The Student Room Group

GCSE clearing

Hello, I was wondering if I was able to meet all requirement for a uni except the math GCSE which I have fallen just short in the math GCSE, scoring a 5 instead of the required 6. Can I get in through clearing is it possible. I primarily want to try and get into reading university
Original post by ghggh
Hello, I was wondering if I was able to meet all requirement for a uni except the math GCSE which I have fallen just short in the math GCSE, scoring a 5 instead of the required 6. Can I get in through clearing is it possible. I primarily want to try and get into reading university

GCSE grade requirements tend to be non-negotiable. However, universities can often be flexible generally during Clearing.

Obviously, you don't even know whether your target course will be even be in Clearing, let alone whether they would be flexible with respect to GCSE grades.

You could email their admissions team and ask (a) whether the course was in Clearing last year, and (b) if any students were accepted who just missed the GCSE grade requirements.

That obviously won't tell you what will happen this year, but it might give you a clue.
I would say its uncommon, (the GCSE requirements are uually set so the uni is comfortable that you can handle the Maths content), but as above unis do occasionally throw caution to the wind.
Original post by ghggh

Maths requirements are generally non-negotiable and that includes in clearing. You need to resit it. The reason higher Maths grades are set is because of the level of Maths on a course.

If you dont meet a Maths option you need to look elsewhere or take a less Mathematical course,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending