The Student Room Group

GCSE Target Grades

Is it just me or does the majority of students on this site have level 8/9 targets? I'm just sitting here with my 6's and 5 (French). Does anyone else have similar targets? Or am I just in the wrong place?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Luckystars500
Is it just me or does the majority of students on this site have level 8/9 targets? I'm just sitting here with my 6's and 5 (French). Does anyone else have similar targets? Or am I just in the wrong place?

You're definitely not in the wrong place. In the grand scheme of things, averaging 6s is pretty decent. It's just that those with higher grades tend to shout about them more.
I have all grade 8s as my target level but it literally means nothing
Just revise hard these prediction are based of your KS2 Sats
and as i said they are USELESS
most of them are probably lying , you can type literally anything on this site , so there's nothing stopping them from saying they're achieving all 8/9's, just focus on yourself
In my opinion, the targets, that your school sets for you, are not that important - they just show the minimum grades that you are expected to get; your personal targets are more important. My GCSE targets last year were all B's and 6's but I ended up getting 8 A/A* grades in my final exams.
Original post by Ex-pert

My friends keep telling me that but I still feel as though i'm not any good. It's hard because I know people come to me for help, but even though I know the answer, I think it's wrong because the person asking has a higher target than me. I guess I just have to ignore the targets, it's making me feel below people.
Original post by tarataika
In my opinion, the targets, that your school sets for you, are not that important - they just show the minimum grades that you are expected to get; your personal targets are more important. My GCSE targets last year were all B's and 6's but I ended up getting 8 A/A* grades in my final exams.

Wow, you did good. You're right. It's not like it means i'm going to get a 6, it just means if I don't, the school is terrible. Thanks :smile:
Wow, you did good. You're right. It's not like it means i'm going to get a 6, it just means if I don't, the school is terrible. Thanks :smile:

Your grades depend on your school but more largely on your work ethic so just make sure that you work hard, ask questions in class and challenge yourself. Good luck with your GCSEs :h:
My friends keep telling me that but I still feel as though i'm not any good. It's hard because I know people come to me for help, but even though I know the answer, I think it's wrong because the person asking has a higher target than me. I guess I just have to ignore the targets, it's making me feel below people.

Ask your teacher to change it if you consistently get good results in class
but it really means nothing

If I were you I would just ignore the set targets given by the school if you feel that you can achieve higher those levels as no one is stopping you. At the results day, it will matter for you and is doesnot matter if you achieve more than the given minimum grades.
Our school targets us with low grades so we can push ourselves more in order to achieve the highest grades. Personally, if ur target for subjects is a grade 8/9 that's good but high grades won't motivate some people to still work harder like me. It will just make them lazy because they already know that they will be working up to that level.
Your GCSE targets are based on what you achieved in your SATS back in Year 6. Which in my opinion is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm in Yr12 right now and my targets were all A's with 8 in English and Maths. I do know one girl though who had targets of A*/9 in everything.
Original post by thegalaxy
Your GCSE targets are based on what you achieved in your SATS back in Year 6. Which in my opinion is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm in Yr12 right now and my targets were all A's with 8 in English and Maths. I do know one girl though who had targets of A*/9 in everything.

Acrually it doesn't depend on sats really it depends on your Kat tests u did in year 7 but even that is ridiculous as I'm in year 11 and I must have improved after 4 years tho
Original post by Ex-pert

they're not predictions, they're targets.
Original post by _gcx
they're not predictions, they're targets.

in my school they label it as predictions
Original post by Ex-pert

i thought it meant the same thing
Original post by Ex-pert

predictions are normally given closer to the exams, after year 11 mocks normally, and are used for sixth form entry. Not as important as A-level predicted grades anyway.
Original post by Aliyahzz
Acrually it doesn't depend on sats really it depends on your Kat tests u did in year 7 but even that is ridiculous as I'm in year 11 and I must have improved after 4 years tho

The majority of schools don't do CATs tests - they may do MidYis instead or something else they may do nothing. The school is measured on the progress students have made from KS2 SATS so most schools do set targets based on these.
for each subject my target grade was literally a c and the odd b and I got 7 a stars and 3 as (Including two 9s). honestly target grades don't mean anything and are just there to make the school look good. ignore them they're always wrong. similarly a bunch of spakos were predicted 8s and 9s and got straight cs
Original post by Ex-pert
i thought it meant the same thing

They're not the same thing at all.

A target is what you are told you should be aiming for (based on your past performance e.g. at KS2 SATs or other assessments.)

A prediction is what someone actually thinks you are going to get.

As a lot of things can happen in the 5 years between KS2 SATS and GCSES there can be a massive difference between the 2. I've seen students targeted an A and predicted a D or targeted a B and predicted an A*.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest