and even though we're not going to be minorities in our country anytime soon, we are already minorities

Imagine if you go to Tokyo and there are large swathes of the city where the majority of people are black or Indian instead of Japanese. Here, we seem to not care about our ethnic identity. Being British is no longer connected to our heritage, almost anyone who's born here is considered 'British' even if they don't live in our culture.

I'm shocked at the number of people saying it's not ok.

What do you mean by is it okay, is it a problem? No. The fact that cultures are beginning to integrate is great. It's a bit of a closed minded way of thinking to say it's not okay than an area isn't mostly of that from the culture and colour of the country itself.
Original post by anarchism101

He probably thinks it’s a no white zone because there are places in the UK in which whites are not the majority. Oh no, Call the police!
Reply 68
Original post by cherryred90s
What make them no white zones? Is it because mainly black and minority ethnic groups reside in those areas? Unless they explicitly say ‘no whites allowed here’ or express racism towards white people, they aren’t no white zones. If you only feel that way because most of the people you will see there do not have the same skin tone as you then that’s your personal problem

No its got nothing to do with my personal opinion as I'm fully aware that areas are going to be diversified, I am referring to things such as the link below.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/08/17/no-whites-allowed-graffiti-daubed-on-wall-in-birmingham-suburb-6858076/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2020382/You-entering-Sharia-law-Britain-As-Islamic-extremists-declare-Sharia-law-zone-London-suburb-worrying-social-moral-implications.html

I know its the Daily Mail so has to be taken with a pinch of salt, but they do exist...

How does this relate to the Whiteness of Tower Hamlets (or indeed, anywhere)?
Reply 70
How does this relate to the Whiteness of Tower Hamlets (or indeed, anywhere)?

Because Sharia controlled zones aren't going to be welcoming white people with open arms, are they? I know you have white Muslims, but generally speaking it will be few and far between.
Original post by utr
Because Sharia controlled zones aren't going to be welcoming white people with open arms, are they? I know you have white Muslims, but generally speaking it will be few and far between.

There was a white Islamist at the top of that DM article you cited. Islamists want to impose their vision on white Britons, not get rid of them.

There are loads of Chechen Islamists, for example.
Reply 72
There was a white Islamist at the top of that DM article you cited. Islamists want to impose their vision on white Britons, not get rid of them.

There are loads of Chechen Islamists, for example.

Yes, I am aware of that, but the certain areas, where they do have 'Sharia Zones' are going to be non-white, on the whole.
Original post by utr

I’d say areas around handsworth are worse than alum rock.
Original post by paul514
I’d say areas around handsworth are worse than alum rock.

I have been verbally informed more than once (by white British people) that they feel more comfortable walking around Alum Rock and Coventry Road after dark than they do walking around Handsworth and Soho Road after dark.

The obsession with Islam since 2001 means that concerns and grievances about black Jamaicans and their behaviour have been completely thrown out of the window by society. It wouldn't surprise me if black Jamaicans are now having the best time of their lives and getting away with their misdemeanours because the eyes of the 'racist' white Englishmen, journalists, and the police are no longer focused on them like they were in the 1980s because they are now focused on the Muslims.
There plenty of white english speaking only areas where they don't speak the language (brits moved over) in Spain, France, Italy etc etc how is it any different. They seek them out & form friendships but ethnics do it and it's frowned upon calling it segregation, non integrating

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SMEGGGY
There plenty of white english speaking only areas where they don't speak the language (brits moved over) in Spain, France, Italy etc etc how is it any different. They seek them out & form friendships but ethnics do it and it's frowned upon calling it segregation, non integrating

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea that’s not good enough either
Original post by utr
Yes, I am aware of that, but the certain areas, where they do have 'Sharia Zones' are going to be non-white, on the whole.

What areas would those be? You do know the leaflets in that DM article weren't official documents, right? Waltham Forest isn't actually a "Sharia Zone".....
Original post by MadameNhu
No, it's not okay. I'm a beautiful Vietnamese woman and I've integrated. I live in a two bedroom council flat in Peckham (hate them bedroom taxes but need the spare bedroom to keep my husbands coffin). I integrate with other people like blacks

Wait, what???

Do you store your dead husband in your house?
I’ve never felt truly British because of the colour of my skin, even though I was adopted by a White family. I know that I’m not Ethnically British. But, it’s attitudes like that which are alienating Ethnic Minority Brits, because no matter what they do, no matter how patriotic they are, they will mostly be seen as an outsider, and not truly British.

Latest

Trending

Trending