The Student Room Group

Do I stay at M&S, or go to GWR?

Hey!

Just to start with, I am so sorry for the length of this, but I'm totally stuck. I'd really appreciate any responses. I'll give you rep!

I have a dilemma. I studied media then photography/graphic design, and that has always been my dream. Whilst I was at Uni, I applied for a job at Marks & Spencer for extra money and to get rid of some of my bored-ness. I've never managed to get anywhere with photography. You apply for jobs, people don't get back to you, or they say you don't have enough experience (when they won't even offer it to you).

After Uni, I boosted my hours to full-time at M&S. My managers were always pleased with my work. I've never been told off about how I work (except for having a laugh with someone), and my line manager described me as "my best customer assistant".

A section co-ordinator (supervisor) once phoned in sick. Although I wasn't the longest serving employee in on that day, I had the most experience (e.g. I was flexible with food ordering, refunds, tills, stock etc). So, when my Manager was going home, I was in charge of everyone on a busy Saturday evening from 5pm until the time we closed.

They were all really impressed with how I coped, especially as I was basically thrown into it. The thing was, I really enjoyed it.

There wasn't a vacancy for a section co-ordinator, so I carried on being a customer assistant until Christmas 2016 when they needed an extra one. For the entire month of December, I was in charge of "service" so making sure the tills were appropriately manned based on how busy/not busy it was, making sure complaints were dealt with etc. There was not one single complaint about queues on the tills that month.

After Christmas, they stepped me back down as the vacancy wasn't there. Last month, a vacancy arose, and I got straight into it.

Other than it being short staffed and causing me some stress at times, I've really enjoyed the job so far. 3 managers have all told me how well I'm getting on (once, I was so shy I barely spoke), and the store manager is pleased with how I'm doing too. One manager said "this time next year, I could see you as a section manager".

Before they stepped me up, I applied for a job at Great Western Railway. I've always been interested in transport and it was always something I wanted to do. The job I've applied for would be less pressure, and I'd be taking home an extra £5000 per year, plus you get free train travel if it's a Great Western Railway service, 75% off other operators otherwise.

They all seemed really friendly in the interview and a person I spoke to in the station (who has the same job as what I applied for), said she really enjoys it. They rang me on Thursday and offered me the job (on condition I pass a health/drugs test... which I will as I'm not taking anything).

But now I'm stuck what to do.

At my current job, you do get complaints for silly things. I was shouted at by someone as they were overcharged by 10p. My sister put me off though and said "imagine all the people shouting at you because their train might be cancelled".

I just really don't know what to do.

- People at Marks & Spencer all say they like me. I can have a laugh with everyone, there is a good social side to working there. I've built up a lot of friends and trust with people. One person said to me "I like it when you're in charge. I work extra hard as you're really nice to us all and we all like you"... The pay is good and so is the discount. I could easily progress further there too. It is however, my first ever job, is it that I've just got too comfy there?

- Or, do I work for GWR? It's something new, I always wanted to go into transport. I'd also get £5000 extra per year and free travel.

I'm just worried I'll end up not liking it at GWR and knowing myself, I'd return to M&S. Then I'd have to wait to progress again. Also, if I did stay at M&S, I'd want to keep on progressing if I'm there for the foreseeable future.

Thank you so much!
If GWR is something that interests you, then I would go for it. You have been at M and S for quite a while, and it is only natural that you would want to do other things. Whilst it is a comfortable job for you and you enjoy it, you want to be able to find something that excites you, challenges you.

Your colleagues would understand too. If transport is one of the areas that you wanted to work in, it would make sense to accept the job offer.
Original post by cheesecakelove
If GWR is something that interests you, then I would go for it. You have been at M and S for quite a while, and it is only natural that you would want to do other things. Whilst it is a comfortable job for you and you enjoy it, you want to be able to find something that excites you, challenges you.

Your colleagues would understand too. If transport is one of the areas that you wanted to work in, it would make sense to accept the job offer.

Thank you. I do really like my current job. It's just transport was always something I wanted to go into. I'm just worried now, because I do enjoy it at M&S, I won't enjoy it at the job I've been offered, and will want to just go back to my old job.
Original post by 2scotty
Thank you. I do really like my current job. It's just transport was always something I wanted to go into. I'm just worried now, because I do enjoy it at M&S, I won't enjoy it at the job I've been offered, and will want to just go back to my old job.

The thing is, you haven't started the GWR job yet. How do you know you won't enjoy it? Give it a chance!

If things don't turn out how you hoped, you have gained a lot of experience at M&S to get a good retail job at M&S or other shops.
The thing is, you haven't started the GWR job yet. How do you know you won't enjoy it? Give it a chance!

If things don't turn out how you hoped, you have gained a lot of experience at M&S to get a good retail job at M&S or other shops.

That's true. I think I'm just panicking because I've always enjoyed it (other than if it's been short staffed) and I guess as it's my first ever job too, I've grown comfortable with it.

Thank you for all your help (it would't let me give you a second positive rep sorry).
Original post by 2scotty
That's true. I think I'm just panicking because I've always enjoyed it (other than if it's been short staffed) and I guess as it's my first ever job too, I've grown comfortable with it.

Thank you for all your help (it would't let me give you a second positive rep sorry).

No problem! It is a normal thing to do, but once you start something new, most often those worries seem like nothing. Good luck with everything! :smile:
Reply 6
You've been at M&S for at least a year, and in that time you've spent a month as a section co-ordinator? And you've been told that within a year you could be a section manager?

To me that doesnt really sound like very fast progress. It actually sounds quite slow. In that kind of job, a lot of people are only there because thats all they can do or because it suits them and their needs. If youre there with the intention of moving up, you should be able to do so much quicker if youre ambitious. I think youre reading a bit too much in to managers telling you youre doing a good job. Thats what they do.

Its easy to develop a reputation/image of yourself. How do you think your managers see you? As someone who is reliable and willing to work hard and will just keep doing what youre doing? Or someone who they actually plan to advance within the company? If you think they are serious about progressing you, other than tell you that within a year you 'might be a manager' what have they done? Have they sent you on any extra training courses? Have they suggested you spend time in different departments to increase your experience? Go to other stores where vacancies might be available?

Personally I'd be taking the new job and approach it with the attitude of wanting to get promoted as soon as possible. Its up to you to define how people see you. Go in, show ambition and show you want to progress and be seen as that. Rather than someone who is just plodding along without showing ambition.
Original post by josh_v
You've been at M&S for at least a year, and in that time you've spent a month as a section co-ordinator? And you've been told that within a year you could be a section manager?

To me that doesnt really sound like very fast progress. It actually sounds quite slow. In that kind of job, a lot of people are only there because thats all they can do or because it suits them and their needs. If youre there with the intention of moving up, you should be able to do so much quicker if youre ambitious. I think youre reading a bit too much in to managers telling you youre doing a good job. Thats what they do.

Its easy to develop a reputation/image of yourself. How do you think your managers see you? As someone who is reliable and willing to work hard and will just keep doing what youre doing? Or someone who they actually plan to advance within the company? If you think they are serious about progressing you, other than tell you that within a year you 'might be a manager' what have they done? Have they sent you on any extra training courses? Have they suggested you spend time in different departments to increase your experience? Go to other stores where vacancies might be available?

Personally I'd be taking the new job and approach it with the attitude of wanting to get promoted as soon as possible. Its up to you to define how people see you. Go in, show ambition and show you want to progress and be seen as that. Rather than someone who is just plodding along without showing ambition.

That is quick for them. It’s just there aren’t lots of vacancies for managers etc, so they can’t progress people quick. You can’t be doing a supervisor position for a month then suddenly jump to being a manager. It’s totally different.
Reply 8
Original post by 2scotty
That is quick for them. It’s just there aren’t lots of vacancies for managers etc, so they can’t progress people quick. You can’t be doing a supervisor position for a month then suddenly jump to being a manager. It’s totally different.

The point is, if they value you as a supervisor, they find a way to keep you as a supervisor. My experience is companies find it easy to recruit in general, but difficult to recruit strong employees who are willing to put the effort in. Good companies should recognise employees who they think can be future leaders within their business and make efforts to keep hold of them.

When you think about a company that finds it hard to progress people, and for over 1 year recognise they have a decent employee but make no effort to find them a way to progress within the company does that make you think theres a long term successful future on offer?
I'm guessing you're on about £15k-£20k atm. Another £5k, similar chances to progress, better perks and less pressure is a no-brainer.

Original post by josh_v
When you think about a company that finds it hard to progress people, and for over 1 year recognise they have a decent employee but make no effort to find them a way to progress within the company does that make you think theres a long term successful future on offer?

This.
Original post by josh_v
The point is, if they value you as a supervisor, they find a way to keep you as a supervisor. My experience is companies find it easy to recruit in general, but difficult to recruit strong employees who are willing to put the effort in. Good companies should recognise employees who they think can be future leaders within their business and make efforts to keep hold of them.

They are keeping me as a supervisor, but I see what you mean. Everyone else who has progressed, it's taken them a long time too.

I guess they could have always moved me to another store so I could have progressed sooner.
No problem! It is a normal thing to do, but once you start something new, most often those worries seem like nothing. Good luck with everything! :smile:

Original post by josh_v

Original post by JamesN88
I'm guessing you're on about £15k-£20k atm. Another £5k, similar chances to progress, better perks and less pressure is a no-brainer.

This.

Its decision day tomorrow.

I've given my notice in, but my Manager has given me 24 hours to think about it as she doesn't want me to leave.

She said I'm doing a brilliant job at it and everyone is pleased with my progress. She said she doesn't want to get in the way of me wanting to leave, but she said don't let something silly make me want to leave.

What do I do? :frown::frown:
Original post by 2scotty

I've given my notice in, but my Manager has given me 24 hours to think about it as she doesn't want me to leave.

She said I'm doing a brilliant job at it and everyone is pleased with my progress. She said she doesn't want to get in the way of me wanting to leave, but she said don't let something silly make me want to leave.

I don't see why she thinks it is "something silly". This is your life and the choices you make are up to you. From what you said before, the GWR will really suit you and your career interests. If you still are interested, still go for the GWR job.
Original post by 2scotty

Personally from what you have said I would go with the GWR job, more money, less stress, similar or better progression chances etc, you are interested in trying transport.

If the manager valued her best staff that much she would try do something to keep you rather than go 'oh I think you're silly for leaving' especially when transport is something you're interested in. imo it is just her way of trying to plant doubt in your head.

Original post by josh_v

Original post by madmadmax321
Personally from what you have said I would go with the GWR job, more money, less stress, similar or better progression chances etc, you are interested in trying transport.

If the manager valued her best staff that much she would try do something to keep you rather than go 'oh I think you're silly for leaving' especially when transport is something you're interested in. imo it is just her way of trying to plant doubt in your head.

Hey everyone!

Just thought I'd give an update on this. I went over to the new job, and it was one of the best decisions of my life. I wanted to quit at first because it was all new and new people, but I stuck with it. I love the job. I'm so glad I left M&S. M&S are a dreadful company to work for.

My old manager had me in the office for 2 hours saying she'd make me a section manager. She was crying her eyes out. She now tells me that I made the best decision.

Thank you all for your advice :smile:
Original post by 2scotty
Hey everyone!

Just thought I'd give an update on this. I went over to the new job, and it was one of the best decisions of my life. I wanted to quit at first because it was all new and new people, but I stuck with it. I love the job. I'm so glad I left M&S. M&S are a dreadful company to work for.

My old manager had me in the office for 2 hours saying she'd make me a section manager. She was crying her eyes out. She now tells me that I made the best decision.

Thank you all for your advice :smile:

That's good to hear! Sometimes change can be risky and scary, but it can work out for the better if you take that chance, and I am glad you are enjoying your new role. Best of luck with everything! :smile:
That's good to hear! Sometimes change can be risky and scary, but it can work out for the better if you take that chance, and I am glad you are enjoying your new role. Best of luck with everything! :smile:

Thank you! I've since applied to work on the trains as a Conductor! I have my second assessment this week for it! Fingers crossed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending