The Student Room Group

history

ive been stuck for the past week with the coursework, can someone who is doing or done it plz explain to me how to find historical interpretations? i really want to work hard on it, but i cant even begin to start ffs
Original post by jimmorrison
ive been stuck for the past week with the coursework, can someone who is doing or done it plz explain to me how to find historical interpretations? i really want to work hard on it, but i cant even begin to start ffs

Hey there,

Have you asked your tutor for the best resources? He/She may know the best places to go. If not then I guess you could argue that most historical pieces are in fact interpretations more than anything else. For one perspective that thinks one battle is a victory, another may believe it was ultimately a defeat. I hope this helps either way.

Regards
Reply 2
Original post by KieranAdam
Hey there,

Have you asked your tutor for the best resources? He/She may know the best places to go. If not then I guess you could argue that most historical pieces are in fact interpretations more than anything else. For one perspective that thinks one battle is a victory, another may believe it was ultimately a defeat. I hope this helps either way.

Regards

what do you mean by "most historical pieces are in fact interpretations"?

pieces as in their biographies of, for example, a king?

can a biography be an interpretation if he is stating their lives?
what do you mean by "most historical pieces are in fact interpretations"?

pieces as in their biographies of, for example, a king?

can a biography be an interpretation if he is stating their lives?

Hey there,

I mean that most historical pieces written are mostly based of the authors interpretations at the time. I bet Germany's interpretation of WW2 is very different from ours. Sure, there may be some rough facts, but not everything will be exactly how you read it. Anyway, I would agree that a biography will be an interpretation. I would just double check with your tutor before proceeding.

Hope that helps.
Reply 4
Original post by KieranAdam
Hey there,

I mean that most historical pieces written are mostly based of the authors interpretations at the time. I bet Germany's interpretation of WW2 is very different from ours. Sure, there may be some rough facts, but not everything will be exactly how you read it. Anyway, I would agree that a biography will be an interpretation. I would just double check with your tutor before proceeding.

Hope that helps.

Mine is on Wars of the Roses, so will I be able to find a historians' or person's interpretation from that time? Considering it was in the 1400s :
Mine is on Wars of the Roses, so will I be able to find a historians' or person's interpretation from that time? Considering it was in the 1400s :

I'd be very surprised if you didn't. Have a look around the internet, I'd imagine you'd find something very quickly.

You don’t need to include interpretations from the time as those are primary sources, and the purpose of the coursework task is to contrast secondary sources (at least, it is for edexcel - what exam board are you doing?)

In terms of finding historians to look at, I just found this website which in the first page gives the names of 4 historians with differing views on the Wars of the Roses (look under historiography). It may be a useful starting point.

https://www.redditch.tgacademy.org.uk/files/2016/02/War-of-the-Roses-Revision-Guide.pdf

This book summary provides a short introduction to the historiographical trends in the study of this period of history, from more contemporary historians to the present.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/the-wars-of-the-roses/sources-and-historiography/85913ECB24FE350CCB0E7980F192FF64

Additionally, if your school has access to JSTOR, then you will find on there, if you search ‘Wars of the Roses’ lots of reviews of books historians have written on this topic. Reviews are useful because they give you an idea of what a book’s main arguments are, so you can decide which ones you want to buy/get from library, read in full and use in your coursework.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest