The Student Room Group

German GCSE Grammar Rules

If you studied German GCSE, what are the main grammar rules you need to learn, because I find it very all complicated
Reply 1
The main grammar rules that a lot of people I know struggled with was clauses and where verbs are supposed to go in the sentence. Basic things like verb second, second verbs at the end of clauses and subordinate clauses are extremely important. Is there anything specifically you're struggling with?
Original post by HannahA2745
If you studied German GCSE, what are the main grammar rules you need to learn, because I find it very all complicated

I did GCSE, but I imagine people have better grasps of German than mine so they can chip in too. By far the most important thing for me was understanding the word order in a sentence, with the verb always (I think? It's certainly like that most of the time) being the second idea - for example, you could have Pronoun Verb Time Manner Place, or Time Verb Pronoun Manner Place (where Manner and Place just describe how and where you did something, and are usually left as the later parts of a sentence). I'd try to remember the gender of nouns and their attached adjectives etc, as that's quite important, but you needn't worry about cases too much unless your teacher tells you to. Past tense was always a bit of a pain for me too, but once I got got my head around the two types of past tense (eg. "I have done" and "I've been doing":wink: then it was fine.

Hope that helped.
I'm struggling with all the rules except from putting the verb at the end. :frown:
Original post by fliscia
The main grammar rules that a lot of people I know struggled with was clauses and where verbs are supposed to go in the sentence. Basic things like verb second, second verbs at the end of clauses and subordinate clauses are extremely important. Is there anything specifically you're struggling with?

Ah yes, a good addition to what I wrote, remember what happens when you add something like a "weil" (because) to your sentence.
I'm struggling with all the rules except from putting the verb at the end. :frown:

Definitely something to ask your teacher about when you have a second, maybe make a little cheat sheet with examples at the front/back of your workbook?
Reply 6
Original post by plklupu
Definitely something to ask your teacher about when you have a second, maybe make a little cheat sheet with examples at the front/back of your workbook?

In addition to this I'd try and absorb yourself in german media, listening to people speak a language is extremely helpful in understanding how it works and you'll find it comes more naturally too.
Original post by fliscia
In addition to this I'd try and absorb yourself in german media, listening to people speak a language is extremely helpful in understanding how it works and you'll find it comes more naturally too.

Yes, though I'd start with reading or only watching educational German media to start with (like Hallo aus Berlin) because fluent Germans might speak a bit too fast for you to follow.
Original post by plklupu
Yes, though I'd start with reading or only watching educational German media to start with (like Hallo aus Berlin) because fluent Germans might speak a bit too fast for you to follow.

Could you help me and explain the basic Grammar Rules in German?
Could you help me and explain the basic Grammar Rules in German?

I completed my German GCSE in 2015, it's been a long time since I last thought about it, so I'm afraid all I can remember I wrote in my original post.

Quick Reply

Latest