The Student Room Group

Extenuating Circumstances leniency for 2018 applicants

Hey, hopeful medics!

Kinda stressing hard about medicine right now. I've applied to Medicine with AAB (maths, chem, bio respectively). My UKCAT was 695 average and SJT band 2. And my GCSEs were 6A*, 3A and 2Bs.

I've applied with those grades because of the insane surgeries I had during year 12 (a full proctocolectomy/pancolectomy took a total of 4 surgeries, all of which were hours long).

Tried my hardest to have my surgeries during my holidays (half-terms, Christmas etc). And I managed to get 86% attendance, remarkable considering my surgeon told me to take year 12 off and just not do it.

I've applied to: Aberdeen, Sheffield, St George's and Nottingham (nott is with a foundation year, somehow qualified under my postcode). I've submitted all the universities extenuating circumstances forms with all my surgery proofs.

I've just been stressing hard as my biology teacher simply wouldn't give me an A prediction. I've tried to work my arse off, and he gave me a B because I underperformed in my end of year 12 exams (which was only 1 week after my final surgery).

I haven't really heard a lot of people who applied with extenuating circumstances to medicine with lower grades. Do you guys know anyone or have gone through a similar experience to me?
I feel like I’m at my breaking point, the sole reason I decided to do year 12 and not take a year out was to be with my age group and I knew I had it within me.

Thanks, guys,
Much appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by NeverGrowUp
Hi. so you're not actually retaking the whole year and those grades are not achieved A-level grades? If so, then you're not considered a resit applicant therefore, you can apply almost all unis if you get all A's for predicted grades. It's quite unfair of your bio teacher to not predict you seeing as it seems like you've worked hard last year despite your circumstances. I think you should ask him again as it doesn't do him any harm to predict you an A. You could also just focus on your A-levels for now then apply with achieved grades next year? LOADS of first year students have taken gap years/reapplicants and some are already graduates, so I wouldn't worry about being with my age group as it doesn't really matter.

I should have phrased it better, my apologies. What I mean is that I’m currently in year 13, and I’ve applied for 2018 entry with AAB predictions. My UCAS application went on the 13th of October. I really did try hard to negotiate with him, but he simply wasn’t having it.

A gap year is really looking like what it's going to be, I was just hoping some medics on tsr went to medicine with extenuating circumstances.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by NeverGrowUp
Ah I see, if your extenuating circumstances were clearly detailed in your reference + you've filled out and sent the individual extenuating circumstance forms for each of the universities you've applied to ASAP, then I'm sure you'll be fine! (Applying with EC's too but post A-level results.)

I sure hope so haha, just thinking about it gives me anxiety. Hope we both get offers! Good luck!
Reply 3
From what you've said it appears very harsh that your biology teacher refused to predict you an A. Were they fully aware of your extenuating circumstances? ie did you show them all the evidence that you put on the forms you filled in for the Universities you applied for? Because it looks like your school is refusing to make allowances for the very same circumstances you are asking the Universities to take into account. Presumably whoever wrote your UCAS reference knew your circumstances and that you were applying to study medicine that requires a prediction of 3 A's? but from what you say your school was not as supportive of your application as they could have been. What advice did your school give you? Is your school aware that you have filled out extenuating circumstances forms for the Universities you applied to? Doesn't your school have to endorse them? Is your Biology teacher and whoever wrote your reference aware that you are asking Universities to make allowances for the very same end of year internal exam that they have refused to?

Really no idea how Universities judge these things but would expect your school who should know you personally to be in a better position to take your circumstances into account.
Reply 4
Original post by Cas22
From what you've said it appears very harsh that your biology teacher refused to predict you an A. Were they fully aware of your extenuating circumstances? ie did you show them all the evidence that you put on the forms you filled in for the Universities you applied for? Because it looks like your school is refusing to make allowances for the very same circumstances you are asking the Universities to take into account. Presumably whoever wrote your UCAS reference knew your circumstances and that you were applying to study medicine that requires a prediction of 3 A's? but from what you say your school was not as supportive of your application as they could have been. What advice did your school give you? Is your school aware that you have filled out extenuating circumstances forms for the Universities you applied to? Doesn't your school have to endorse them? Is your Biology teacher and whoever wrote your reference aware that you are asking Universities to make allowances for the very same end of year internal exam that they have refused to?

Really no idea how Universities judge these things but would expect your school who should know you personally to be in a better position to take your circumstances into account.

Yes my school was fully aware of my circumstances, they kept saying we will give you full support in your application... Turned out to be complete bs. My bio teacher was like I don't think you have the ability to get an A, even after repeatedly telling him I just came out of a surgery. He kept saying to me if the med schools don't let you in with AAB then they are the ones being harsh, which makes sense in a way but why would the unis pick me over the thousands others applying with AAA or more, it's just logic that he didn't seem to understand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending