The Student Room Group

Nottingham vet school?

Hi I can't decide whether it's better to apply for the 5 year course or the 6 year Gateway. I'm predicted AAA but i don't think I'll be able to achieve this. do you know what the A Level requirements are through the Flexible admissions policy?
Definitely apply for the 5 year. Its less competitive than gateway. Nottingham may move you to the gateway at clearing if you had a place for the 5 year but don't get the grades and meet the widening participation criteria for the gateway. At interview they may lower your grades in line with the flexible admissions policy. However what they will lower you to is not listed and depends on your circumstances it is still vet med, which is highly competitive so don't expect BBB offers!. (http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/applying/ourpolicies.aspx). If you are still unsure, might be worth giving them a call
Still work hard to get the AAA! its possible!
I think you should apply for the 5 year course. The standard Nottingham offer is AAB (As in Biology and Chemistry) so it doesn't matter if you slip up a bit on your third subject. Also, Nottingham seem to be much less strict on grades in general and more focused on you as a person then other vet schools. I was offered AAB, but I ended up getting A*BB at A level, but they still let me in even with a B in Chemistry. Also, I know some people on the course currently who got BBB at A level and still got in. So if you do really well at interview and all the other stages, you could still get let in even with not very good grades.
Hey guys!

I am an international student from Canada and I've just applied to the Preliminary course. Do you know if the Preliminary is as competitive as the Gateway? Also, if you apply to gateway, but end up with high enough grades for the 5 year program, will they move you to 5 year if you are accepted? Thanks!
Original post by J.French
I would say that Prelim is as competitive as Gateway, Gateway only has 5 places but it has a much smaller pool of applicants as it is only open to UK students who have disadvantaging circumstances. Prelim has 20 places but is open to a wider pool of applicants. I don't know whether you can be moved to the 5 year program from Gateway if you get better grades than expected, Nottingham seem to be very flexible so possibly yes, but as a Canadian applicant you wouldn't qualify for Gateway anyway.

My son has just started Prelim year - he did the French baccalaureate. He applied for the 5 year course but admissions felt that as the French bac does not include sciences to the same level as A levels it would be beneficial to do the extra year. At first he was a little disappointed to be doing the preliminary year but having started it, he is now really happy and realises that it will help him a lot when he starts in year 1 next year. He absolutely loves Nottingham by the way.

That's good to hear that he enjoys Nottingham! And yes I agree, the extra year will only help him in the long run :smile:
In some cases, if you choose to do an EPQ, and receive a good grade in it, some universities will lower the grades that they require from you. Still try for that AAA though!
Original post by Laurenpaige1212
In some cases, if you choose to do an EPQ, and receive a good grade in it, some universities will lower the grades that they require from you. Still try for that AAA though!

Whoever told you that is dreaming. EPQ isn't a requirement nor particularly interesting to vet schools versus offer grades
Original post by Angry cucumber
Whoever told you that is dreaming. EPQ isn't a requirement nor particularly interesting to vet schools versus offer grades
The person who told me this is a university administrator- the people who decide who gets into uni, it’s not a requirement but it is a point of interest at interview and there have been cases of students with an A at EPQ who’s requirements were lowered, specifically at Nottingham were lowered from AAB to ABB because of the EPQ grade, and other aspects such as a good interview of course
Original post by M12S
Hi I can't decide whether it's better to apply for the 5 year course or the 6 year Gateway. I'm predicted AAA but i don't think I'll be able to achieve this. do you know what the A Level requirements are through the Flexible admissions policy?

I had this discussion with the head of Admissions at the Nottingham open day. She said to me that I should apply for the 5 year course and if my circumstances qualify me for gateway (mine do) then at interview they consider you for both 5 year and gateway and offer you which they think it best for you.

The 5 year standard offer is AAB and gateway is BBC. I know they have flexible admissions but not sure what they are :smile:
You can also apply for both, I know people who received offers for both so put 5 year as their firm and gateway as their insurance :smile:
a year late but did you have to call them to get in on those grades? I'm predicted A*A*B, with the B in chem... results day 2 days away literallt ******** myself :frown:
Original post by Usagisama68
I think you should apply for the 5 year course. The standard Nottingham offer is AAB (As in Biology and Chemistry) so it doesn't matter if you slip up a bit on your third subject. Also, Nottingham seem to be much less strict on grades in general and more focused on you as a person then other vet schools. I was offered AAB, but I ended up getting A*BB at A level, but they still let me in even with a B in Chemistry. Also, I know some people on the course currently who got BBB at A level and still got in. So if you do really well at interview and all the other stages, you could still get let in even with not very good grades.
Original post by blossomhibbert99
a year late but did you have to call them to get in on those grades? I'm predicted A*A*B, with the B in chem... results day 2 days away literallt ******** myself :frown:

I'm sorry I didn't reply in time, I don't go on student room often so didn't get the notification. I hope all went well for you on results day!
Anyone know how strict nottingham are with conditional grades? I'm Irish and they would like me to get 6 H2s in 6 different subjects , but i think I'll be just short.
Original post by Nottingham2004
Anyone know how strict nottingham are with conditional grades? I'm Irish and they would like me to get 6 H2s in 6 different subjects , but i think I'll be just short.

This is purely anecdotal and no one knows for sure except the university, however...

For almost all vet schools you will most likely lose your place if you don't achieve the grades so aim to do the best you possibly can. This is just due to the course being so competitive and so many people with amazing grades apply.
I am a Notts student and currently aware of some people not meeting their offers, but being offered alternative entry such as via the 6 year course. This is not common because the 6 year course is arguably more competitive - has more applications per place than the 5 year course. Also, the April entry cohort sometimes enters clearing so it might be possible to get in this way. Again, this can't be guaranteed.
If you have an offer for the 6 year course and do not end up meeting the grades, it is probably unlikely that you will still a place, however I don't know for sure.

Just try your best and I'm sure it'll all work out. If it doesn't there are always alternative routes into vet school so you needn't give up. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending