The Student Room Group

Stratchclyde/Loughborough/Bristol/Leeds

I've got an offer from these universities

Stratchclyde - MSc Finance and Management
Loughborough - MSc Management
Bristol - MSc Management
Leeds - MSc Management

I can’t decide because I've never been to the UK before. I don’t know much about the cities e.g. people, crime, weather. I want to go to Loughborough but not many Thai people study there (I'm Thai) that's what I'm a bit concerned. Could you please give me some advice?

Thank you
Original post by Pin_Tunnicha
I've got an offer from these universities

Stratchclyde - MSc Finance and Management
Loughborough - MSc Management
Bristol - MSc Management
Leeds - MSc Management

I can’t decide because I've never been to the UK before. I don’t know much about the cities e.g. people, crime, weather. I want to go to Loughborough but not many Thai people study there (I'm Thai) that's what I'm a bit concerned. Could you please give me some advice?

Thank you

I went to an open day at Loughborough and it’s very much sports-focused! So if you’re active and willing to join a team then I’m sure you’d have a great time and wouldn’t worry about being accepted.

At any university there will be other foreign students so you certainly shouldn’t feel alone. My university (De Montfort) makes the effort to run gatherings for foreign students to make them feel more at home in the UK. Whatever you need to help you settle in, your students union will be there to support you!

In terms of weather, Strathclyde is most likely to see snow, Leeds might get a sprinkle, but Loughborough and Bristol are probably more likely to just get a covering of frost in winter. Bristol will be the warmest with it being further south. I live in Leicester and temperatures can vary from 30 degrees centigrade in the summer, to around -10 degrees centigrade in winter (overnight). Bristol is probably between 2-5 degrees warmer, and Strathclyde is probably 5-10 degrees cooler all year around. You will get rain and sunshine wherever you go!

Culture can vary a little around the UK. Usually, the further south you go, the less talkative people are. A more rural area might have more friendly people who will chat to you on the bus or train, but a more built up city (particularly London) will have much less conversation. I find that in a city even though I’m surrounded by more people, I feel more lonely because everyone keeps to themselves. I believe Loughborough university has its own campus outside of the city, so I would have thought people would be more friendly than in a city like Bristol or Leeds.
Are you used to living in a city? If so then a city campus might make you feel more at home.

Hopefully that’s given you more to think about. Sorry if I’ve just confused you!
I have been living in a big city for my whole life! so I try to avoid crowed places with high cost of living. Thank you sooooo much for your helpful information! :h:

Original post by carrotstar
I went to an open day at Loughborough and it’s very much sports-focused! So if you’re active and willing to join a team then I’m sure you’d have a great time and wouldn’t worry about being accepted.

At any university there will be other foreign students so you certainly shouldn’t feel alone. My university (De Montfort) makes the effort to run gatherings for foreign students to make them feel more at home in the UK. Whatever you need to help you settle in, your students union will be there to support you!

In terms of weather, Strathclyde is most likely to see snow, Leeds might get a sprinkle, but Loughborough and Bristol are probably more likely to just get a covering of frost in winter. Bristol will be the warmest with it being further south. I live in Leicester and temperatures can vary from 30 degrees centigrade in the summer, to around -10 degrees centigrade in winter (overnight). Bristol is probably between 2-5 degrees warmer, and Strathclyde is probably 5-10 degrees cooler all year around. You will get rain and sunshine wherever you go!

Culture can vary a little around the UK. Usually, the further south you go, the less talkative people are. A more rural area might have more friendly people who will chat to you on the bus or train, but a more built up city (particularly London) will have much less conversation. I find that in a city even though I’m surrounded by more people, I feel more lonely because everyone keeps to themselves. I believe Loughborough university has its own campus outside of the city, so I would have thought people would be more friendly than in a city like Bristol or Leeds.
Are you used to living in a city? If so then a city campus might make you feel more at home.

Hopefully that’s given you more to think about. Sorry if I’ve just confused you!
1) Look at the differences between the courses. What optional units are on offer, and which would you actually choose?

2) Look for any films on You Tube for each University. This will show what each one looks like and an idea of what the city is like.
(Here is one for Bristol : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skYuG7xQbC8 and for Leeds : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_guiPT5tebk)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending