The Student Room Group

Scientists say time is running out for humans

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd like to think that something might come of this, but I doubt it. Greed is king, and governments never care about the long term. As far as the UK's "greenest government ever" is concerned, I'd be amazed if they even acknowledged this letter's existence. They're too busy stripping away the environment for profit to give a damn about saving the Earth.
Reply 2
Original post by Dez
I'd like to think that something might come of this, but I doubt it. Greed is king, and governments never care about the long term. As far as the UK's "greenest government ever" is concerned, I'd be amazed if they even acknowledged this letter's existence. They're too busy stripping away the environment for profit to give a damn about saving the Earth.

People complain about the environment but here in the UK we are still seeing a move to renewable continuing (29.8%). I personally think that's pretty good since Germany is only at 35%.

It's also worth saying that the UK is at less risk than other countries from these threats. The Africans may starve but we won't.
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
Stop trying to make me feel bad, I am doing my best to save the planet!

I only eat organic, I tweet and FB all the time about environmentalism, and I spent my gap year going all around the world lecturing people about their carbon footprints.

#green #saveThePlanet #capitalismIsTheProblem

Sent from my iPhone

So your a hypocrite than you go around world on planes lecturing people on their carbon footprint when your carbon footprint is higher than there.

Your like a gap year students who travel the world on planes with a high carbon footprint and go on about Eco tourism and how their worried the environment.
Reply 4
Original post by looloo2134
So your a hypocrite than you go around world on planes lecturing people on their carbon footprint when your carbon footprint is higher than there.

Your like a gap year students who travel the world on planes with a high carbon footprint and go on about Eco tourism and how their worried the environment.

I don’t think he’s being serious mate
we should be fine, by 2100 everyone will be vegan and everything electric, we will colonize parts of africa to make do of our population
Reply 6
It's for the best.
Reply 7
Original post by Rakas21
People complain about the environment but here in the UK we are still seeing a move to renewable continuing (29.8%). I personally think that's pretty good since Germany is only at 35%.

I think the government could be doing a lot more to move towards renewable and low-pollution energy, but on top of that there are many other concerns as the letter points out: deforestation, environmental pollution, and so on. And even if we're not doing these things ourselves, the UK is still buying products from the companies who do.

Original post by Rakas21
It's also worth saying that the UK is at less risk than other countries from these threats. The Africans may starve but we won't.

Climate refugeeism is going to be the biggest threat to western countries like the UK I think (at least in the beginning). If you think the Syrian crisis is bad, wait until half the globe's arable land becomes uninhabitable. It's going to be absolute chaos.
Reply 8
Original post by Dez
I think the government could be doing a lot more to move towards renewable and low-pollution energy, but on top of that there are many other concerns as the letter points out: deforestation, environmental pollution, and so on. And even if we're not doing these things ourselves, the UK is still buying products from the companies who do.

Climate refugeeism is going to be the biggest threat to western countries like the UK I think (at least in the beginning). If you think the Syrian crisis is bad, wait until half the globe's arable land becomes uninhabitable. It's going to be absolute chaos.

The former requires harming the consumer.

The later requires weak willed governments. Possible but look at the reaction to the current refugee wave.
Original post by Rakas21

The UK only grows enough food to feed about half of its current population. That's it.

Canada won't starve. The US won't starve. The UK? Eh.
Reply 10
Original post by Rakas21
The former requires harming the consumer.

Global warming will harm consumers too.

Original post by Rakas21
The later requires weak willed governments. Possible but look at the reaction to the current refugee wave.

However the west chooses to react to the refugees, they're almost certainly going to have a major impact on our lives. There's just no escaping the effects unless we somehow invent space travel in the next 10 years.
the most practical step to help the planet is to have zero offspring.
Original post by Dez
Greed is king, and governments never care about the long term.
:sadnod:

:emo:
Original post by the bear
the most practical step to help the planet is to have zero offspring.
:erm:
Original post by Rakas21

Renewable energy growth is one of the biggest hopes. We need to get to a point where we are not needlessly wasting the planet's resources. Waste has to be high up on the list of things to address soon, not just rubbish but unnecessary stuff, like pointless Christmas decorations.
God will save us like he did with Noah's people.
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
Stop trying to make me feel bad, I am doing my best to save the planet!

I only eat organic, I tweet and FB all the time about environmentalism, and I spent my gap year going all around the world lecturing people about their carbon footprints.

#green #saveThePlanet #capitalismIsTheProblem

Sent from my iPhone

Organic isn't better for the environment. And how do you get to these places around the world? #carbonfootprint #hypocrite
Sooner the better.
I don't think humans are in danger of extinction over this. It's society that's in danger of collapsing. We could potentially be taken back hundreds of years. And nobody wants that, do they?

I think policy is partly to blame. Governments pushed for low CO2 cars without realising that the emissions tests are horrendously unrepresentative and tend to significantly inflate fuel consumption. This led manufacturers to make cars that did well in the tests while sacrificing real-life emissions performance. Not to mention that the manufacture of new goods such as cars is extremely damaging to the environment, but governments ignore that. People should keep their 5-10 year old cars and get as much use out of them as possible before buying a new Tesla. And talking of electric cars, those need to be used in conjunction with renewable energy. Those people who complain about it "ruining the landscape" should be ignored, because I tell you what ruins the landscape: flooding and acid rain.

But above all, people need to wise up and avoid buying stuff they don't really need. I'd rather people did this out of their own good will rather than governments having to implement some kind of CO2 rationing system, but if people are so selfish that it has to be done, I say do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending