The Student Room Group

Should I get a remark in A level biology?

I was only one mark of an A in biology, I'm not applying to uni until next year and I need an A for the course I want to do, so ill have to resit it (which i really do not want to do!). I got the marking scripts and my teacher looked at them, and said they couldn't find an extra mark, so it wouldn't be worth it (they even said one paper would go down a mark) and I cant really afford the £110 to send the other papers in just for them not to change it. I don't know if I should take the risk and send them in or not, I wish I had the mark scheme to check it myself! does anyone have any advice? The idea of resitting the whole a level just for one mark is so frustrating.
Original post by maddieefar
I was only one mark of an A in biology, I'm not applying to uni until next year and I need an A for the course I want to do, so ill have to resit it (which i really do not want to do!). I got the marking scripts and my teacher looked at them, and said they couldn't find an extra mark, so it wouldn't be worth it (they even said one paper would go down a mark) and I cant really afford the £110 to send the other papers in just for them not to change it. I don't know if I should take the risk and send them in or not, I wish I had the mark scheme to check it myself! does anyone have any advice? The idea of resitting the whole a level just for one mark is so frustrating.

In all likelihood the grade won't change. Even ignoring the fact that your teacher has reviewed it, this would be the case. In 2019, only 27.9% of A level remarks resulted in a gain of at least one mark; in 2022 that number was 29.2% (source). So the odds are against you even before we factor in the fact that your teacher couldn't find an extra mark. There's obviously a slim chance of gaining an extra mark despite the odds. It simply depends on whether that slim chance is worth £110 to you or not. If you don't spend the money, will you always wonder what might have happened if you'd done so?
Reply 2
Definitely worth trying imo, I’ve heard of people gaining multiple marks even in sciences - would save you so much hassle. Even if you didn’t get it at least you’d have peace of mind, and I guess there’s no full guarantee you’d get the A even if you retook. Best of luck either way :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest