The Student Room Group

New bank holiday for under 25s?

There have been calls for a new bank holiday to celebrate under 25s. The day International Youth Day, on 13th August 2018, aims to celebrate young people's achievements, their potential and contributions to society.

They aim to get 100,000 signatures so it will be discussed in Parliament.

You can read more on the story here.

What do you make of this? Do you think we should have a bank holiday to celebrate under 25s? What would you like to make a bank holiday?

Scroll to see replies

Not going to lie, I think this is really silly and that there's not much point to it.
Reply 2
Original post by Danny Dorito
There have been calls for a new bank holiday to celebrate under 25s. The day International Youth Day, on 13th August 2018, aims to celebrate young people's achievements, their potential and contributions to society.

What do you make of this? Do you think we should have a bank holiday to celebrate under 25s? What would you like to make a bank holiday?

But there'll be alot of U25s who already have that date off since they'll be studying at uni. Seems relatively pointless to me.
This sounds like a ploy from the lazy youth to get more days off of work
Reply 4

The Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR) estimates the cost of each bank holiday to be £2.3bn, though the think-tank admitted it was "difficult to calculate".

So, no.
No I don't think so. That day should be recognised as Left Handers Day instead.
Reply 6
Wait, what? :lol: How pointless.
Stupid idea, Why not a bank holiday for over 80s, to recognise their contribution to society and this country ?
(edited 6 years ago)
Plus, I hate bank holidays anyway. Everything is shut and it sucks. Nooooo thank you!
Reply 9
The day should be given to everyone then people would be thanking under 25s for an extra day off and would appreciate them more!
Original post by Hazzer1998
Stupid idea, Why not a bank holiday for over 80s, to recognise their contribution to society and this country ?

Don't they have every day off anyway? Retirement, and all that. Probably won't mean much to them.
Original post by Paracosm
Not going to lie, I think this is really silly and that there's not much point to it.

Agreed 100%. Especially since the day they propose is very close to an existing Bank Holiday (26/27/28 Aug 2017 - August Bank Holiday; adjust the dates for the 2018 bank holiday).

A new Bank Holiday should be (a) for good reason and (b) not close to an existing Bank Holiday.
Reply 12
I mean... I wouldn't mind an extra day off...
Original post by DrawTheLine
No I don't think so. That day should be recognised as Left Handers Day instead.

:awesome:
Presumably quite a clever marketing campaign from 'The Mix' -- try to say something so silly that the entire internet talks about how silly it is.
Jeremy Corbyn wants more Bank holidays - so on that basis it must be a bad idea.

WhatEVER
Reply 17
Person 1: "So what could we do to celebrate youths, and highlight their potential and achievements in society?"
Person 2: "Have a day off"
Person 1: "lol sounds gud""
looooool, look at all these old people getting triggered.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Under 21s already have summer and other days of.

I think Japan need this as people in that country work too much, but no the UK

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending