The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Did I get into Edinburgh just because I am an international student?

Hi,

I recently got an offer from Edinburgh with a condition that I received a 3.0 gpa (3.0 doesn't seem to be that hard). The offer letter also stated:

"This offer is made on the basis that we consider your fee status on the relevant date to be Overseas/International fee rate. If our assessment of your fee status subsequently changes, then your application may be reassessed and your offer may be withdrawn."

The condition coupled with the comment about my fee status led me to believe that I was only really given an offer because they wanted more money. I know it seems absurd, because why would a great university care about an extra 10,000 pounds a year, but why would they even think about revoking my offer if my fee status changed? At the end of the day, do I not still have the same grades and qualifications? So I magically become unqualified or ineligible for the course, even after getting the grades, because I pay less? Hence, I feel like they are just implicitly saying "you are offered a place subject to you give us 19,000 pounds every year." I also got an offer from KCL which wasn't contingent on both fee status and gpa.

I know it doesn't really matter but I was just wondering.
Hiya that is a standard response they give to everyone informing them of their fee status you would have received one with a similar phrasing had you been a Home student as well. I'm classified as a home student and my offers all have had similar clauses.

Basically their offer usually includes the tuition fees they are agreeing too and acceptance of the offer is agreeing to those fees. This is simply a clause that allows them to reassess your tuition upon new information.

Don't worry it's not to say that they only accepted you because you are international it's merely a statement to the fees you will be paying.
(edited 6 years ago)
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by PhilandTheo
Hi,

I recently got an offer from Edinburgh with a condition that I received a 3.0 gpa (3.0 doesn't seem to be that hard). The offer letter also stated:

"This offer is made on the basis that we consider your fee status on the relevant date to be Overseas/International fee rate. If our assessment of your fee status subsequently changes, then your application may be reassessed and your offer may be withdrawn."

The condition coupled with the comment about my fee status led me to believe that I was only really given an offer because they wanted more money. I know it seems absurd, because why would a great university care about an extra 10,000 pounds a year, but why would they even think about revoking my offer if my fee status changed? At the end of the day, do I not still have the same grades and qualifications? So I magically become unqualified or ineligible for the course, even after getting the grades, because I pay less? Hence, I feel like they are just implicitly saying "you are offered a place subject to you give us 19,000 pounds every year." I also got an offer from KCL which wasn't contingent on both fee status and gpa.

Are you applying from High school or university? I am an American Applicant as well and this issue of getting in on easy condition worries me!
Reply 3
You usually pay (much!) more in fees so despite what people will tell you, it is a factor, yes.
Reply 4
Original post by PhilandTheo
Hi,

It's also because they have a capped limit of places for Scottish resident (or EU) students due to the funding regime in Scotland (i.e. free tuition for those students). So your fee status is important.
Original post by Doonesbury
It's also because they have a capped limit of places for Scottish resident (or EU) students due to the funding regime in Scotland (i.e. free tuition for those students). So your fee status is important.

Do you think that Edinburgh are then allowing internationals who may not be prepared for the course allowed entry?
Reply 6
Original post by ALEXJOYCE9622
Do you think that Edinburgh are then allowing internationals who may not be prepared for the course allowed entry?

No.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh good! I was getting worried that I got an undeserved place in the law program.
Reply 8
Oh good! I was getting worried that I got an undeserved place in the law program.

If you were underqualified then you'd be likely to fail the course and dropout. That's a waste of their time and your money, and indeed a cost to them for the subsequent years fee income they would not receive.

They must consider you a realistic candidate.
If you were underqualified then you'd be likely to fail the course and dropout. That's a waste of their time and your money, and indeed a cost to them for the subsequent years fee income they would not receive.

They must consider you a realistic candidate.

The only requirements for my course were a 2:1 degree, a strong personal statement, and any academic reference. All of which I have... or at least I think I have, I'm not sure how "strong" my personal statement is.
Reply 10
The only requirements for my course were a 2:1 degree, a strong personal statement, and any academic reference. All of which I have... or at least I think I have, I'm not sure how "strong" my personal statement is.

Wait, so this is postgrad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Money talks.
Wait, so this is postgrad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

it's called a "graduate llb" which is basically an accelerated course where you start in third year. You have to have a BA in a non law subject.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
it's called a "graduate llb" which is basically an accelerated course where you start in third year. You have to have a BA in a non law subject.

Ok, it has undergrad fees so my comment still applies. And if you have a 2:1 then great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending