The Student Room Group

Proving residency after gap year

My son had a Uni place for 23-24, had funding approved and then deferred in June to 24-25, deciding to do a gap year working in Australia and travelling in Asia. He got the grades needed and has accepted the place for 24-25. I assume that as this is quite a common situation, not having been in the UK for the full three years before first day of course is not an issue but what if any evidence will he need to show the absence was temporary? He doesn't have a working holiday visa as he is a dual citizen but has lived in UK for most of his life and continuously since end 2014. Thank you
Original post by PJC_D
My son had a Uni place for 23-24, had funding approved and then deferred in June to 24-25, deciding to do a gap year working in Australia and travelling in Asia. He got the grades needed and has accepted the place for 24-25. I assume that as this is quite a common situation, not having been in the UK for the full three years before first day of course is not an issue but what if any evidence will he need to show the absence was temporary? He doesn't have a working holiday visa as he is a dual citizen but has lived in UK for most of his life and continuously since end 2014. Thank you

Hi PJC_D,

This would need to be reviewed on a case by case basis. It would be best for him to explain the circumstances in a cover letter and also explain why temporary evidence is not available. If he attended then suspended, he would be a returning student which usually means the eligibility has been confirmed, however it is best collating evidence or a cover letter just in case this is requested from our assessors.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 2
Thanks Clare - he didn't attend, he had the place to start in Sept 23 and deferred to Sept 24 so didn't start the course. But he had had finance approved for 2023/24. What kind of evidence would prove his absence was temporary?
Original post by PJC_D
Thanks Clare - he didn't attend, he had the place to start in Sept 23 and deferred to Sept 24 so didn't start the course. But he had had finance approved for 2023/24. What kind of evidence would prove his absence was temporary?

Hi PJC_D,

We can accept temporary visas, evidence of temporary work/accommodation, pre booked return flights etc, we can also accept evidence that shows the student maintained a link to the UK such as bank statements showing transactions still being made for bills etc or permanent UK accommodation in the students name etc. As advised, it is on a case by case basis, so any evidence available that they think shows they were only away temporarily along with a cover letter to explain the situation/arrangement.

https://logon.slc.co.uk/cas/login

Thanks, Clare
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi PJC_D,

We can accept temporary visas, evidence of temporary work/accommodation, pre booked return flights etc, we can also accept evidence that shows the student maintained a link to the UK such as bank statements showing transactions still being made for bills etc or permanent UK accommodation in the students name etc. As advised, it is on a case by case basis, so any evidence available that they think shows they were only away temporarily along with a cover letter to explain the situation/arrangement.

https://logon.slc.co.uk/cas/login

Thanks, Clare

Thanks again Clare. My original question was because he doesn't have a temporary visa as he is a dual citizen (and working holiday visas are not offered to Australian citizens). He hasn't booked his return flight yet as will be travelling in Asia before he returns and as has been living at home in the UK doesn't have accommodation in his name. He does have a bank account but there won't be many outgoings while he is overseas. Wouldn't the fact that he has already accepted a deferred place at Uni count?
Original post by PJC_D
Thanks again Clare. My original question was because he doesn't have a temporary visa as he is a dual citizen (and working holiday visas are not offered to Australian citizens). He hasn't booked his return flight yet as will be travelling in Asia before he returns and as has been living at home in the UK doesn't have accommodation in his name. He does have a bank account but there won't be many outgoings while he is overseas. Wouldn't the fact that he has already accepted a deferred place at Uni count?

Not if he's been out the country for the year. The assessors would require evidence regarding the temporary break it's longer than 6 months. As Clare advised if he uploads a cover letter to his account (when he applies next spring) along with any evidence he has that may be relevant, if he doesn't have the evidence previously requested. Thanks, Jason
Reply 6
Original post by SFE Jason
Not if he's been out the country for the year. The assessors would require evidence regarding the temporary break it's longer than 6 months. As Clare advised if he uploads a cover letter to his account (when he applies next spring) along with any evidence he has that may be relevant, if he doesn't have the evidence previously requested. Thanks, Jason

Thanks Jason, appreciate the quick response. Just one final thing; my understanding of the eligibility guidance is that it is all about the student - our residence as parents doesn't come into it. Why then does the SFE application form ask about parent residence (section 3, b4)?
Original post by PJC_D
Thanks Jason, appreciate the quick response. Just one final thing; my understanding of the eligibility guidance is that it is all about the student - our residence as parents doesn't come into it. Why then does the SFE application form ask about parent residence (section 3, b4)?

That section is only relevant if a UK national is living outside of the UK due to parents residency (parents working abroad). As it's not relevant you can ignore that section. Thanks, Jason
Reply 8
Original post by SFE Jason
That section is only relevant if a UK national is living outside of the UK due to parents residency (parents working abroad). As it's not relevant you can ignore that section. Thanks, Jason

Thank you
Original post by PJC_D
Thank you

You're welcome. Any further questions at anytime then do let us know. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending