The Student Room Group

Do I even have a chance?

These were my gcse grades =
A*A,A, B,B,C,C,C
If I ace my three A levels can I get accepted into oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

I'd hate to be harsh
But no
You may have a slim chance with cambridge if you ace your A levels
But definitely not oxford
Reply 2
Original post by Ex-pert
I'd hate to be harsh
But no
You may have a slim chance with cambridge if you ace your A levels
But definitely not oxford

If I changed my B's to A's or A*'s would I have a chance? I'm willing to resit.
Original post by MeishaO
If I changed my B's to A's or A*'s would I have a chance? I'm willing to resit.

You have a chance for cambridge (depends on the course) but not oxford
since they are influenced heavily by your GCSE grades
Your A-Levels and PS are more important.

But Oxford does look at GCSE's more than other unis.
Original post by MeishaO
A*A,A, B,B,C,C,C

To be brutally honest, your chances are very very low mostly because you're applying against students who achieved all A*s in one sitting. Even if you resat and got all A*s, the fact that you had to resit wouldn't work in your favour.
Reply 6
Original post by greenjellybean
To be brutally honest, your chances are very very low mostly because you're applying against students who achieved all A*s in one sitting. Even if you resat and got all A*s, the fact that you had to resit wouldn't work in your favour.

Do they not at least take into account the status of the highschools people come from?
Mine was terrible and only offered us 6 GCSE's- Eng, Maths, Science and 3 options.
Original post by MeishaO
Do they not at least take into account the status of the highschools people come from?
Mine was terrible and only offered us 6 GCSE's- Eng, Maths, Science and 3 options.

I'm sure they do take this into SOME consideration, but the argument for oxbridge would be that even in terrible schools, academically gifted students would still thrive.
There are other unis besides oxbridge who would have no problem with your set of grades, don't shun them!
Not getting Oxbridge isn't the end of the road you know. There are plenty of good universities out there.
Didn’t want to make a new thread, but would 7 A’s and 2 B’s be enough for Cambridge assuming I got A*AA at A-Level?
Reply 10
Original post by Bill Nye
Your A-Levels and PS are more important.
But Oxford does look at GCSE's more than other unis.

Thanks a lot
Original post by MeishaO
A*A,A, B,B,C,C,C

You need a solid predicted grade for you a-levels and I would say you need to do amazing in both the admissions test and the interview since your gcse puts in a bit of a disadvantage compared to other students who are applying. I'm saying this in a Cambridge perspective. Not sure about Oxford.
Reply 12
Original post by TwistedFate0101
Not getting Oxbridge isn't the end of the road you know. There are plenty of good universities out there.

I know that. I do.
But I can't give up on my dream. Not yet.
Reply 13
Original post by MeishaO

The information about how Oxford contextualizes results is available here. The teacher's reference can also be used to highlight any personal extenuating circumstances or the fact your school offered less than the usual number of GCSEs.

If you are able to take a year out, it might be worth applying after your A-levels if you really want to aim for Oxbridge but note that not all subjects allow you to do this.

The best thing would be for you to go to an open day and talk to actual tutors and admissions staff at the university.
Reply 14
Thanks a lot for the information. I will definitely look into it.
Reply 15
Original post by Seungy_Han
You need a solid predicted grade for you a-levels and I would say you need to do amazing in both the admissions test and the interview since your gcse puts in a bit of a disadvantage compared to other students who are applying. I'm saying this in a Cambridge perspective. Not sure about Oxford.

Thanks a lot for the advice.
Original post by MeishaO
Thanks a lot for the advice.

I'm not going to lie you are basically starting a 100m race without a leg due to your GCSEs but I think admissions test matter much more than GSCEs so I say you should concentrate on A-level and amdissions because it can cover your GCSEs
Original post by MeishaO
A*A,A, B,B,C,C,C

what course are you applying for and what subjects did you get those gcses in?
Go ahead and apply. There's always a chance.

For instance: How much volunteer work did you do in Africa building houses for the homeless? How much work do you do with the Big Brothers association over here?

Oxford and Cambridge both look at Extracurriculars an awful lot, so if you didn't just sit at home and moan about not getting in to Oxford and have been working really hard to build up your CV for Oxford, you probably have a decent chance for a non-STEM subject.

On the other hand, if you just really want to get in to Oxford and didn't do well, your chances are practically non-existent.
You could get into Cambridge - I know people who only passed their English and maths with a B and got into Cambridge because they got A*/A*/A in a levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending