The Student Room Group

Personal Statement

Having problems with my PS here.. I'm applying for two courses to the same university but I'm confused on how to write the PS (only one PS allowed).. can anyone give me tips on how to write a PS that works for both science and engineering?
It really depends how closely connected they are : what are the courses?

You generally have to talk about your interest in the field so that isn’t a problem, but two small paragraphs about each of the courses in particular and a sentence about why you are applying to both
Original post by Jenblankz
Having problems with my PS here.. I'm applying for two courses to the same university but I'm confused on how to write the PS (only one PS allowed).. can anyone give me tips on how to write a PS that works for both science and engineering?

You're going to have to decide at one point what course you want to choose. It's probably better to make this decision before you apply to university so that you can produce a better personal statement and apply to more choices for that course, rather than trying to construct one that applies to different courses.

Generally for engineering they're much more interested in the grades than the personal statement, but I'm not sure how much that still applies to those who write a personal statement for another subject as well.
Reply 3
Original post by Smack
You're going to have to decide at one point what course you want to choose. It's probably better to make this decision before you apply to university so that you can produce a better personal statement and apply to more choices for that course, rather than trying to construct one that applies to different courses.

Generally for engineering they're much more interested in the grades than the personal statement, but I'm not sure how much that still applies to those who write a personal statement for another subject as well.

The university allows 3 choices in one application.. I chose:
1. Engineering science
2. Engineering
3. Science

I emailed the university to ask them about the personal statement and they said that the personal statement must explain why I'm fit for all the courses. It's just so confusing :frown::frown:
Reply 4
Original post by meeravirdee
It really depends how closely connected they are : what are the courses?

You generally have to talk about your interest in the field so that isn’t a problem, but two small paragraphs about each of the courses in particular and a sentence about why you are applying to both

The courses are: Engineering Science, Engineering and science. I guess they're kind of related.. but it's hard to write the personal statement because I don't think science and engineering is quite the same?

I tried writing but the statement wasn't that good. The university said that I must convince them why I fit to all the courses in one personal statement, which is quite hard. I'm scared my statements will contradict each other?? Like.. in one paragraph I'll say that I'm interested in engineering and in the next I will say that I am interested in science??
1. Engineering science
2. Engineering
3. Science

I emailed the university to ask them about the personal statement and they said that the personal statement must explain why I'm fit for all the courses. It's just so confusing :frown::frown:

Yes, and that's why it's better to choose a course now so you can write a more focused PS.
The courses are: Engineering Science, Engineering and science. I guess they're kind of related.. but it's hard to write the personal statement because I don't think science and engineering is quite the same?

I tried writing but the statement wasn't that good. The university said that I must convince them why I fit to all the courses in one personal statement, which is quite hard. I'm scared my statements will contradict each other?? Like.. in one paragraph I'll say that I'm interested in engineering and in the next I will say that I am interested in science??

When I wrote my ps I didn’t even write mostly on why I’m a fit for the course I applied for (Chem). I wrote about what I did to *show* that I was a fit. I wrote about the research I did, articles I read, presentations I’ve given, how I can even relate the subject it to my hobbies eg if you like rollercoasters you could talk about engineering them and pushing boundaries for the most exhilarating experience.
By showing what you’ve done, you are saying the course is right for you by default.

Also, qualities like perseverance, being studious, zealous, inquisitive are great emotive words for explaining how you would make a great engineering student.
Reply 7
1. Engineering science
2. Engineering
3. Science

Are you applying via UCAS to a UK university?

Which of those 3 options do you prefer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest