The Student Room Group

CSAT Sample Paper Answers and Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CompSciCat

Spoiler

Thanks for the advice! :smile: I'll try it with that in mind, hopefully get the answer :biggrin:
Original post by uponthyhorse
Hey I'm getting a slightly different answer, when you're calculating the area of AB1C1, what value are you using for the base? Because the area of the first triangle for me was

Spoiler

Hey thanks for the correction! Yup I made a mistake in calculating the area of the first triangle AB1C1, you're correct

I also wrongly labelled my areas in the very first line but the result of the first line still holds

I've rewritten my workings below cos it'll be pretty messy if I change the previous one. Tell me if it matches yours!

Spoiler

Anyone done Sample Paper 2, Question 11?

Spoiler

Sample Paper 2, Question 11?

Spoiler

Original post by ImprobableCacti

Spoiler

@popicecold99 sorry it's upside down
Original post by CompSci in2k17
dont even know what im supposed to do? Write a script?

Spoiler

Spoiler

I understand what the problem is and how it works, I just have no clue how to solve it
For Paper 2 Q11, I got this:

Strategy (1)

Spoiler

Strategy (2)
Algorithm

Spoiler

-- Below is not required in question --

Faster algorithm

Spoiler

Difference in times

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by popicecold99

Spoiler

Spoiler

This was my method I think the end answer by was similar to popicecold I don't remember though

Spoiler

Original post by Integer123

Strategy (1)

Spoiler

Strategy (2)
Repetitive algorithm (I think this is what's meant in the question)

Spoiler

More efficient algorithm (might be this)

Spoiler

Ahh! I didn't take into account the fact that an item is being removed after each pass!
Original post by CompSci in2k17
I understand what the problem is and how it works, I just have no clue how to solve it

Try doing a couple of examples, e.g if you have [0,2] and [1,3] you essentially substract 2-1 to get to the answer, after a couple of examples a pattern should emerge. Then what happens if you use that method and there is no overlap?

Sorry if this isn't helpful I'm not great at explaining stuff :smile:

In the end I got to the answer

Spoiler

Original post by uponthyhorse
This was my method I think the end answer by was similar to popicecold I don't remember though

Spoiler

Yeah, that's exactly what I did. Has anyone got an answer for sample paper 2 question 12?

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Yeah, that's exactly what I did. Has anyone got an answer for sample paper 2 question 12?

Spoiler

Yes same although I did

Spoiler

Original post by southpacific
Here is my "so-called" solution to Paper 2 Question 4. It's not so elegant. Any better solutions? :biggrin:

Spoiler

Could you maybe explain why you took the difference between the 5th and 2 times the 4th?

Spoiler

Spoiler

Could you maybe explain why you took the difference between the 5th and 2 times the 4th?

To eliminate sigmaY, so the analysis can be made easier as there remain only 2 variables, sigmaX and z.
The problem is that this is a constructive proof. I'm not sure whether sigma X can be zero, so I prove "bigger than or equal to" at this stage and by finding an example I show the existence of "equal to "

Ps: nice to see you again :u:
Try doing a couple of examples, e.g if you have [0,2] and [1,3] you essentially substract 2-1 to get to the answer, after a couple of examples a pattern should emerge. Then what happens if you use that method and there is no overlap?

Sorry if this isn't helpful I'm not great at explaining stuff :smile:

In the end I got to the answer

Spoiler

Using max[0, is truely graceful!
Negative output can be avoided :wink:
Original post by southpacific
To eliminate sigmaY, so the analysis can be made easier as there remain only 2 variables, sigmaX and z.
The problem is that this is a constructive proof. I'm not sure whether sigma X can be zero, so I prove "bigger than or equal to" at this stage and by finding an example I show the existence of "equal to "

Ps: nice to see you again :u:

Ah alright, that makes sense, thanks :smile:
Original post by Integer123

Strategy (1)

Spoiler

Strategy (2)
Repetitive algorithm (I think this is what's meant in the question)

Spoiler

More efficient algorithm (might be this)

Spoiler

for strategy two

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mine was similar to yours, except

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending