The Student Room Group

Is it still possible to sit the old A level maths exams?

I'm wondering if it is still possible to sit the old a level maths papers for aqa, c1-4 as well as the other units.
Original post by smooo
I'm wondering if it is still possible to sit the old a level maths papers for aqa, c1-4 as well as the other units.

Unfortunately not :frown:
Reply 2
Only as a re-sit.
Original post by alleycat393

Original post by Compost
Only as a re-sit.

I'm confused. In Summer 2018 current year 13 students will complete their A2 maths exams using the outgoing specification and my understanding was that all AS and A2 units would be available for anyone to enter for the first time or as a resit. Summer 2019 exams in the old specification are restricted to resits only.
Original post by gdunne42
I'm confused. In Summer 2018 current year 13 students will complete their A2 maths exams using the outgoing specification and my understanding was that all AS and A2 units would be available for anyone to enter for the first time or as a resit. Summer 2019 exams in the old specification are restricted to resits only.

If you’ve started with the new system you cannot go through the old one. If you need to resist the exam after having done it through the old system the first time then you’ll be fine.
only a2 units
If you’ve started with the new system you cannot go through the old one. If you need to resist the exam after having done it through the old system the first time then you’ll be fine.

I understand that current year 12 are studying the new specfication content and won't be entered for the old exams by their school/college. My point (to the OP question) is that I think that is anyone can still be entered for any of the old specification exams for resits or for the first time as a private candidate if they can find a centre to accept them..
(edited 6 years ago)

im sure you can do the full a level old spec this year though and resit a2 units in summer 19 which is the last one??
Original post by uchihaitachi0023
only a2 units

The AS and A2 exams show in the summer 2018 timetable
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/admin/t_table_pdf/AQA-TT-GCE-JUN18-CONFIRMED.PDF
The AS and A2 exams show in the summer 2018 timetable
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/admin/t_table_pdf/AQA-TT-GCE-JUN18-CONFIRMED.PDF

pretty sure you can still do AS AND A2 old spec this year however if your starting a level maths this year you would need to do new spec or have to do maths full a level this year cos you can only resit in 2019 which is the last time
Original post by smooo

I think 2018 exams will be the last year of the old exams (not sure if all units are available or just A2 units). I think the exams will still be available for resits though.
Original post by smooo

Yes it is possible, however the last opportunity to do so is in June 2018, with retakes only in 2019. Technically you can take either the old spec or the new spec in full in 2018, but most taking the whole A level will be doing the new specification, as generally taking the whole in thing in one year at this stage means they will be moving on to the new specification further maths next year.

With those 'titles' of yours, you really should know better.

@OP, as stated above (I'm glad someone knows what they're talking about), all old spec exams (C1-C4 + applied modules) will be available to sit for the last time in summer 2018 with exams only for those retaking in summer 2019.
Original post by 8radley
With those 'titles' of yours, you really should know better.

@OP, as stated above (I'm glad someone knows what they're talking about), all old spec exams (C1-C4 + applied modules) will be available to sit for the last time in summer 2018 with exams only for those retaking in summer 2019.

It’s lovely seeing the community come together to help each other and jumping down the throat of someone ‘with titles’ trying to help :smile: Like it or not we do receive training with these things you know. I said if you have started on the new system you can’t go back and if you’ve started on the old one you can and to resit. No you cannot pick and choose certain modules like the OP was originally suggesting. Maybe next time look past the titles for context? Good luck!
It’s lovely seeing the community come together to help each other and jumping down the throat of someone ‘with titles’ trying to help :smile: Like it or not we do receive training with these things you know. I said if you have started on the new system you can’t go back and if you’ve started on the old one you can and to resit. No you cannot pick and choose certain modules like the OP was originally suggesting. Maybe next time look past the titles for context? Good luck!

Usually helping people involves giving them correct information. Nice of you to patronize, quite hypocritical actually.
I understand we're all trying to help but I don't see why one would give explicit statements without (evidently) not even knowing.

OP directly asked if it was possible to sit the old spec exams, your response was "unfortunately not" which is merely false.

You're actually also wrong saying that. It's irrelevant if one has started on X or Y spec, how do you know that someone might initially learn the new spec but then decide to be entered for the old spec exams? :beer:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 8radley
Usually helping people involves giving them correct information. Nice of you to patronize, quite hypocritical actually.
I understand we're all trying to help but I don't see why one would give explicit statements without (evidently) not even knowing.

OP directly asked if it was possible to sit the old spec exams, your response was "unfortunately not" which is merely false.

You're actually also wrong saying that. It's irrelevant if one has started on X or Y spec, how do you know that someone might initially learn the new spec but then decide to be entered for the old spec exams? :beer:

Oh dear! You do seem to have got yourself in a knot over this. Like I said before context is key. The titles help us to stand out so people know who we are and we do receive training. If you have further queries please take them to AtCT :smile:
Oh dear! You do seem to have got yourself in a knot over this. Like I said before context is key. The titles help us to stand out so people know who we are and we do receive training. If you have further queries please take them to AtCT :smile:

Completely irrelevant but ok!

It's all a bit of a grey area - the transition's been a bit messy for all subjects but worse for Maths because of FM. The new Maths A level is available so there is little reason to be allowed to start taking the old. My understanding is that those taking AS Maths A level for the first time ought to be taking the new spec unless there is a good reason why not (e.g. entered for old spec last year but missed exams through illness or someone wanting to take the whole of Maths and Further Maths A level in 2018 as FM A level is not available for new spec this year). The exam boards may refuse to accept entries to those without a good reason - hence centres may well not accept external entries as they don't want the hassle of debating the legality of the reason.
Original post by Compost
It's all a bit of a grey area - the transition's been a bit messy for all subjects but worse for Maths because of FM. The new Maths A level is available so there is little reason to be allowed to start taking the old. My understanding is that those taking AS Maths A level for the first time ought to be taking the new spec unless there is a good reason why not (e.g. entered for old spec last year but missed exams through illness or someone wanting to take the whole of Maths and Further Maths A level in 2018 as FM A level is not available for new spec this year). The exam boards may refuse to accept entries to those without a good reason - hence centres may well not accept external entries as they don't want the hassle of debating the legality of the reason.

Thanks Compost, really useful clarification of the transition issues.

Quick Reply

Latest