The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Fluoxetine

Hi, I've been on this for about two weeks and I see no improvement, my mood is up and down. does anyone have experience with this drug?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Fluoxetine is one of the most commonly prescribed antidepressants, I'm assuming you're taking 20mg each day?
It can often take a longer than 2 weeks for the drugs to start to make a difference, keep going with them for a while longer and if they're still not working then go back to your Dr and have them change it. If you go back to them now they'll probably give you the same advice.
Original post by study beats
stop taking it and control yourself

Please do not post dangerous "advice" such as this. It is irresponsible to tell a person to stop taking a drug that has been prescribed to them by their doctor, regardless of your feelings towards antidepressants.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you, ignore that stupid troll I have already reported that idiot. have you used fluoxetine yourself, I'm getting along of dizzy which was not a symptom before.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you, ignore that stupid troll I have already reported that idiot. have you used fluoxetine yourself, I'm getting along of dizzy which was not a symptom before.

Dizziness is a possible side effect of fluoxetine but should hopefully wear off in time as your body gets used to it.
Reply 5
Original post by Sabertooth
Dizziness is a possible side effect of fluoxetine but should hopefully wear off in time as your body gets used to it.

I'm worried it's not going to work, have you taken this drug?
Reply 6
I seriously doubt I have serotonin syndrome as I am taking less of the dose recommend by the doctor 15mg, doctor wants me to take 20mg, and why do you rarely prescribe this drug?
I'm worried it's not going to work, have you taken this drug?

I have yes. However, I had a very bad reaction to fluoxetine and had to quit taking it after 4 days but on other SSRIs (the class of which fluoxetine is a member) I got headaches, nausea, dizziness, and vivid dreams all of which faded as my body got used to the drug. I currently take a different antidepressant and no longer have any depressive symptoms. My mood is pretty great generally. They work differently for different people; a drug that works for one person may not work for another. As ecolier said, these meds take a while to kick in so try not to stress about it just yet - take care of yourself and tell your doctor about the side effects but, tbh from my experience, I'd say just to wait and see what happens.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
What's the success rate of the patients who do well on this drug, to the ones have prescribed it too?
Reply 9
I have yes. However, I had a very bad reaction to fluoxetine and had to quit taking it after 4 days but on other SSRIs (the class of which fluoxetine is a member) I got headaches, nausea, dizziness, and vivid dreams all of which faded as my body got used to the drug. I currently take a different antidepressant and no longer have any depressive symptoms. My mood is pretty great generally. They work differently for different people; a drug that works for one person may not work for another. As ecolier said, these meds take a while to kick in so try not to stress about it just yet - take care of yourself and tell your doctor about the side effects but, tbh from my experience, I'd say just to wait and see what happens.

What one are you on now? what was your dose starting fluoxetine? did you have allergic reaction?
What one are you on now? what was your dose starting fluoxetine? did you have allergic reaction?

It was a while back but I'm fairly sure it was just the 20mg starting dose. I got really bad flu-like symptoms, it wasn't an allergic reaction but I felt like I was going to die:

Spoiler

So yeah, you get dizziness, I felt like I was dying :tongue: Different effects on different people.

PM me and I'll tell you what I currently take, but I'd prefer not to say on the forum.
It was a while back but I'm fairly sure it was just the 20mg starting dose. I got really bad flu-like symptoms, it wasn't an allergic reaction but I felt like I was going to die:

Spoiler

So yeah, you get dizziness, I felt like I was dying :tongue: Different effects on different people.

PM me and I'll tell you what I currently take, but I'd prefer not to say on the forum.

Sent you a pm
Original post by georgem93
Fluoxetine is one of the most commonly prescribed antidepressants, I'm assuming you're taking 20mg each day?
It can often take a longer than 2 weeks for the drugs to start to make a difference, keep going with them for a while longer and if they're still not working then go back to your Dr and have them change it. If you go back to them now they'll probably give you the same advice.

Have you taken this?
Hi, I've been on this for about two weeks and I see no improvement, my mood is up and down. does anyone have experience with this drug?

I've been taking 30mg for over a year now and it doesn't solve the problem, however, I do think it gave me the energy to try some of the techniques my psych was suggesting. Motivation is key and it's also a massive problem for people that are suffering, so stick it out and try to remember why you want to get better (people you love, aspirations, dogs, etc.) Good luck!
Reply 14
Have you taken this?

No, I’ve worked in pharmacy for 6 years.
No, I’ve worked in pharmacy for 6 years.

Does it work for majority of people?
Reply 16
Does it work for majority of people?

The amount of prescriptions we fulfill for it would suggest that it has some benefit to patients :smile:
I took fluoxetine for about 3 years in my late teens/early 20s and it really benefited me. The side effects were horrendous at first - dizziness, dissociation, loss of appetite, lack of sleep, headaches and feeling sick, although they subsided after 2 or 3 weeks. I was started on 10mg as I was suicidal and at high risk, then increased to 20mg and increased again to 40mg. The important thing to remember is that all drugs work differently for all people, just because fluoxetine has helped me, it doesn't mean every other person with depression will also benefit from taking it. Vice versa with other anti-depressants - someone could find another medication works wonders for them but it could have no affect on me whatsoever.
The amount of prescriptions we fulfill for it would suggest that it has some benefit to patients :smile:

Thanks
Original post by bones-mccoy
I took fluoxetine for about 3 years in my late teens/early 20s and it really benefited me. The side effects were hhorrendous at first - dizziness, dissociation, loss of appetite, lack of sleep, headaches and feeling sick, although they subsided after 2 or 3 weeks. I was started on 10mg as I was suicidal and at high risk, then increased to 20mg and increased again to 40mg. The important thing to remember is that all drugs work differently for all people, just because fluoxetine has helped me, it doesn't mean every other person with depression will also benefit from taking it. Vice versa with other anti-depressants - someone could find another medication works wonders for them but it could have no affect on me whatsoever.

Yeah, I'm having a hard time,my heart is racing and I am just sitting down, I have dissociation (if that means feeling like in a dream state), dry mouth, agitation, was it worth it, and how was coming Off them, are you taking anything now?

Latest